Flat Notes (MIDI Question)

Project Live

Hello all, ive been recently trying to expand my production abilities by improving my piano skills. Ive had some success but ive run into some problems that I have questions about. I notice this issue when I go to learn existing songs. Ill watch a tutorial vid off youtube, and in the video they give you the notes and chords and such. When I plug those chords and notes into fl studio they sound either off or way weaker. I think the underlining issue in all of this is when it comes down to flat notes. I was always under the impression that flat notes are the white keys and black are sharp? Am I mistaken by saying this? In some of the videos I watch the teacher will say a flat note and press a black key. All the black keys on my midi are sharp. Is there any configuration setting I need to do in order to play flat notes in fl studio or can someone provide me with a resource where I can learn the information I need to obtain?

Thanks

I was always under the impression that flat notes are the white keys and black are sharp? Am I mistaken by saying this? In some of the videos I watch the teacher will say a flat note and press a black key. All the black keys on my midi are sharp. Is there any configuration setting I need to do in order to play flat notes in fl studio or can someone provide me with a resource where I can learn the information I need to obtain?

Thanks
Yes, you are mistaken.
Those "black keys" on your keyboard can either be sharp or flat (or natural to whatever key you're playing in). Certain notes (accidentals) are considered enharmonic, meaning that in a particular context, they could either be sharp or flat.
I take it you're not learning any of this stuff with a teacher, soooooo:
piano-notes-and-keys.jpg

For example, if we were playing something in the key of C major(all the white keys), and needed to play an Eb, you would play the black key between the two white keys marked "D" and "E". This very same note can ALSO be called D#. This is what I meant by "enharmonic". Generally, it depends of how the melody is moving (descending or ascending). The white keys can also be accidentals as well. For example, Dbb (D double flat) is the C note.
If this all seems confusing to you, that means you need to start learning scales and the basic keyboard layout.

Last edited:
Back