Hey Mods......

SoulGhost

Why are members not allowed to delete their own threads?
On most forums when you want to delete a thread (you've started) you don't have
to go through a mod to delete it.Why is that?
It would be a lot easier than someone posting "delete this" or whatnot,right?

Peace

simple response from admins and mods in the past has been - if you don't want to say something, don't make a thread about it.

Unlike a lot of other sites this is tied to a publishing house and they view the content, however antiquated or otherwise silly, to be an important historical perspective on the development of the site and the development of the knowledge of the members over time.

They do delete threads that are obvious spam or piracy requests or attacks on individuals or groups and also delete posts they deem to be inflammatory or otherwise demeaning and offensive to individuals or groups

^That's pretty much the gist of it. The only requests I get to delete threads are where someone started a thread with something they didn't fully think over and then want to erase their embarrassment - which gets silly as soon as you realize you'd be erasing other people's efforts in said thread as well. Pretty much the only occasion when we actually intervene (besides piracy & overboard insults) is if someone's personal information gets wrongfully compromised, and even that rarely calls for deletion of an entire thread. Other forums can let their users do whatever they want, we have our own policy.

I just figured it would be easier for the member who started the thread to delete it if they made a
mistake(wrong vid,forum,whatever)but o.k..

Peace

Or then you can just check what you're posting and where before you hit "submit" :) I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a 5-10 "grace period" during which you could delete your thread, but that would require the functionality to be built into the forum software and afaik it doesn't exist.

Isn't this why we have an edit button? I'm the king of typo's. I think I honestly have 3-4 typo's per post, no lie.

And I've posted in the wrong forum before. Just ask it to be moved.... or copy/paste it to the right thread. If a mod catches it they'll delete it... or, you end up with 2 posts and get more answers. Not really a bad thing there.

Don't really see an issue here. If you didn't mean to say it, why'd you say it. Errors can be corrected.

I have never used a forum where I can delete a thread except the ones I moderate !

wow.............lol

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Isn't this why we have an edit button? I'm the king of typo's. I think I honestly have 3-4 typo's per post, no lie.

And I've posted in the wrong forum before. Just ask it to be moved.... or copy/paste it to the right thread. If a mod catches it they'll delete it... or, you end up with 2 posts and get more answers. Not really a bad thing there.

Don't really see an issue here. If you didn't mean to say it, why'd you say it. Errors can be corrected.

Yeah,thanks for your input.

Back