A general survey....5 Beats a day...?

IMthatGUY

Kanye West claims that he did 5 beats a day for 3 summers(which is easy for him because he samples his ass off). I wanna know how many of y'all can actaully make good beats doing 5 beats a day...

The most I have done in a day were 2 complete ones . . .

Most of the time I start a beat and get like mid way with it and then I leave it and comeback fresh the next day and finish it up

Kanye is really cocky when it comes to himself so . . .

Thats like when heatmakerz say they can knock out a beat in 10 minutes. Yea they knock out the quick looped sample but never a full track in 10 min.

Last edited:
IMthatGUY said:
Kanye West claims that he did 5 beats a day for 3 summers(which is easy for him because he samples his ass off). I wanna know how many of y'all can actaully make good beats doing 5 beats a day...

I can honestly say that i can.. its alot easier when you have your sounds organized and you have no current Projects and your just making what you wanna make.. easy as hell to bang out 5 or more Beats a day..

Now Actually Produced Tracks thats diff

people think its impossible, Just takes Practice

* Not saying i make 5 beats everyday but i mean if i got the 10 hours for just making beats oh i could crank out alot*

Last edited:
Thats like when heatmakerz say they can knock out a beat in 10 minutes. Yea they knock out the quick looped sample but never a full track in 10 min. [/B]

thats all a beat is loops 1-8 bars thats all u need.. the rest is just looped
then touched up with the add and subtrack method

H&R said:

Kanye is really cocky when it comes to himself so . . .

Yep.

I used to do beats like that, 5 a day or such. Now? Nah. I have too many other things to do. It's easy if you already have all of your material that you want to use though, or organized material like stated earlier. I don't even try though. Sometimes I probably get that many done in a day, other times I do 3 per week. These are "beats" though. I can work on other genre material for about a week or two....on one song.

It's not hard I just think it's unecessary to do five EVERY DAY . . .

Hell when your on a roll your own a roll bang out as many as you can before that high dies down.

Sure there are some days where I finish one and hop on the next and if I finish that I do another but really would get tired and need to give your ears a rest.

But it's Kanye he'd never admit to anything less than the (cocky) best. I like the beats but hate the man lol.

i make 84 beats a day

hehe jk :) but if i just sampled a new batch of vinyl i could easily make 5 beats and finish one of em up real solid (but if Kanye does 5 a day, i am going to do 5 a day) lol

sweatynutz said:
define "beat"...I can make a 2 bar loop in 15 minutes, but it's not exactly a finished production.

Beat = bare Bones a produced song

hmm for example Drop it like its hot take the artist's off thats your beat

or u can get technical and call it an instrumental because Drums tracks are actual Beats.. but in Hiphop space blah blah u get the point

Last edited:
If you don't have another job or no other obligations and you're in a studio for 10-12 hours a day, then u can do it. That's your job. You should be able to crank out a decent beat every 2 hours with a break for lunch. I don't see why not. If someone can't do that, then producing is not for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
JiggSaw said:
If you don't have another job or no other obligations and you're in a studio for 10-12 hours a day, then u can do it. That's your job. You should be able to crank out a decent beat every 2 hours with a break for lunch. I don't see hy not. If someone can't do that, then producing is not for them.

i feel you also Producing and beat making aint the same thing you dont have to know how to make beats to produce :)

thats what most people are these days "Beatmakers" never produced a full track in there life they just sit make beats and go "yo im a producer" lol get outta here

Last edited:
Whats up everyboy?

I agree with JiggSaw and everybody else. If you don't have other stuff that you need to do then its possible to do 5 a day. But i don't really see a point in doing it. I think Kanye attitude would be totally different if he didn't sample so much..

The way I see it is I cant force when inspiration is going to hit me or when I'm in my zone. Usually I sit in front of the sampler light a L throw on some old records and if something comes to me I make it but if it doesnt hit me then I guess I dont make a beat that day. I can make 5 beats on tuesday and not have another good idea till friday or i can go three four weeks just making 5 beats everyday. It all depends.

Dj-FSC said:
Whats up everyboy?

I agree with JiggSaw and everybody else. If you don't have other stuff that you need to do then its possible to do 5 a day. But i don't really see a point in doing it. I think Kanye attitude would be totally different if he didn't sample so much..

Kanye was saying that to show how hungry he was and how much time and dedication he put into his artform. And as for everybody saying well if you dont have any other obligations you can do this and that the only thing i dont like about that is it doesnt seem like your music comes first in your life. Music is above everything to me except family which means school, my 9-5, and anything else I may be obliged to do. Yeah you may have to work to put food on the table but if producin or rappin or whatever you do isnt number 1 in your life maybe you should keep it a hobby. Because you know just as well as I do this is not a talent triumphs over everything business. It's about who grinds the hardest and who is willing to lose the most. Those are the only people who are making it today. And while yall are handeling other things Im outgrindin you the same way it's another ni99a out there trying to outgrind me. The moral of this story: If music doesnt come before everything keep it as a hobby.

Lol i didn't say that music didn't come first in my life. And kanye didn't say that music was first in his either. He said 5 beats a day during the summer. So It looks like to me that something else had his attention if he waited until the summer to push out 5 beats a day. And music doesn't have to come before everything else. I believe that you can grind hard and keep it all. And believe me there is no way that you can out grind me unless you cut my fingers off.. There is more than one way to grind in the music biz today then just sittin in your house or at the studio tappin on your beat machine all day. Trust me..

But on the other hand, I see where your coming from. Because i use to think the same way...

Not tryin to sound rude but the moral of this story is: If you think you have to toss out everything in your life just to make it then retire your beat machine and your mic cause i'm takin over.. simple as that..

If I had nothing to do during the summer and had 16 hours a day to make beats I could probably bang out 5 or more tracks. I don't think mine would be that great cause I don't function well when I'm tired.

Quickest completely mixed beat I ever made was 3 weeks. -workin at least a few hours every day. often many hours.

Back