How to create sound of mims track

U

unclelarry

Ive got sort of a newb question, so I thought Id throw it in there. I searched, but did not find anything...

How can I create the climax swell sound heard in "This is why I'm hot" by by mims:

You can hear it at exactly 17 seconds and 41 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVckVtf-7Lk

I cant quite get it... Any tips?

Peace,
AJ

it sounds to me like its and orchestral crash or hit sample thats reversed and then played normally back to back, ya dig?

yea it would be one of the stock orc hits, reversed and timed with a regular orc hit. simple, mims sucks.

smh. It's no reversing you have to do, It's a preset Orch hit that does the whole thing. I'll find it and send it to you, it's in every hardware workstation/ROMPler vsti I can think of. The universal name for it is a reverse hit or hit lead up. It's as universal as a reversed snare or reversed cymbal.

Last edited:
My lord man. It's a very low quality reverse cymbal crash.

This song is one of the reasons the only time I enjoy mainstream rap is when im drunk.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
smh. It's no reversing you have to do, It's a preset Orch hit that does the whole thing. I'll find it and send it to you, it's in every hardware workstation/ROMPler vsti I can think of. The universal name for it is a reverse hit or hit lead up. It's as universal as a reversed snare or reversed cymbal.

what you said but the other way works also

Peace

Strings with a long attack and a cymbol crash... they will get you started, just build from that. Use Tremelo strings, they'll give you a better effect.

Last edited:
bxdiplomat said:
buy a motif
learn to play the keys
if u dont know what ur talking about its best not to say anything. its a string with a slow attack it all actually sounds like reason presets to be honest except the drums. the main lil synth is mellow triangle with a slowed attack the stig is automated to give that swelling feel on the volume and or attack not sure which but yea these are more than likely reason presets

Don't get me wrong, fellas, if you know how to make 1 go for it. But all it is is a preset, I'm not sure what it's in, but everytime I look for an orch stab I pass it(I know because I used to use it, but since that song came out, I stopped). So it probably is in Reason. Next time I run across it(within the next 48 hrs.)I'll make a wav file of it and post it.

But I know it's in enough stuff someone else shoulda known off tops it was a preset also.

(I know because I used to use it, but since that song came out, I stopped)

That shouldn't make you stop using it alltogether, it should make you start using it in other creative and interesting ways :D

It's the exact down to the t sound like the crunch tom in grindin by clipse. Everytime I play that hit and someone's in the studio they start singing mim's song.

I finally ended up grabbing a Orch hit of a casio keyboard, did the reverse thing, and Ive got a decent version of it.

That said, I could use a higher quality version: Im willing to paypal a bit to anyone who can send me a .wav file:

hindustan @ musician . org

(no spaces)

Preferably in the key of E, if possible.

Don't get me wrong, fellas, if you know how to make 1 go for it. But all it is is a preset, I'm not sure what it's in, but everytime I look for an orch stab I pass it(I know because I used to use it, but since that song came out, I stopped). So it probably is in Reason. Next time I run across it(within the next 48 hrs.)I'll make a wav file of it and post it.

But I know it's in enough stuff someone else shoulda known off tops it was a preset also.
that whole song still sounds like a reason preset to me the hit i believe in is the strings sonic refill tho

Xabiton said:
if u dont know what ur talking about its best not to say anything. its a string with a slow attack it all actually sounds like reason presets to be honest except the drums. the main lil synth is mellow triangle with a slowed attack the stig is automated to give that swelling feel on the volume and or attack not sure which but yea these are more than likely reason presets

actually he's right. That track melody-wise is basically all Motif presets. the main synth melody is the "Orbitsine" lead. i have the motif ES and Reason 3.0 so I know. one of the things I've noticed is that the motif and reason have a few somewhat similar patches in the synths department (the motifs are a lot better programmed/detailed though). someone told me a few years ago its probably because the team that designed some of Reason's stuff also did work for Yamaha.

dmensah1 said:
actually he's right. That track melody-wise is basically all Motif presets. the main synth melody is the "Orbitsine" lead. i have the motif ES and Reason 3.0 so I know. one of the things I've noticed is that the motif and reason have a few somewhat similar patches in the synths department (the motifs are a lot better programmed/detailed though). someone told me a few years ago its probably because the team that designed some of Reason's stuff also did work for Yamaha.
that sound can be found in a lot of places its not a motif exclusive sound i still stand by my it sounds like reason presets especially since i use that synth sound all the time its one of my favorite Reason presets my point of him not knowing is because he didnt ask where was it he said how can i make it. telling someone to buy something when they are trying to learn sound design is simply not helpful. so again if he has no idea its best that he just says nothing

Back