Good starter keyboard/other hardware?

DavidStarz

I just started getting into producing and have been studying a lot. I'm using currently learning Reason 5 on a MacBook Pro along with ReCycle for chopping samples. Most likely will be rewired to my Logic 9. When I get the money and learned Reason correctly, I'm looking to buy a keyboard first, but afterwards, I wanted some hardware with pads to control the drums and samples I chop up. Does anyone have some suggestions I can look into?

*Apologize for the "rookie" description, but I'm still trying to learn more producing hardware and never figured out the correct term for it*

Are you looking specifically for a "classic" keyboard or a midi controller? I'm going to assume a midi is what you're after. Brands you'd want to look at would be Akai, M-Audio, or Novation. A lot of these come with a mix of both keys & controller functions such as knobs and sliders, arpeggiators, aftertouch, etc. All things you might want to think about, before you buy. Some even come with 4, 8, 12, or 16 drum pads with them, if you wanted an all-in-one machine. But best thing I can say is just start researching on your own, you'll find out some features that you may find useful and others you don't. It's all up to you, it's your money. Buy what you think will be most helpful for you.

Back