Free up computer space using a external hard drive

The Burglar

My computer is starting to run a little slow and freeze up at times. I'm going to move all of my music and sample related files to include my ITunes folder and my DAW project file folder to my external. Hopefully this helps. Any other recommendations for optimal computer performance?. Maybe turning off all background applications I'm sure would help as well. I really don't have the money for a new computer and the one I have cost me about 2,200$ at the time. It's only 3 years old. Mac book pro quad core

Last edited:
If your hard drive is full, things will slow to a crawl. Move stuff to an external drive, like you mentioned. Then defrag both drives.

If your RAM is full, things will slow down to a crawl. Upgrade it if you can, and make sure you don't have unnecessary programs running in the background.

If you don't have an SSD and can upgrade, do it. It makes your computer feel like a completely new machine. And SSDs are cheaper than ever. Once you get an SSD, you can't go back. I include them even on $500 budget desktops now.

Uninstall any junkware programs, programs you've never used, programs that like to sit in the background running, etc. Slim it down to the core operating system and the programs you use, nothing more. It will run faster. Another way to do this is to backup your files, then wipe the hard drive clean and install the OS fresh. Clean start. Install the programs you need one by one. You should notice a speed boost.

Back