Help with monitor speakers and audio interface.

can somebody tell me what to set my monitor speakers at and on my audio interface I have 2 volume knobs one is says mixer and the other one is master. How are these supposed to be set too?

---------- Post added 01-18-2012 at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-17-2012 at 04:41 AM ----------

I have this interface PreSonus with these speakers...Amazon.com: Yamaha HS50M 5" Monitor Speaker: Musical Instruments

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

this is the back of them...can someone tell me what they have to be set at. pleaseRedirect Notice

Last edited:
can somebody tell me what to set my monitor speakers at and on my audio interface I have 2 volume knobs one is says mixer and the other one is master. How are these supposed to be set too?

The one that says "mixer" isn't really a volume control...it is what it says, mixing what's coming into the inputs and the playback from the computer. Its position obviously depends on what you're doing - just monitoring what you're recording; monitoring with playback or mixing (just playback). If you're direct monitoring the inputs, then you'll want to turn off monitoring for those tracks in the software; otherwise you'll get those signals twice: the direct signal and the software monitored signal (which has some latency), causing phasing and/or doubling (which isn't what's being recorded, of course, but it'll probably throw you off). And finally, if nothing's coming to the inputs and you're just listening the playback from your DAW, the mixer knob indeed acts like a volume knob (but is instead like a crossfader on a DJ mixer, if that helps). The master volume is what you want to use for actually controlling the output volume, since it's not very comfortable to adjust both the monitors each time.

this is the back of them...can someone tell me what they have to be set at. pleaseRedirect Notice

Not sure if there's a right way here - I don't even have a physical master volume on my interface (only the software control panel), so I just keep my monitors (and the software volume control) at full blast and control the volume with a TC Level Pilot.

I want to get more bass out of them

What gear are you working with. The monitors?

Here is how I set mine up if it helps. The master volume of the DAW is at 0 always. Before the signal gets to thew master fader of my DAW it goes through a sub mix channel where I apply some limiting, mainly to get it louder, the limiter ceiling is at -3db

Now for the monitor volume, while I 'm mixing I set it at conversation level. Not loud at all for the following reasons: No ear fatigue, and I can hear everything much better actually. This was advised to me by one of the pros on here.

Now if your monitors are too small, your bass response is not going to be good, and trying to compensate for that is going to throw your mix off. Which is why it is recommended to have monitors with a minimum of 100W, for proper bass response, if you can't afford that use bookshelf speakers, which is what I use, and set everything flat.

Trust me I used to mix on smaller speakers and the results were quite horrible.

I know some people swear by the smaller krk rokit monitors, but unless they are bigger than 100W, I personally will not use those.

whats the point of monitor speakrs then? just to hear highs n mids?

No. Monitors are important. But if you get monitors with too low wattage, it may not work for you.

I got used to my bookshelfs so they work for me.

Another thing you will hear from the pros is that room treatments for sound is also very key, and without proper room treatment, expensive monitors may be a waste of money.

So aside from brand, wattage is very important and often overlooked.

Well it may not be a waste. You must also "learn" the monitors.

What I did and still do from time to time. Is take a finished mix to my car. Listen to a radio station for a minute to get the sound. Than I pop in my finished mix and compare without adjusting treble or bass, then take notes on what I hear out of place, rinse repeat.

Once you "learned" your monitors, you will be more comfortable mixing and getting better results.

Also read up on optimal monitor placement

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Opps I just read this review on Amazon:

By
T Minus "T.M." (MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha HS50M 5" Monitor Speaker (Electronics)
The Worst Studio Monitors EVER!!!

(CAUTION) Everyone Don't Buy This Crap, bought a pair and first of all i don't think they are even a studio monitors these are crap no BASS at all and 2 days and one of them went dead contacted Yamaha support they told me they will send a replace for it received it dead, didn't work sent it again and after like 2 weeks they started making noise, which I didn't know where they were coming from tried them on another PC to check maybe it's my soundcard still this annoying zz noises ...

contacted the support again with no reply for like 2 month and then they told me to send them for a repair after like 10 days I got them they had this glue all over them and I didn't care then they started this noises back again and same story sent them and received them again.. so I did couple of a projects on them everyone kept telling me my mastering was bad, hi and the mids are very noisy and my bass is very low and again they both went dead for like the million time, so I sent them for refund and I bought the KRK RP8 G2 Rokit Powered Studio Monitor + 2 Whirlwind XLR 20' Cable's + Unique Squared Vinyl Stickers this is the real deal they are with me now for like 6 month not even a slight complain don't trust these crap, go with the higher Yamaha but those don't trust!!

Back