Highly motivated but where to start?

First of all I want to say, that I am not a native English speaker. Feel free to correct me if something is written terribly wrong.

I started to make music with learning the guitar and make some rock music in different styles. I started to record, mix and master my own music. So I am already into music theory and production process.

So far I worked with acoustic sounds that I recorded. My interest for music growed and is growing rapidly and I lost my main interest for rock and metal. Not completly :).

Today I enjoy Hip Hop and EDM like Trap, Dubstep, Bass House, DnB ... and so on. Like Getter for example. My problem are the sounds and getting creative ( seems like I am unconcious copying a lot).

So with all the material out there, I feel flooded with information. Are there VSTi you can recommend? (I already use FM8, Sylenth, reFX Nexus and Absynth)And where toget first samples to work with? With Hip Hop beats I have the hardest issue. I love German Hip Hop Beats. They are really jazzy and have a lot of old school vibes with modern elements. In contrast the german style also features very modern beats, but more seldom and refering to pop-styles.

Do you have some general advices what I should focus on and how to get forward without getting stuck too much? I know it's a general rule that exercise makes the master :)

I am thankful for every hint you want to give me! :)

The best advice with VSTs is to not overload yourself. Limit your plugins - too many people out there get loads of them and then you'll end up overwhelmed... find a VST out the collection you have so far and learn it inside and out. Read the manual and watch youtube videos. Experiment. You'll learn far far more this way than by learning pieces of each one. When you have mastered one of them, you'll find that your knowledge can apply one way or another to other VSTs so the learning curve will be much easier next time round...

@Booster Original welcome to FP and I hope you will and do find this site to be informative, granted you don't ask the same questions many people ask upon joining. Please know that Trap is not EDM Trap as real Trap is a glorification of Atlanta drug/hustler culture set to music. Focus on the art of production and leave mixing and/or mastering to professionals whose expertise lies solely in those two distinct functions. If you have a physical music collection that is where your samples are to be found but you must have patience regarding sampling as it is an art form.

Last edited:
Hey boosterorginal thank you for checking out the forum. Overall I would say, keeping making beats every day, even if you don't like them, just keep at. That, in my opinion, is the best way to get better and build your sound. Also, I think you have enough plugins like everyone else said you dont want to overwhelm yourself its better to have a few vsts and learn them, than to have too many. Also I agree with OGbama you should let a professional handle your mixing and mastering later down the road, as you get more serious, but as a beginneer, I would spend time learning how to mix and master, a little bit because they are useful skills to have an, in the long run, these skills will make you a better producer. Also, don't be afraid to google or use youtube they are literally your best friends when it comes to getting better. Good luck, and thanks again for coming!

I can recommend you Ni Massive as vst. You can do a lot of different things, due you to its flexibility.

Hey welcome.

Ya, just go for a lot of exercises and practice. Production is a science, but music is an art. You'll need to be artistic and creative making the music, but scientific when your recording, mixing and mastering.

You appear to be more on the music side, since you're asking about VSTs and being creative so that's good. I think that should be 70% of your effort. The other 30%, no offense to this forum, is the production (you know, studio engineering shit) ....IF you're doing everything yourself like a lot of people these days. You can understand everything about production, but please don't touch an instrument or make a sound until you know music theory, or else we'll wind up with more shit music that sounds like a 4 year old got ahold of a lawn mower.

That's all. :) It is a lot of fun. And you'll enjoy it more and more everyday. Welcome to forum.

Last edited:
Download any looping app and start having A LOT of fun there first.

I'm a firm believer that you need to fall in love with the process first before you go in super hard.

(That and then download the free 30 day ableton live trial)

Back