Frequency Modulation SYNTHESIS (MASSIVE/FM8 etc.)

M

mkamsi

Hi All,
I wanna learn FM synthesis, I know little bit about MASSIVE (by Native Instruments) Synth.
Can you help me out choosing the right synth Massive or FM 8 or something else provided I don't want to limit my production only to dubstep (genre). I think Massive can make any sound, correct me if I am wrong.
Also, is it absolutely true that If I learned FM synthesis so well then I can make any sound that I listen in popular songs (Pop/Hip-Hop/Rnb,Dubstep etc.) ???
Also suggest me from where should I start learning FM synthesis ( any websites ?? )
Thanx in advance.

Hi again. :-)

First of all I'd just like to mention that Massive is not an FM synth, it's a subtractive wavetable synth that has the option of frequency modulation for one of its oscillators (allthough very limited)

Massive sure is a powerhouse of a synth but I personally wouldn't stretch as far as saying it can make any sound, as with every synth it has its capabilities, limitations and own characteristic sound,both to its wavetable and it's modules.

FM8 on then other hand is a True FM synth,which utilises carriers oscillators and modulators to modulate the frequency of the carrier. You can essentially do this in any synth, just take a sine wave and apply an lfo to the pitch and crank it up, you'll notice the sound should start to sound quite out of tune and if done to a greater extent it will go so fast that you produce an entirely new timbre (if the synth in question is capable of those kind of lfo speeds).

So basically what FM synthesis does, is it modulates the pitch of the carrier oscillator (or the modulators themselves, there's really no distinct difference here) with other oscillators at different pitches and produces new sounds based on that. I personally think the concept is quite abstract, easy enough to understand like this but a lot harder to apply in reality. Also I wouldn't expect to pair the 2 synthesizer and then be able to make any sound I want, because they still have their own characteristics. I own both, but I couldn't live without many of the other instruments in my arsenal.

One way i like to practice FM synthesis is to simply add an oscilloscope after the instrument, to get visual representation of what I'm tweaking and what's happening to the sound as I introduce modulation upon modulation of different waveforms.

When it comes to Fm synthesis, I've found no better alternative than just trial and error, as it's really hard for me to imagine what the outcome will be, Fm synthesis can be very unpredictable.

Last edited:
Yup, FM is *hard* - the concept isn't, really, as Wallengard just explained the basics there - but it's a lot less straightforward than any of the subtractive stuff. You can, of course, rather easily get a lot of cool sounds out of it...but as said, getting predictable results or making a sound in your head into reality is a lot trickier. Of course, modern plugin FM synths are a lot more visual and have things like *gasp* filters to aid you, so it's somewhat easier to "cheat" your way into a respectable result ("cheat" in the sense of having to had program actual hardware FM synths...the horror, the horror). Nothing wrong with that of course.

I'd say if you truly *master* subtractive, wavetables, FM...and whatnot, yup, you'll probably be able to synthesize your way to pretty much any sound you like. Probably not just with Massive & FM8, but I really doubt you'd stick to just those two during the time it actually takes to master multiple forms of synthesis, of which books have been written... :)

Massive is enough but not as flexible as thor or zebra when it comes to certain tasks. I actually think it's harder to use massive than zebra and thor tbh but hey. Learn the names and sounds of every single effect/wave you like then research it and when you hear a sound you'll be like "hm it sounds like a bunch of sine waves detuned with automated phasers and maybe a stray sawtooth with an lfo not synced to tempo"

etc etc etc however fm synthesis to this day is still very strange to look at, all I know is that if the number in thor's is set from 1/1 to more it just changes the sound's texture lol.

Thankyou ALL, So you mean the concept that One should master One synth is not good ?
If its still true which synth will you suggest.

No, If you know synthesis terms and stuff in general then using multiple different synths would be less of a hassle. Mastering one synth is literally learning it inside and out. Learning a synthesizer that can do MORE than one thing will give you more tools, and massive is a vst that can do that for you. Mastering one synth is not a bad thing, not sure why you're thinkin that but it's a good idea to know synthesis because it helps, in general.

Keyword, scales chords and sound design basics helps in GENERAL, Tellin ya :)
It literally does not matter what you use, although I will say I'm not sure if mojito for instance can be modular like any other synth out there, that one I have doubts about.

Back