how did you come to your producer/artist name?

naaathann

hello FP.
I have no producer name yet, and I was wondering, where y'all got your name from? did you made it up? is it a nickname given by someone else? maybe a funny story to tell with it?
share it here!

peace

For my emcee name... I noticed that most great emcees somehow use their first name in their name.. (or at least something that sounds like a name). Think: Nas, Tupac, Rakim, Andre 3000... I could go on forever. The ones that never seem to reach "elite" status as an amazing emcee usually have names that aren't proper nouns. Think: Ludacris, Big Boi from Outkast, Busta Rhymes. All good performers of course and they've made great money... but you'd never consider any of these guys as the greatest to ever do it.

Just an observation lol. I'm sure there may be a few exceptions I'm not thinking about at the moment.. but that's what I noticed in general.

So... my emcee name is Chris Phoenix. My first name + a symbol I feel I identify with.

As far as my producer name... unfortunately there's already a Chris Phoenix who's a notable producer. So, my producer name has to be different. I just took my middle name and my younger brother's middle name and combined them. Charles Allen.

I got mine because of my beliefs about society and whatnot. Elitist is a bad name for people like me, I just chose to embrace it. Lol.

Hmmm, Nathan, DJ Nothin'. No offence :) I stuck with my real name, it's very rare. Sometimes I think any name is fine. You just have to give it that quality by being a quality product yourself. I mean, which famous person has a bad name - don't they all most sound cool even if they would have been weird to call yourself that? Would u name your band 'slipknot', 'bullet for my valentine', 'insane clown posse'? And what about 'Blue'? If you don't have a real name just stick to yours until somebody gives you one for whatever reason and that will be interesting for your fans to read. Nickel back used to work in a restaurant and when they gave one particular client his change, he always gave a 'nickel back' - hey!

So what about DJ Nothin'? It's got a ring to it, no?

I give away my work for free:
http://kasimp3.co.za/s/4M5

If you want people to be able to find your music I would say that having some profound meaning behind your name would be less important than having something that is search engine friendly.

I was actually named "Focus" because I could flow all day, and have it make sense....
I was litterally Focused on every bar!
When I started producing I just decided to keep the name.
Thats the story behind that right there.

Mine was given to me ... back when I started rapping at like 13 or 14 all the other kids called me Young City, because I was the youngest and illest kid in the city... but that sounded stupid, so I dropped the young and left the City ... then when I started making beats I just made it "City Beats" ... it's unoriginal I know, but it was given to me... plus I have no idea what I'd change it to if I ever decided to change it lol

Wow thanks for al the replies! I still have no idea, i think i'll be nameless for a while. Thanks for all the tips and in the future i'll find a name!
peace

I use the name critta when I put tunes out. Happened to be watching Critters when I needed an artist name for a new soundcloud. Nothing serious.

last year my freshman year in highschool i was standing at the bus stop and a senior said u mad fly u think you a fly guy huh and so people called me fly guy so i used fly guy ty beatz but that was too long so i shortened it to FGT Beatz

Fataltone
Fatal=serious
tone=music
so serious music
when I use to rap my music was always pretty serious
and the nickname my family gave me when I was young was Tony instead of calling me Antonio
I also go by Coach Antonio
I also go by Tonezilla

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
hello FP.
I have no producer name yet, and I was wondering, where y'all got your name from? did you made it up? is it a nickname given by someone else? maybe a funny story to tell with it?
share it here!

peace

For a little under a year I was DJ Smithers, from my last name, but one day I was in weight training class sophomore year with my friend Shane. I just randomly said the name Cosmic Rift, because I love space and I thought it would be a great producer name for trance. I remember Shane laughing about it, because it was such a weird name. I literally pulled it right out of my head, and just rolled with it. I've been using the name ever since, and within a month I'll be trademarking it.

Brian

My best friend from my childhood game me my name because i allways went back to my old ways.
So he named me Relapse ( back in 2004 ) i added a 3 to the end of it, i dont remember why. so i been using it ever since.
I use it in a good way. relaps3 back to positive, when ive veered to the negative. if that makes sense.

then eminem put out that relaps3 Cd and even put a 3 on it and pissed me off.

Back