Good starting setups for beginners that ill be able to add to

Baxtron9293

I am wanting to start recording and producing my own music and then turn it into doing that for others. I just need to know the essentials that i will need to start off. I have a MacBook Pro right now and a MIDI keyboard. I guess i just need to know what else i need from there so i can get started. Software,guitar plugins, monitors, ect.. thanks!

Are you looking for specific models of those things or just what kind of things in general?

I'm gonna assume it's the second one, so then I'd say you got what you need listed right there.

You need a DAW, headphones and/or monitors and preferably an audio interface! That's about all you need to get started making music.

Last edited:
why not just make a huge amount of practice beats then worry about getting optional equipment afterwards?
You need headphones and monitors though those are definitely needed.audio interface will kell off lags too.
Out of curiosity, connected a 1ghz windows tablet to omnisphere and zebra vst then a focusrite, latency went down to like 10ms.on a low end windows tablet.
It's gonna be fine on your mac.

One thing to line up first is making sure it is all MAC compatible.

For instance many software does not accommodate all OP Operating Systems in MAC. So, search around this forum and see what you like. There are many suggestions for synths, drums, and DAWs. Already posted. Take your time, because nobody starts off that fast and just makes a hit their first year, you have time. That's my guess.

If you have a MAC, use logic or pro tools. Logic is really cool, and pro tools is industry standard, so it's up to you really.
You need great monitors. Great headphones here are not as important. What you pay for is what you get with monitors.. Mine cost about 400 each (got them on Kijiji for 400 for the PAIR). They are very good, but ofcourse if I payed double they'd be even better. Sometimes I misjudge the lower frequencies and have to go in again and re mix the bass.
You need an interface. Around 150$ can get you a great starting interface. My first was the TASCAM USmk144. Great interface.
If your recording vocals I suggest the AT2020 for 100$. BEST mic in that price range.

That's about all you need! For producing, you just need a midi keyboard.

Best of luck!
-Yovi

One thing I can confidently say is don't move too fast. I remember splurging on all of this gear in about 2 weeks and had way too much to handle. Other than a DAW, which is obviously necessary, I would definitely start with a pair of monitors, a keyboard and an interface (not necessary, but if you have the extra cash it's a good investment).

Spend more time investing in your art rather than your gear and let the gear come to you as you develop your craft.

Last edited:
Spend more time investing in your art rather than your gear and let the gear come to you as you develop your craft.

Yes! Very good advice. It's very easy to get overwhelmed by equipment.

But do keep in mind- if you don't have the equipment you need i.e good monitors, you won't be able to mix your kick so it HITS HARD and you'll be frustrated as to why your music can't match others kicks. You won't be happy with your outcome.

I know you said to get monitors, but this can apply for even keyboards. If you get a keyboard with those mini keys your in for a hard time.

-yovi

I'm with Footgun.
pack as much ram in that MacBook as you can!

If you're on Mac the Logic makes sense IMO but you might prefer the workflow of something like Ableton...
Get decent headphones (and make sure you factor 'comfort' into your options!!)

Back