Hours preparation question

NoMirrors2713

Fell in Love with creating sounds/bears at around 19y.o. and I would like to have the ability to produce a legit professional radio ready record by the time I'm 42(7 years away)
Between full time work and school though I could only fit in about 1 hour each day to learning (music theory/everything involved with production) lol a little whacky question in a way being so far off but I'm like that and would feel hood that I could be co sided a professional ready at a hobby in 7 years.

So does 1 hour 7 days a week over the course of 7 years make me ready?

Thanks

Understand that hours/time put in can be wasted if it is not deliberate in relation to what you wish to learn and hours/time do not guarantee nor are a measure of "success." Forget "professional" and "career" and just make music, not noise. What separates "pros" from "wannabes" is the fact that people ignore how the eras many of the greats people idolize were in had the community ideal of making music as a normal thing absent of wanting to get paid to entertain the so-called masses.

Last edited:
Cmon man no one cares about your opinion. Besides the obvious anybody know or guess at hours equal to being comfortable with music theory/d.a.w./mastering etc. to be professional? Greatly appreciate it. 8)

Bruh.

Don’t be rude. You *literally asked* for her opinion, when you posted publicly on the forum. She is a member of this community and a moderator of the site. Please.

OK, my two cents, you are looking for a number. No one here can tell you. It depends on your available time, your focus/dedication during that time, your understanding of the gaps in your own knowledge that need filling, what/who/how you are choosing to study, practice, and learn... The best no-data guess anyone can give is “as much time as you can put in.” Don’t also disregard the option of having others do things for you that you can’t (mixing, mastering, etc.). But to get that done right, you will trade money for time.

Maybe a good approach would be to post some of your work for some constructive criticism and to sort of gauge where you are in the process. Don’t forget to get specific about your goals, and include some references to artists or albums that you feel would be in the same musical genre as you, just to provide a way to quantify “professional.”

We are here to help, but we’ll need more information to go on.

GJ

Back