How can a 16 year old sell beats?

XerobX

Hi, im sort of new here and stuff and i want to be a producer and sell my rap beats. Im 16 so i don't really have a credit card or debit card. How can i use paypal then? I don't think my parents care enough about me producing to actually help me. So what can i do on my own so i can set things up?:bigeyes:

Last edited:
Practice for a few years til you're 18, and in the meantime try and get on that twitter and facebook and reach out to local cats.

I know how you feel, my parents never supported me either :(

You don’t need a credit card to use PayPal. Well, at least not in most countries. You can just use your bank card. Or is that what a debit card is? Because you will need that. I have a credit card but personally I never use it for PayPal, I only use PayPal with my bank card.

If that’s not possible, you could try to do what Charnell said — perhaps you could sell them via CDs and get the money cash?

If that’s not possible either, work on your beats, perfect them, and sell some bomb-ass stuff in 2 years!

Good luck :)

Can't you open a PayPal account when you're 16? I'm sure that's when I made mine or before then.

If you can't, do you have an older sibling or a friend you trust that could open one for you, or let you use theirs?

You might want to just sell your sounds to other companies for now until you are 18. Sure you can use something other than Pay Pal or a credit card until you turn 18 but remember you CAN NOT enter into a legal contract until you are 18 (at least in the U.S.).

What these means is that let's say you lease me a beat for $25 dollars. I can now take that beat over legally because the lease becomes void because you were not of legal age to enter into the agreement. I can then register this beat and it now becomes mine to sell for whatever I want to.

By the way you can make a good amount of coin selling your sounds to other companies. If your sounds are good connect with me and I will get them sold for you. Good luck man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you definitely just need a bank account for Paypal, I don’t know were you live but I already had a bank account way before I was 18 (actually, it was when I was 15).

I was not able to use Paypal back then because Paypal was pretty new at the time I think (or not so common as now at least) and rules varied in each country. In my country, you needed a credit card to be able to use it. Shortly after, they also allowed bank accounts.

I don’t know exactly how you set a bank account, but I don’t think you would need your parents. Unfortunately, I absolutely don’t remember how I did at the time :(

1. A minor cannot enter into a contract, so the legal definition of a minor in your local jurisdiction is the key point; in some US States that is until the age of 21.
  2. You will not be able to sell from a position of strong negotiation without parental consent to enter into contracts. Get your parents on board; show them what you do, explain how you can make money from what you do, and you may well be surprised at their response. My own son was selling games at the age of 16 with our knowledge and consent; he's now 18 and studying at the next level of game design and continues to write and sell games.
  3. Make sure that the proceeds of any contractual agreements go into a trust fund that can only be accessed when you reach your age of majority (i.e. when you can enter into contracts in your own right).
  4. Reach out to the local acts for your initial sales....

Last edited:
Hi, im sort of new here and stuff and i want to be a producer and sell my rap beats. Im 16 so i don't really have a credit card or debit card. How can i use paypal then? I don't think my parents care enough about me producing to actually help me. So what can i do on my own so i can set things up?:bigeyes:

you can get a greendot or walmart money card

and yes if you want to start selling first learn to network and build relationships,how to use your social networks and if you're in high school sell to classmates.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

you can get a greendot or walmart money card

and yes if you want to start selling first learn to network and build relationships,how to use your social networks and if you're in high school sell to classmates.

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

The others made it pretty clear, it's best to wait. Since your at such a great age, you should spend your time learning how to sell beats(or products for that matter). How to market yourself, and how to build a website/blog and soundclick.

oh and start saving money! You're going to need it.

Last edited:
Yup — but not only how to sell, also how to improve them! (the beats) I’m pretty sure by age 18 you will have improved so much in that short time, you’ll be wondering what that crap is, that you made two years ago!

Yup — but not only how to sell, also how to improve them! (the beats) I’m pretty sure by age 18 you will have improved so much in that short time, you’ll be wondering what that crap is, that you made two years ago!

That's very true, almost goes without saying but it's a good thing you did

You're moving too fast. Not to say that a 16 year old can't get paid for his music. Just that you're worrying about the wrong thing. Get your production game up. Study music for a little longer, at least until you can get your own bank account and start a paypal for yourself.
TRUTHBOMB
When you're following your passion, don't look to anyone to give you shit. No hand outs, no helping hands. Put the work and the time in on your own, and people will come out of the woodworks to be around you because they'll see you're about your business. If your parents don't believe in you, that's fine. Most people won't, but if you keep at it and make it your #1 priority, they'll come around.

Back