Gear suggestion for a newbie (mic, maschine mk3, turntable, preamp)

peshti

Hey guys so I'm starting to get satisfied with my sampling, I sample in fl studio with a mouse. I used to have a maschine mk2 but it never clicked with me, I might buy mk3 because now when I got more understanding of sampling I think it will click, however this is not something I know and this is just a little bit of my story just so you all know where I am coming from.

Here is what I own:

Focusrite 2i2 audio interface, audio technica mxh50 headphones and a good computer made for creating music. It's a really good computer trust me, I don't only create sampled beats, I compose cinematic music. I also own fl studio.

So here is what's on my radar.

Mic: Shure sm7b
Preamp: Focusrite Isa One.
Sampler/Hardware: Maschine Mk3
Turntable: I was going with technics but they are kinda of hard to come by for a reasonable price in Sweden and maybe it's overkill for sampling and scratching? Suggestions?

The turntable is really the least important part in the beginning since I can sample from the web etc. But I want to go old school in the future, buy records in a flea market etc.

Also I will get a mic for rapping and my reason for a shure sm7b is because my room is untreated. I know someone will write treat your room but I can't really, I don't live alone, and all my gear is in the living room, heck I don't even have a computer screen, it's hooked to the tv, that's how much I'm compromising gear and space.

There is a smal chance that I will treat a room since one person living there is travelling a lot and maybe sleeps in that room 2 days every month, so maybe he wont mind and that's the only slim chance.

Can I get good quality on a shure sm7b with a untreated room?

So that's my story and any insight I can get is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

If you position the mic right you'll probably be fine. As long as the room has some regular furniture in it to help deflect and soak up the reflections you should be ok for rapping. Honestly though, if it's just for rapping you could get away with just a SM57 which is 1/4 of the price. Ultimately, the quality of the vocal performance is going to be the biggest factor. As an example, I recorded this track in a basement on a $100 SM57 and the sound quality of the vocals is solid.

On another note, you don't need a super nice Technics if you're just sampling. However, if you're scratching it's a whole different game because you'll want a turntable with enough power to pick up the record when you stop it and then let it go... In general, most mid to lower mid range turntables will be just find for sampling if you're not planning on doing crazy scratching. However, if you are scratching you'll need a mixer too so expect that added expense as well as wanting to shell out a little more for a nice table.

Back