Fustrated

dacelts

Man, i just watched kanye west do his thing back in the day. Im getting really down on myself for not being at that level, i only started screwing wit my beat machine a week ago but still. I wanna make music like that but im starting to think im not doing it the right way or i just dont have the equipment. Then i realized do i need great equipment to make great music, probably yes which means lots of money. I been applying places for a 2nd job so i can get the equipment. I got a Roland sp404sx a spare sd 4gb card and card reader to transport samples... tahts it so far. I'm saving for a apple macbook pro for just music and networking stuff/music information. Leaning towards getting turntable that can conect to the computer, and then a midi keyboard. its gonna be alot of money, i just wanna make music and do it my way also. Somebody tell me if im going about this wrong or SOMETHNG....

Then i realized do i need great equipment to make great music, probably yes which means lots of money.
Bullshit!
Use what you have - and make it work for you.
You don't need to buy everything.
All you need is some kinda hardware or software, you choose one of them or both (for example making beats on hardware and then track them on software for mastering).
If you have Roland sp404sx you can make good beats on it - you don't need to buy a lot of stuff - you can buy usb turntable and decent sound card that's principle all you need for sampling. For mastering your beats you can use Reaper which are free sofware.

Softwares are cheaper, though mac is expensive... but you can make top quality sound with just FL studio or something like that.

P.S. I'm getting frustrated very often too, but I just gotta keep practicing. You need a lot of skill. And when you're having a hiatus of creativity, like I'm currently, you just gotto either to take some rest or use the time by simply studying synth programming or something like that. Don't give up :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kanye is probably not the best producer to watch right away because he's pretty much a musical/sampling genius. Try looking for videos posted by "youtube producers." There's a thread here on FP where producers can post vids showing their beat-making process. Don't get down on yourself, Kanye's one of the best.

Kanye west to sampling is like michael jordan to basketball. As long as your alive you probably will never achieve results like him. That isnt to say your music wont smash it. Patience is a virtue. Keep workin and for sure the results will come.

i think kanye is the larry bird of sampling. larry bird was black right?

Kanye west to sampling is like michael jordan to basketball. As long as your alive you probably will never achieve results like him. That isnt to say your music wont smash it. Patience is a virtue. Keep workin and for sure the results will come.

hahaha, lmao..

please give me a break! pete and dilla are the mj and kobe of sampling. ppl really need to get off kanye's DICC! hes good but hes not even on the level of the dilla's, pete's, rza's, primo's of the world...GET OUTTA HERE!

I have not once, since I've started browsing FP, see any mention of RZA when it comes to sampling. The scores for Kill Bill vol. I and II were dope alone.

edit: okay well maybe a couple posts after a search, haha.

Last edited:
I have not once, since I've started browsing FP, see any mention of RZA when it comes to sampling. The scores for Kill Bill vol. I and II were dope alone.

edit: okay well maybe a couple posts after a search, haha.

yeah he is pretty slept on around this forum...and yeah kill bill are not only dope flicks but the scores are ill!

id say jay dee, pete, and rza are my 3 favs.

RZA is ridiculous when it comes to sampling, but in my opinion he is more of a composer who uses samples within his compositions, and so is Kanye to an extent (especially as of recent). I feel their work isn't solely based on the use of samples.

Guys like Dilla, PR and Primo are more sample-heavy within their creations, and base their compostions off of samples. They choose to take samples and create compositions out of them, whereas RZA or Kanye will take a sample and add it to their compositions.

Not that I am saying one is better than the other, both styles blow my mind. But that's just how I view it.

Did this dude say he's been funking with it for about a week? Seriously? I don't think this is even real, someone is just playing? Anyone who thinks they can be great at anything after only a week at is battling way bigger issues than learning how to produce music.

ONE

Did this dude say he's been funking with it for about a week? Seriously? I don't think this is even real, someone is just playing? Anyone who thinks they can be great at anything after only a week at is battling way bigger issues than learning how to produce music.

ONE

listen, i aint playiing just aint reachin my expectations, i may have set them very high. don't try and shatter my dreams bro

Ain't nothing wrong with trying to be comparable to the greats. Just realize that it will not take one week, most likely it will take around one decade.

listen, i aint playiing just aint reachin my expectations, i may have set them very high. don't try and shatter my dreams bro

Ok, let me tell you like this, I am not trying to shatter your dreams, but to give yourself such a short time period to attain such lofty expectations is just setting your own self up for failure, honestly!

Really, you may be able to do great things with producing or any other thing you try to do, but you are shattering your own dreams by giving yourself such unreal expectations and expecting to be at such a high level in such a short period of time is at the least a detriment to what you are trying to do and at most, could ultimately be the cause of you ultimate failure at your dream.

Don't do that to yourself. PERIOD. You ever seen a kid whose Father pushes them way too hard and they always ultimately fall way short of those goals? Its not because of a lack or talent, or trying, or anything else, it is simply the constant inability to reach those expectations, always breaks them in the end, no matter how good they are or how high they go. The expectations are simply unattainable and therefor do not belong in the equation at all.

I am honestly just trying to help. I would never stand in the way of someone's dream, but trust me I know something about unreal expectations, I had one of these Father's, so do yourself a favor and be reasonable about your expectations. Its OK to push yourself hard, just not so hard that you fall.

GOOD LUCK!

ONE

Back