how to decide what to learn next?

NastyT

So my situation,

Long term unemployed for medical reasons, not as serious as it sounds but still been out of long term employment for 5 years and probably wont be back in work for another 3 years really...lets not go into details.

Im from a computing/programming background but not worked in that field for years as stated. Will add something in my signature to show what kind of skill ive got at the moment.

Id like to get back into music as a hobby but knowing what to learn is an issue, id like to work up to maybe performing on the local circuit and get on the lower side of being paid for a show a month or 2. Like get paid enough that im not loosing money in expenses to perform at a minimum you know what i mean ? Like a hobby that pays a bit. I think that a realistic and positive goal for someone in my situation who isnt trying to make a career out of it.

Ive recently rediscovered my passion for music, set myself up a basic home studio consisting of the following:

FL studio licensed copy
Plenty of VST's etc
Decent computer
Midi controller
Studio monitors
Audio interface
XLR RODE NT1-a mike

My question is what do you decide what you need to learn and how direct your time and studies of music to improve? I have a vague idea but need it to be clarified. Thinking that setting myself weekly goals for what tutorials i want to do is a good idea.

What do you already know? Easy question to ask, but sometimes harder to answer...

You could concentrate on music itself (theory, technical facility on an instrument, arranging techniques, etc.), or audio engineering/production. Lots to know in both areas.

What are your current skills regarding music and production? What are the things you want to learn?

GJ

I went to music college but dropped out after a year 15 years ago or so. Ive dabbled with music since then on and off....the last off was 5 years. I understand some music theory, definitely not enough though im using scaler vst to get round this lack of practical theory. I know how to write a simple bass line and arrange some harmony for it with the aid of chord generators etc (there is a link to my soundcloud in my profile for an idea of where i am at production wise..."Gone away" and "cant sleep" are some works in progress, the volume is not set properly so beware your volume levels).

I would like to know more theory, more about the keyboard relevant to electronic music/industrial metal (like NIN, Gary numan maybe).Arrangement techniques definitely needed as well as i struggle to arrange musical parts into a finished song.Sound design, sampling are also things id like to learn properly. Quite a long list i guess.

I would like to learn how to EQ and roughly master songs as well, a kind of jack of all trades but more learning towards making music/sound design type of skillset with the mastering etc more of a necessity imposed by financial restrictions as well as an interest.

Last edited:
So there you go... ^^^^

Make a numbered, prioritized list of your goals and objectives as stated above. Then proceed slowly and methodically using on-line resources, your local library, and a live local teacher/tutor if you have the time and budget available.

You will progress by leaps and bounds if you stick with it, and take it like a day job (if you have all this time on your hands, you should be able to study many more hours per day than the average working student). Go get ‘em.

GJ

That is straightforward, simple advice but immanently practical and applicable to me. I appreciate your advice. :D

Back