GO To Labels or Publishers with demo?

blazemyl

Hi all. : I produce tracks, write in R&b/Hip Hop Club banga style. Me and a longtime associate put together about 10 or so tracks , him rhyming and me creating beats, both of us making hooks and writing and singing the hooks. Going in to master 4 joints next week.

I just recently peeped this site:D ! So all this knowledge has me seeking the collective wisdom here on what our next moves are with this 4 song demo CD:
1.) We want primarily to sell our songs (believe they can be hits for other artists , new or established)

2.) We wouldn't mind selling the tracks without the hooks(vocals and singing) if need be or just with hooks

3.) Locally still looking for serious MC's & singas so for now we do it ourselves, but we're not trying to be the artists at this time.

So without running on too much:

What biz wise should be taken care of 1st (besides copyrights, both of us are ASCAP(as writers, no pub co. yet)?

Who (labels? publishers? etc.) should we approach with the 4 song mastered demo, and how to professionally get our purpose across?
Finally, If we're only doing the MC'in and singing ourselves to show the whole formula, but not wanting to be the artists, does that change the packaging....or is it even a common practice...

Thanks all for hearing me out!
BlazeMyl

use the search function and type in the user name SHONDRAE. he ahs dropped a bunch of knowledge on this subject and he knows his ish. he's in the biz with Def Jam South.

Shondrae,

What made you go with chingy unstead of the other peeps from the DTP family?

Thanks ALL

Thanks much for the info. Just a follow up or 2... I often hear "networking "mentioned.. how does that exactly work

Is it like you said, Shondrae, just emailing or calling the songwriters ,small publishers,etc. just asking "if they need material,etc.?"

Otherwise when i contact ..is the reaction like "who the >is this?" Mm...Maybe im bein too negative...still learning, seems like more Ive learned the more I notice i dont know..:o .:confused:

Re: Thanks ALL

blazemyl said:
Thanks much for the info. Just a follow up or 2... I often hear "networking "mentioned.. how does that exactly work

Is it like you said, Shondrae, just emailing or calling the songwriters ,small publishers,etc. just asking "if they need material,etc.?"

Otherwise when i contact ..is the reaction like "who the >is this?" Mm...Maybe im bein too negative...still learning, seems like more Ive learned the more I notice i dont know..:o .:confused:

"Networking"

Go to all the concerts you can. Try and meet the promoters, DJ's, everyone you can. Even the damn people who set up the stage. Talk about your projects, give them a demo, or whatever.

Hang out at the local radio stations and college radio stations. Talk about your projects, give them a demo, or whatever.

Purchase the Billboard independent touring guide. They always have ads of music conventions and showcases coming up. You better believe this is where the "bigwigs" go. Go to one, stand outside the building if you have to. Then start parking lot pimping. Give away anything you can.

The Barbershop is one of the best places. Just give your barber a stack of your demo's and tell him to help you out. Remember, they cut lots of people hair.

There are more ways, but those are some examples.

Back