FLStudio pattern loop recording

misonic

hy there
can u help me with this..

im trying to record a keyboard part over a looping beat (Im in Pattern mode - Pattern 1) but this is not posible or im doing something wrong...when i press Record the pattern plays from star to end and then stops and i want it to loop until i finish my keyboard part (this could last for some time;couple of minutes)

can i set this up somehow?

thanx in advance

Up where the metronome on/off check box is near the start, stop and pause buttons there is another box you can check that is something along the lines of "loop recording/overdub recording" or something like that. I can't remember exactly what it says but click that box so it lights up and you should be good to go.

I couldn't find a very good pic to show you but this will have to do (disregard all the red marks and writing and look to where your metronome toggle box is)...

panels.JPG

Just to the left of the dop down menu for your "snap" parameter, there's the box with with an "R" and a little arrow looping around it. That's the box you want to check "on".

Peace!

Last edited:
hy mate
thanx for helping
i understand what ur saying but when i press Record the pattern starts lopping and also the part im playing start looping thus screwing what i played in the first loop so thats not what i want to do...
i want the beat to loop and have my keyboard part, which can be up to 10 min of playing, in the same pattern
is this posible

beat length=1 pattern
keyboard length=100 patterns
heres the pic..

View attachment 27530

Last edited:
I'm not seeing what you're trying to show me from the pic, other tan that your snare part extends beyond the pattern length...I thought you said your piano, not a snare...:)

I think I understand what you're trying to do though. You're going to have to do it in 'song' mode, not 'pattern mode'.

So put the pattern you want looped in the playlist. Make it however long you want, 10 mins if that's what you want.

Then up at the top of the playlist, along the black strip that shows you how many bars into the song you are, use the select tool ('e' is the keyboard shortcut) and highlight everything from the start of the song to the end of where your patterns are. Highlighting it will make it loop back to the start when it gets to the end (10 mins or whatever).

Select a different pattern than the one you're looping, and record your piano on that one, not the looping pattern.

Now, if you're doing it this way, there's really no need to highlight and loop the entire song, because it's recording it all the way through, and your other pattern is already looping in the playlist.

See what I'm saying? I can't take any screens cuz I'm at work. If you don't get it I'll try and make some screens that show you...

Also, to answer your question about "i want the beat to loop and have my keyboard part, which can be up to 10 min of playing, in the same pattern, is this posible?"

Yes, it is, but you will have to loop the 'beat' part of the pattern WAY out to where the 10 min mark is. It's not very efficient. You're better off making use of the playlist and the infinite amount of patterns you have available. Spread out your parts into different patterns and you will have more versatility than putting everything into 1 pattern. Trust me, I used to do it all in 1 pattern until I realized the limitations. Now I split everything up into separate patterns: kick drum in 1, snare in 2, hats in 3, synth in 4, pad in 5, etc.

Peace!

Last edited:
thanx mate for the help

i understand what your saying..i just wanted a quick way of capturing improvisation on the keyboard....also flstudio has this score logger that captures everything u played in the last 3 minutes and u can drop that into pianoroll...
but 3 minutes is not enough for me...so here is what i figured out

1.enable pattern mode
2.make a beat in patern 1
3.drag a very long note(aprox 10 min) in the pianoroll for keyboard part in pattern 1
4.enable loop recording
5.uncheck blend notes
6.start recording

this way u can loop a beat in pattern 1 and record your keyboard improvisation into the pianoroll of the same pattern (ofcourse u can later slice that performance into smaller bits and arrange them in the playlist) and because u have a very long note there in the pianoroll flstudio will not replace notes on every pattern loop

its a very fast and easy way for creating song also

thanx mate for the help

i understand what your saying..i just wanted a quick way of capturing improvisation on the keyboard....also flstudio has this score logger that captures everything u played in the last 3 minutes and u can drop that into pianoroll...
but 3 minutes is not enough for me...so here is what i figured out

1.enable pattern mode
2.make a beat in patern 1
3.drag a very long note(aprox 10 min) in the pianoroll for keyboard part in pattern 1
4.enable loop recording
5.uncheck blend notes
6.start recording

this way u can loop a beat in pattern 1 and record your keyboard improvisation into the pianoroll of the same pattern (ofcourse u can later slice that performance into smaller bits and arrange them in the playlist) and because u have a very long note there in the pianoroll flstudio will not replace notes on every pattern loop

its a very fast and easy way for creating song also

One of the great things about FL is the way you can go multiple ways to achieve the same end result. I would like to encourage you to make use of more patterns when working though. Do what ever works best for you, but check this out...

If you break up the channels in your step sequencer, you can have just your beat loop while you record as long as you like on another pattern...

Sorry for the huge screenshot, widescreen monitor. :)

pianorecord.jpg

Ok, so I have my simple kick/snare/hat beat broken up into separate patterns...

This is my kick pattern, the green one in the playlist...
kick.jpg

This is my snare, the red/pinkish one...
snare.jpg

Etc, etc...

You can leave your whole beat in one pattern if you want. But see how the pattern length is 16 beats, and I just have it looped 400 bars in the playlist so that it's about 10 mins in length. I like my pattern length at 16 but if you want 4 or 8 or whatever, it still works.

Then I selected the Piano pattern (purplish one) I made and record to that in song mode. It will keep recoding as long as you want, and your beat is looped in the background. Booyeah!

think its been covered but just make pattern one play for however many parts in the playlist, 16 bars, 24 bars, or even 1000 bars whatever you like. make pattern 2 the one with your keyboard sound, go to song mode, record.

WOW! jay you should be taching at an institute dude!

I just wanna say to you dude is fruity loops is very easy once you get the basics down like jay said but, if all else fails just do what alot of new producers do and look up" how to use fruity loops" on youtube. They are alot of helpful videos producers post up to help you.

thanx jay for your angle...i was more or less familiar with that concept and just wanted to know if i can do it simpler (without the playlist)...
ill sure be using both ideas and check the youtube videos vsmoove504
sugested even though most of the time i know what im doing :)

cheers mates!

i know this is an old post but i stumbled on it and im sure somebody else will too. so what i want to say is LIVE MODE!. this is the main reason for the existence of live mode. it doesnt always have to be as hard as other people try to make it with diagrams, formulas, widgets, links, and tutorials.
1) in the playlist click the top left triangle
2) select live mode
3) profit

this way whichever pattern you click on at the boyyom will play forever

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

lol "bottom"

Back