Which genre should I produce ?

Vhz

I’ve been producing instrumental backing tracks for songs for clients for about 20 years.
But now I want to make my own instrumental music.
which genres are most of the people listening to now on YouTube and Spotify ?
and which genres need more music for the listeners ( are the ones that have a lot of listeners but not too much music to listen to ) ?

I heard HipHop and EDM were always the most popular ones.
but now a lot of people are also listening to SynthWave, Trap, and LoFi-HipHop ?

Any of these are fine, I'd personally go with trap beats bcz they're easier/faster to make (imo) than EDM

since it sounds like you're proficient enough to produce kinda whatever you want, I'd say experiment with whatever is most enjoyable and release a few tracks and see what gets the most traction. if you're doing some vastly different stuff and want to keep them seperate, fuck it make a new artist name for each genre, but i feel like multi genre artists are also in so your move

Yea I was also thinking if I should do different genres under different artists names, so it’s not confusing for the listener.
like one artist account for trap / hip-hop,
another for orchestral / cinematic,
and third one for easy listening / smooth jazz type of stuff

but it’s gonna be more expansive to have 3 different artist accounts and probably little more time consuming to manage.

or maybe just release different genres under different albums ? But I mostly are planning to do singles not albums tho.

Last edited:
I’ve been producing instrumental backing tracks for songs for clients for about 20 years.
But now I want to make my own instrumental music.
which genres are most of the people listening to now on YouTube and Spotify ?
and which genres need more music for the listeners ( are the ones that have a lot of listeners but not too much music to listen to ) ?

I heard HipHop and EDM were always the most popular ones.
but now a lot of people are also listening to SynthWave, Trap, and LoFi-HipHop ?

I hate genre's just make music :)

Back