Help With Melody Ideas!!

OG_roshi

One of my biggest problems when working on a beat is coming up with a melody. I don't know if I should start with a melody in my head or try to put random notes and sounds together until I come up with something I like. It's getting to the point to where I might just sample other sounds for a while until I learn on to come up with melodies easier. If you can tell me how it is you come up with melodies maybe that can help me!

You can have the trial and error approach or you can study some theory on progressions, scales and ear training.

That makes sense, I'll take my time and try to learn more about progressions. I wonder if other producers have the same problem? Thanks for the tips

you have to learn scales (key signatures). Figure out what kind of emotion you want your music to be like, and find that scale. Play around with the notes from that scale. The notes are supposed to sound good together because they're from the same key signature.

I usually write melodies in F sharp Major, which creates a "triumph" emotion. You can feel that in some of my tracks. :)
Hope this helps! let me know if ya have any other questions.

My first instinct was to say learn and master scales because you will learn the ability to freestyle your melodies and this is what helps the top composers find their melodies, through years of mastering the scales. And then of course i saw Epsilon wrote something similar lol. Anyway that was my contribution. Peace!

Not sure if you have a keyboard but Having one helps a lot with quickly experimenting with melodies and chords.

Last edited:
I actually do (AKAI MPK mini) but I still make beats with my mouse. I guess I have to practice using the keyboard

Back