getting more impact in my low end bass

alrightythen

hey guys just wondering if anyone can give me any advice or tips on getting more solid low end coming through my mix, should i cut all the instruments that aernt bass say around 400hz and higher so the bass has more space? just finding it hard to have hard hitting basslines. if i keep adding more sounds to the bass will that help? as ive tried it but ends kind of to muddy and the different bass sounds tend to clash a bit anyways thanks some examples are here https://soundcloud.com/mr-sampsin

Last edited:
What kind of bass sound are we dealing with? And by what do you mean with more impact? Heavier bass o more hardhitting?

As for cutting, there is no given cutoff frequency where you should highpass everything else, just highpass to your liking, some sounds barely even need any highpassing.

a more effective measure of where to hi-pass is to consider what the lowest note in the part is, work out its frequency, subtract a few Hz (could be anything from 2Hz-40Hz depending on teh freq) and use that as your corner frequency

example: yesterday we recorded bass part that went down to G on the E string (ca 49.9Hz); when eqing it, high-pass was set to 48Hz, low pass was set to 3kHz and I also took a little out at 350Hz - Q was about 2.5

another track done 5 months ago, I high-passed a male vocal at 700Hz - as much to have the sense of a megaphone as cutting everything that was not needed

I'll listen to your audio later today (when the sun is up - it's 4:13 here in sunny Oz)

hey guys thanks for the replies, kind of more hard hitting just without it started to get to muddy or clash with other elements just want it to have its own space and im mainly making edm electro dance music. any good tutorials would be appreciated

Last edited:
Listening to some of your tracks I noticed that a lot of your basses where in a fairly high octave. Go to some of your tracks and try transposing the bassline down an octave, and maybe move a few notes here and there so it stays even after you've pitched it down. That thing by itself should add some difference.
And when you actually use a deeper bass you still boost the same frequency range as where you otherwise have those very highpitched basses (if it has some harmonics there), making it muddy.
Another thing I noticed is that you seem to rely a lot on just a plain sub - not many frequencies going on there, maybe only 1 or 2 harmonics. Maybe you could try adding some bass synths or even a bass guitar to make it pull the track forward a little more and make the bass cut through a little more on smaller speakers.

Otherwise, one thing you can do to make your bass stand out a little more is editing the ADSR of it to make it hit harder. For instance, use a fairly short decay, like the same length as a regular kick would have, and maybe 70 % sustain, then turn the sound back up a little bit and the bass should hit a little harder.

On a sidenote, there are a lot of things that can improve in your songs, so read the post linked here:
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...music-feedback-common-issues-feedback-487973/

Back