Future Producers, should I get FL Studio 11?

do people who criticize any daw know what they're talking about beforehand?most daws back then were inferior literally but that isnt the case anymore.

fl didn't become full till 8.
cubase got full at 5.
reason got full at 5.

yes, fruity loops was a simple drummachine for sony's daw at one point.fl studio used to be a vst :/

I would say that most of the time people do not have anything real to backup their statements of why one daw is better than the other except isolated features that are present in one but not the other. People often change their opinion like the wind changes direction, probably to justify their own actions in a subconscious fashion.

I haven't seen anything real objective about the matter on this forum yet.. Maybe one day I get to see it.

Last edited:
1. a) "Patcher", a routing plugin where you can insert plugins inside it and route everything manually.
You can do all kinds of crazy things, experiment with advanced parallel techniques, etc.
Since you can do manual parallel processing inside Patcher, you can use it as virtual parallel tracks, and therefore save a lot of mixertracks.
You can also save a lot of effectslots since you can stack a bunch of plugins inside the patcher.
The con? It can end up being quite CPU-heavy.
b) The Fruity Limiter, a compressor (with sidechain input available), a gate, and a limiter in one plugin, with visual representation of the amplitude.
Instead of using 3 different plugins, you use just 1. And you can adjust it so there's 0 latency, and therefore make for example a quick parallel compression in a serial effectchain.
The con? There's no sidechain input for the gate, and in the end it can start consuming a lot of CPU if you have dozens of it.
c) Harmor, one of the synths. It has very, very detailed additive capabilities, as well as additive resampling capabilities.

2. What I like: for pure producing, it feels like there's a lot of stuff you can experiment with, and it covers a lot of the different techniques in synthesis.
What I dislike: sometimes it feels like it could be better in for example the "Playlist"-section where you build the song.
Especially when dealing with automations, you just stack up more and more automations in the Playlist, while softwares have developed a fine automationsystem enhancing the navigation and the workflow.
And as far as I've read, FL has a flaw with some of the MIDI-capabilites.

Note that I haven't used any other software (more than had a quick look into them), so I don't know if other softwares have their versions of the things I mentioned about FL.

Hope this helps you out.

This is extremely helpful, now I can talk about FL Studio with a bit more confidence. And, I'll be sure share this info with new interested in the DAW. Thanks for you response! On my way in work now, I'll look into your response further when I get there.

I would say that most of the time people do not have anything real to backup their statements of why one daw is better than the other except isolated features that are present in one but not the other. People often change their opinion like the wind changes direction, probably to justify their own actions in a subconscious fashion.

I haven't seen anything real subjective about the matter on this forum yet.. Maybe one day I get to see it.

Change is required to live and survive. Failure to change means death, therefore, everyone who's alive changes over time. I have no problems admitting when I wrong about something.

Last edited:
Change is required to live and survive. Failure to change means death, therefore, everyone who's alive changes over time. I have no problems admitting when I wrong about something.

Good point!

Just saying, sometimes I think that the reason is more shallow than what you are implying, nevertheless I do agree with you.

Ok, well I have been using FL since the beginning, so I have quite a bit of experience with it, Im just kind of a jerk. :D
You have kind of high level overview type questions, and I dont want to just ramble on.

So, "real talk", :) Since you have experience with other DAWs and know the kind of functions you might need, you should really check out the 'FL Guru' thread-
FL Studio Guru - Video Tutorial Series (Topic) • Image-Line
It is a bunch of videos that kind of highlight all of FLs 'fancy' features, that not many people know about, or need to use. For experienced folks, who dont know FL, its a good jump start.
I guarantee that thread will have at least a couple things that make you go "Woah!".
It does for me, and Ive been deep into FL daily for over a decade.
Its also a really good way to quickly show experienced folks that FL is far beyond a toy, and actually beats out a lot of other DAWs on 'modern' functions.
Start there, and youll be very interested in checking out a demo. ;)

Ok, well I have been using FL since the beginning, so I have quite a bit of experience with it, Im just kind of a jerk. :D
You have kind of high level overview type questions, and I dont want to just ramble on.

So, "real talk", :) Since you have experience with other DAWs and know the kind of functions you might need, you should really check out the 'FL Guru' thread-
FL Studio Guru - Video Tutorial Series (Topic) • Image-Line
It is a bunch of videos that kind of highlight all of FLs 'fancy' features, that not many people know about, or need to use. For experienced folks, who dont know FL, its a good jump start.
I guarantee that thread will have at least a couple things that make you go "Woah!".
It does for me, and Ive been deep into FL daily for over a decade.
Its also a really good way to quickly show experienced folks that FL is far beyond a toy, and actually beats out a lot of other DAWs on 'modern' functions.
Start there, and youll be very interested in checking out a demo. ;)

On the Image-Line thread, right now. I appreciate your added notations and the Guru Thread link up. Now I can see the power behind FL Studio, they've come a looong way from what they were back in the day. Looks like I'll be adding this to my DAW, it should prove useful in certain sessions. Edison Noise Removal seems like a nice tool for removing Noise N The Hood, get it?

FL Studio seems simple enough for anyone with basic software experience. It would be a great recommendation for producers who need a serious program or those who would additional workflow elements. It's amazing how many different tools we can use to work on songs, including FL Studio.

It does look like it can hog up processing power though, the graphics and plugin use that need to be used at once and all. I'm not concerned with that personally, but it could be a problem for some of my customers and friends. The DAW I'm building should withstand pretty much anything I throw into it; however, it's not fair to tell everyone to get what I get; or do I want them to do.

Also, how many of you guys use FL Studio on Mac systems? I'd like gauge how safe it is to use on them. This is a concern to some of my customers. I'd feel safe trying it out own my own setup, but is it sometimesy on Mac computers?

Please don't make this a "Best DAW in the Streets Post!" This isn't a debate, I simply need to know your thoughts on using FL Studio 11 professionally.

Because Image-Line is outside of the United States, official certified training doesn't exist for me. So for now, I'm relying on their website, youtube channel and you guys for information until I can decide if its worth owning. Please post your videos or sound examples here as references if you can and don't mind doing so.

I'm thinking of getting FL Studio 11 after a discussion in another thread on FP, and here's why. I'm rebuilding my DAW and have access to a ton of gear, special pricing and access to music business services. It's become apparent that FL Studio users are die hard fans of the software. I know this because of a literally basic comment I made that left FL gangstas ready to pull my card.

:berzerk: It's real out here in the DAW...

View attachment 42313

Some Future Producers believe it's the the only program needed for a Digital Audio Workstation. They believe it's the end all be all of making beats. Now I'm more curious than ever about FL Studio 11 and how it's used today.

• How well does FL Studio 11 work with programs like Ableton Live 9?
  • What specific plugins do you like most about FL Studio?
  • If you have any other software already, would you still get FL Studio at some point?
  • How does it work with gear like the MOOG SLIMPHATTY or workstations like Yamaha's Motif?
  • Can I record an entire drum kit with it or would I need something else?
  • What do you like most and least about FL Studio, what's it like?
  • Should I know anything specific about producing with FL Studio?
I currently own other programs and only need ways to expand what I already have. I'm not looking to replace software or anything like that. I just want to continue the build up of my DAW and produce music. Wasting time and money aren't options for me, it takes too long time to save up for gear. I'd be disappointed if either were wasted on an unused programs.

I've never seen anyone use FL Studio in a professional multitrack recording session, yet FL enthusiasts swear it's possible, are there any examples of this using FL Studio? I've seen one tracks recorded at a time and FL loop recording capabilities. I'd Like to see multiple inputs recorded at the same time though. Some friends have told me this doesn't work well in FL Studio, which is why I'd like to see an example of this myself. They don't know everything about everything. Ableton Live 9 and Push have dramatically changes the way I make beats and I'm open to FL Studio's influence as well.

Sorry for the long list of explanations and questions, but they're necessary in this case. For what it's worth, your credibility could be noted with a link in my next article.

It really all depends on what type of music you are producing. If your producing hip hop. I'd say it would he of use for you.

Yes, you can learn a whole lot from image line. You can subscribe to them on your tube and they really cover pretty much every aspect of fl studio. The dudes voice just so boring, lol.

FL is great for creating, that's the basis of what it's use for. However, I wouldn't record vocals in it and I wouldn't mix in it. Your mixing presets are probably better in another DAW. Unless you have lots of vsts, but sends are a bit more tricky in FL as well. It's a run around to set up a pre fader if you'd like and NY compression is much easier in other DAWs.

It is very beneficial though for creating like I said before. If your looking to just make beats, go for it. If your looking to make beats and produce, I'd suggest it still, but possibly grab Studio One to track vocals in as well.

Hope this helps.

It really all depends on what type of music you are producing. If your producing hip hop. I'd say it would he of use for you.

Yes, you can learn a whole lot from image line. You can subscribe to them on your tube and they really cover pretty much every aspect of fl studio. The dudes voice just so boring, lol.

FL is great for creating, that's the basis of what it's use for. However, I wouldn't record vocals in it and I wouldn't mix in it. Your mixing presets are probably better in another DAW. Unless you have lots of vsts, but sends are a bit more tricky in FL as well. It's a run around to set up a pre fader if you'd like and NY compression is much easier in other DAWs.

It is very beneficial though for creating like I said before. If your looking to just make beats, go for it. If your looking to make beats and produce, I'd suggest it still, but possibly grab Studio One to track vocals in as well.

Hope this helps.

I'm producing for hip hop and other styles of music. It seems like you're saying, even though it's possible to record or perform using for multitrack methods, FL Studio wouldn't be as practical as other programs can be. Is that accurate, which one would you prefer for those jobs? I've decide to get it btw, although it'll be a little while before I have the money. VST's in FL Studio seem awesome and I'd really like to use some of them. Besides, a producer can never have enough plugins or workflow strategies; even though I wouldn't be using them all at once or anything like that.

There was a time when I considered doing just that...

​It's only $300. Stop being cheap and buy it.

I'm not totally sure its worth buying for my personal DAW. To me, it seems like a DAW for those looking for the "FL Studio Workflow" in their home studio mostly. Not quite sure its worth the $300+ just to find out that I can do what I'm already making beats with Live 9, Reason 7 and other cool gear right now. Also my focus is on increasing DAW performance capabilities and building a noteworthy collaboration catalogue.

Where's the motivation for such a purchase when I already have other stuff that's just as, or even more powerful?

Besides, wouldn't we all sound the same if we solely used FL Studio as our DAW?

Fl doesn't make people sound the same.It's a beatmaking tool.
However a lot of people come across it and most of us make/made the usual trap beats on it for a long time.
Then out of nowhere interests grow, and appreciation of multiple genres develop.
New things are tried. Then all of a sudden you have this weird mesh retake of everything that came before you.

Kong is a permanent tool. S1'sa permanent tool.If you aren't motivated to get fl after demoing it for a couple years, might not be for you.
I'm gonna keep "demoing" fl studio 11-12 because it's used as a tablet thing, step sequence on mobile works pretty nice.

Last edited:
Back