Hello World! This is DS!

DS!

Hello everyone,

my name is DS.

I am a 35 years old german who just loves music. While for the longest time I have "only" be listening to music, last year I started making my own music.
While I dabbled a little bit on a Keyboard, first as a kid and later on picked that up again, I never really recieved any musical education.

Last summer when I was talking to a friend, he was talking about picking up his hobby of producing music. This inspired me to give it a try again myself. I am saying again here, because around 20 years again I played around with the old "Magix Music Maker", but for some reason was not patient enough to keep at it.

So last summer I downloaded LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio) as that was the only free programm that I could think of and fell in love with making my own music. As I progressed I browsed the web for some tutorials here and there and tried to learn a few things about music theory, but most time goes into trying out things myself and just creating tracks. While I still want to learn more about music theory and music production in general, what matters most to me is just letting my imagination guide me, rather than trying to dampen my creativity by focussing too much on theory itself.

While I am open to all kinds of music, I favorites are in the electronic music genres like Dance, Trance and some Minimal and those are the directions which I lean towards myself.

*I´ll be making a post with my newest track in the song section too and would really appreciate getting some feedback on it. Just please don´t crush my spirit, I know I have a long way to go and I am open to criticism, but please keep in mind I am still really new to the whole music making thing :).

Looking forward to read what you think!

edit: *I just realised I need to make some posts first before I can post my tracks, as I am rather short on time right now this will most likely have to wait until tomorrow :).

Last edited:
Welcome and learning theory is a must as you must first learn the rules in order to break them. Theory prevents you from guessing what sounds good.

welcome man! we've all been there. its a hell of a journey but a really fun one. especially when you are doing it with your imagination as a guide. music theory is nice and pretty important, but honestly you can make some beautiful stuff by just picking a key and only playing those notes.

if you have any questions feel free to message me! i would be ore then happy to help.
Goodluck!

Love Calectic

Hello everyone,

my name is DS.

I am a 35 years old german who just loves music. While for the longest time I have "only" be listening to music, last year I started making my own music.
While I dabbled a little bit on a Keyboard, first as a kid and later on picked that up again, I never really recieved any musical education.

Last summer when I was talking to a friend, he was talking about picking up his hobby of producing music. This inspired me to give it a try again myself. I am saying again here, because around 20 years again I played around with the old "Magix Music Maker", but for some reason was not patient enough to keep at it.

So last summer I downloaded LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio) as that was the only free programm that I could think of and fell in love with making my own music. As I progressed I browsed the web for some tutorials here and there and tried to learn a few things about music theory, but most time goes into trying out things myself and just creating tracks. While I still want to learn more about music theory and music production in general, what matters most to me is just letting my imagination guide me, rather than trying to dampen my creativity by focussing too much on theory itself.

While I am open to all kinds of music, I favorites are in the electronic music genres like Dance, Trance and some Minimal and those are the directions which I lean towards myself.

*I´ll be making a post with my newest track in the song section too and would really appreciate getting some feedback on it. Just please don´t crush my spirit, I know I have a long way to go and I am open to criticism, but please keep in mind I am still really new to the whole music making thing :).

Looking forward to read what you think!

edit: *I just realised I need to make some posts first before I can post my tracks, as I am rather short on time right now this will most likely have to wait until tomorrow :).

Music Theory was boring to me at first. I avoided it because it wasn't interesting because I couldn't find ways to translate it into my own music. That was until it started making since after talking with friend I make music with. I understand more now, which makes theory interesting enough to stay awake through. I suspect it'll be the same for you once you've struggle with your own ideas hard enough.

Well, I am definetly not denying that music theory is very helpful. Just basic things like selecting your key, knowing which notes to find in the according key and learning about chord progressions already helped me a lot. But in general I just prefer going with my intuition. Now I might be wrong here, but this is exactly why even without having an idea, how to start my next track I still can just sit down. Start with just a very basic baseline and listen to it and let my mind wander.

Sure there is some trial and error there in my process and I am sure I can reduce the time wasted on the errors with more knowledge about music theory. But overall I find it more important for myself to just sit down and make music. So far I have not really been in the position that I made any songs that I really don´t like or where I would think something like "OMG my ears are bleeding!".

I certainly would be happy to know everything there is to know about music theory, but at this point it´s just a lot more fun for me to just make music and there certainly is no point in focussing just on the theory which would just suck the fun out of it for me.

Don´t get me wrong though, I appreciate any input and still take the music theory stuff seriously, however it still is more important for me that I enjoy my own music and of course that other people appreciate it as well. This is way more important for me than writing tracks that are "perfect" from a scientific point of view.

Here is a link to my soundcloud profile if you wanna find out more :)

Last edited:
Well, I am definetly not denying that music theory is very helpful. Just basic things like selecting your key, knowing which notes to find in the according key and learning about chord progressions already helped me a lot. But in general I just prefer going with my intuition. Now I might be wrong here, but this is exactly why even without having an idea, how to start my next track I still can just sit down. Start with just a very basic baseline and listen to it and let my mind wander.

Sure there is some trial and error there in my process and I am sure I can reduce the time wasted on the errors with more knowledge about music theory. But overall I find it more important for myself to just sit down and make music. So far I have not really been in the position that I made any songs that I really don´t like or where I would think something like "OMG my ears are bleeding!".

I certainly would be happy to know everything there is to know about music theory, but at this point it´s just a lot more fun for me to just make music and there certainly is no point in focussing just on the theory which would just suck the fun out of it for me.

Don´t get me wrong though, I appreciate any input and still take the music theory stuff seriously, however it still is more important for me that I enjoy my own music and of course that other people appreciate it as well. This is way more important for me than writing tracks that are "perfect" from a scientific point of view.

Here is a link to my soundcloud profile if you wanna find out more :)

You're on the right track, keep it up. One of the biggest careers mistakes I've ever made happened when I started losing all of my music. Between the moving around in life, things happening and technology changes I've literally lost the majority of the music I've made. Hell, I still kick myself for not taking better care of my business in the past. Learn from my mistakes, get your music out to people so it never really gets lost. Keep up the good work, I'm interested to hear and watch you progress.

Last edited:
Hey there and welcome on board DS. Its nice to see how everyone receives such a warm welcome here. Wishing you the best of luck and fun in the music production world!

You're on the right track, keep it up. One of the biggest careers mistakes I've ever made happened when I started losing all of my music. Between the moving around in life, things happening and technology changes I've literally lost the majority of the music I've made. Hell, I still kick myself for not taking better care of my business in the past. Learn from my mistakes, get your music out to people so it never really gets lost. Keep up the good work, I'm interested to hear and watch you progress.

Yeah I can imagine that something like that really is a PITA. I am always worried that my crappy PC gives out on me and I lose some projects, however I at least try to make backups here and there, but should definetly do it a lot more often :). And of course the tracks I like myself get uploaded so worsed case scenario I lose some stuff I made, but in the end if something like that happens..... I can always make new songs :).

PS: Thanks for the kind words.

Back