FL Studio Misconceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yumid

Ok people...I've just been ignoring it but I have to say something now haha. It seems like this entire forum has built a golden shrine around FL Studio. I need to clear something up here. FL STUDIO IS NOT THE #1 DAW IN THE WORLD - IT IS NOT USED MY 'MOST' FAMOUS PRODUCERS. I don't know where this lie started haha.

I do understand that if you do a google search it shows FL Studio as the number 1 daw on most rating systems. This is because they are going by sales, FL Studio caters to absolute beginners. ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS are their demographic. The reason sales are so high right now and it is places as the number 1 Daw on most websites is because there are SO MANY beginners starting out right now that are purchasing FL studio because of this widespread lie it is the best DAW, and because that it is number 1 on all these websites. THAT is why it is number 1, not because 'everyone uses it' etc..

Don't get me wrong, FL Studio is a good DAW, and ALL DAWS DO THE SAME THING GENERALLY (some excel at early production, some excel at mixing mastering, some are good for rewiring into other daws, some are good especially for beginners, etc..) so don't consider this post as a message not to use FL, it isn't that. ALL I am trying to do is clear up this weird, weird worship session this whole forum seems to have over FL Studio. It's the people buying this daw because they THINK its a fact that its the best in the world because of what they read, thats who I am trying to reach. FL has been around for a very long time and you can easily make productions on it from start to finish, thats been proven. But BY NO MEANS is it the best daw, it doesn't even come close. It may be the Best DAW for someone who is looking at a DAW for the first time ever, But id rather get over a learning curve and learn something more 'industry' standard than be able to just throw a beat together in my first week that sucks anyway. Because ill tell you one thing, If you plan on collaborating in the industry in a STUDIO SETTING, FL studio isn't going to be something you see pop up a lot. If ever.

Ok the flood gates have been opened.

Just. Wait. I've been on this forum for little bit more than a year now, and all I see is the exact opposite of what you're saying here.

People tend to have a relationship of love/hate with FL, but I don't think there was a "shrine" built around it here.

Anyways, you forgot to put "IMO" at the end of your post.

its actually going to be the #1daw if u can see how many users are actually using it' in a few years FlStudio if it isnt already its up to par or a little better then protools imo an i have protools its just the learning curve is faster an easier in fl but too each is ownn.

Last edited:
yumid this forum is NOT a shrine to fl studio it gets a lot of mixed reviews around here, and what IS the best DAW (you never said?)

its actually going to be the #1daw if u can see how many users are actually using it' in a few years FlStudio if it isnt already its up to par or a little better then protools imo an i have protools its just the learning curve is faster an easier in fl but too each is ownn.

No its not.. Period.. It might be the number one daw USED by people. Because noobs FAR exceed the amount of people who do it professional. And its hysterical that you are comparing Fl studio to Pro Tools. Pro Tools is a MASSIVE program and the learning curve is huge. The automations/editing/etc.. you can do in Pro Tools, especially later in productions is un matchable. If you really think FL is on par with Pro Tools you have A LOT to learn about Pro Tools. A lot buddy.

Just. Wait. I've been on this forum for little bit more than a year now, and all I see is the exact opposite of what you're saying here.

People tend to have a relationship of love/hate with FL, but I don't think there was a "shrine" built around it here.

Anyways, you forgot to put "IMO" at the end of your post.

Im pretty sure I made it clear enough that it was my opinion using the english language rather than putting up 3 letters at the end..lol. But I don't really check out other sections of this forum I'm rarely on this specific website. Im sure the more advanced section is well..more advanced haha.

yumid this forum is NOT a shrine to fl studio it gets a lot of mixed reviews around here, and what IS the best DAW (you never said?)

Because if I did say what the best DAW was I would be wrong. Anyone would be. The only thing you can say for sure is there is NO BETTER DAW for mixing/mastering and finishing your products than Pro Tools. Where you start out doesn't matter, Fl studio is fine for that, able tons probably better for early production but its all personal preference.

I think THE BEST way to go is to start out with ableton and finish with Pro Tools, OR even better Start with with ableton or reason and finish with Reason re-wired into Pro Tools/Logic.

Rewiring Reason into a more established mixing daw is the ticket though.

Last edited:
After reading this discussion, I just realised that this thread is just another "What is the BEST DAW???!?" that we already have here on FP.

After reading this discussion, I just realised that this thread is just another "What is the BEST DAW???!?" that we already have here on FP.

Yep..should have known thats what it would turn into. Wasn't intended haha

I actually made this because of all the "what is the best daw" threads that just have the most ridiculous arguments ever in them. DEADMAU5 USED FL STUDIO 1NCE SO EVERY1 UZES IT EYE GESS LUL"

Last edited:

I actually made this because of all the "what is the best daw" threads that just have the most ridiculous arguments ever in them. DEADMAU5 USED FL STUDIO 1NCE SO EVERY1 UZES IT EYE GESS LUL"

I won't discuss this anymore, but you need to read a little more of those kind of threads. There are more people bashing FL than boasting it.

all daws have different but similar workflows.fl studio is not worse.it is not better.same for reason, although it sucks to do the vst workaround.reaper is also nice.Let's have cookies and be quiet about opinions about which is better.
you can do the exact same things in all the daws.

DEADMAU5 USED FL STUDIO 1NCE SO EVERY1 UZES IT EYE GESS LUL"

You mean... LULZ* ;)

I'm a little surprised too. I agree with Ddream, but it goes way beyond this forum. All over the internet, and everywhere else, I keep seeing people say that FL is for "noobs" and that you are not a serious producer if you don't use another DAW. I won't give my opinion on that to avoid starting a debate that belongs in another thread, but I generally get the sense that FL is seen as the "kid" of DAWs.

Maybe it's the stigma that still remains from the old Fruity Loops name, but either way, I really don't often see what you described lol.

Ok guys obviously I can't speak for every single thread thats been on these forums. And I'm not talking to the people who are saying they like FL studio. Thats fine, I agree ANY DAW CAN GET THE JOB DONE.

Im STRICTLY talking to the people (and there are lots) who are spreading information that it is the #1 Daw in the world because of sales, I was strictly explaining WHY it is number one on most sites because people don't get it..they just see #1 and assume that means the best. It needed to be cleared up that it isn't, there isn't one. I was just sick of seeing "FL Studio is the best daw and everyone uses it" being spread as fact when its so far away.

And it is true tho, beginners who ACTUALLY want to end up in a studio scenario are wasting their time with FL Studio. It will never be an 'industry' daw. Its fine for personal use for sure, but people thinking they can build a career in a studio type setting and are putting all their time into FL studio because they believe people who say it will be the standard one day, are simply wasting their time. This threads for them. This was NEVER a which Daw is the best thread, I've made that clear by saying NO daw is the best.

Ok people...I've just been ignoring it but I have to say something now haha. It seems like this entire forum has built a golden shrine around FL Studio. I need to clear something up here. FL STUDIO IS NOT THE #1 DAW IN THE WORLD - IT IS NOT USED MY 'MOST' FAMOUS PRODUCERS. I don't know where this lie started haha.

I don't think anyone has ever stated that FL Studio is the #1 DAW or it's the most used. Everyone who's not a beginner knows in the professional setting Pro Tools is standard. As far as the most famous producers using it, not sure anyone has said that either, but Hit-Boy, Chase N Cashe, Boi-1da, T-Minus, Porter Robinson, Martin Garrix, and A LOT more are using FL.

I do understand that if you do a google search it shows FL Studio as the number 1 daw on most rating systems. This is because they are going by sales, FL Studio caters to absolute beginners. ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS are their demographic. The reason sales are so high right now and it is places as the number 1 Daw on most websites is because there are SO MANY beginners starting out right now that are purchasing FL studio because of this widespread lie it is the best DAW, and because that it is number 1 on all these websites. THAT is why it is number 1, not because 'everyone uses it' etc..
Probably why an absolute beginner would call it the best DAW, cause it's what's best for them.

Don't get me wrong, FL Studio is a good DAW, and ALL DAWS DO THE SAME THING GENERALLY (some excel at early production, some excel at mixing mastering, some are good for rewiring into other daws, some are good especially for beginners, etc..) so don't consider this post as a message not to use FL, it isn't that. ALL I am trying to do is clear up this weird, weird worship session this whole forum seems to have over FL Studio. It's the people buying this daw because they THINK its a fact that its the best in the world because of what they read, thats who I am trying to reach. FL has been around for a very long time and you can easily make productions on it from start to finish, thats been proven. But BY NO MEANS is it the best daw, it doesn't even come close. It may be the Best DAW for someone who is looking at a DAW for the first time ever,

But id rather get over a learning curve and learn something more 'industry' standard than be able to just throw a beat together in my first week that sucks anyway. Because ill tell you one thing, If you plan on collaborating in the industry in a STUDIO SETTING, FL studio isn't going to be something you see pop up a lot. If ever.
I don't think anyone worships FL ( I might've if I wasn't a Christian), but there a lot of beginners on the website looking to learn the basics, and there not trying to spend more money on another DAW, especially if it's just a hobby. Wouldn't you recommend FL to someone who want's to get started?

But id rather get over a learning curve and learn something more 'industry' standard than be able to just throw a beat together in my first week that sucks anyway. Because ill tell you one thing, If you plan on collaborating in the industry in a STUDIO SETTING, FL studio isn't going to be something you see pop up a lot. If ever.
A lot of people who pick up beat making or producing will never make into the "industry" and just want throw together a beat. But I'm in a studio setting on a consistent basis, I see FL pop a lot (probably cause I'm using my computer),

I feel you though, people who are serious about production should definitely learn to expand their repertoire past 1 DAW, but then again I don't think most people here are taking it that seriously.

I don't think anyone has ever stated that FL Studio is the #1 DAW or it's the most used. Everyone who's not a beginner knows in the professional setting Pro Tools is standard. As far as the most famous producers using it, not sure anyone has said that either, but Hit-Boy, Chase N Cashe, Boi-1da, T-Minus, Porter Robinson, Martin Garrix, and A LOT more are using FL.

Probably why an absolute beginner would call it the best DAW, cause it's what's best for them.

I don't think anyone worships FL ( I might've if I wasn't a Christian), but there a lot of beginners on the website looking to learn the basics, and there not trying to spend more money on another DAW, especially if it's just a hobby. Wouldn't you recommend FL to someone who want's to get started?

A lot of people who pick up beat making or producing will never make into the "industry" and just want throw together a beat. But I'm in a studio setting on a consistent basis, I see FL pop a lot (probably cause I'm using my computer),

I feel you though, people who are serious about production should definitely learn to expand their repertoire past 1 DAW, but then again I don't think most people here are taking it that seriously.

I wouldn't be making this thread if I hadn't seen it said to the point that I finally decided to make the thread haha.

And of course there are a handful of famous producers who use it. I already said that its capable of making a full production. So obviously some of these guys are gonna make it big.

And I would argue that just because ITS EASIER for a beginner to use doesn't make it THE BEST for them. To me, defining the best daw for you would be something that you can get comfortable with and then eventually do sooo much with it. Once you are past the learning curve its not gonna matter how easy it was to learn. Its only going to matter what you can do with it now. I wouldn't suggest the easiest route for ANYONE. I would suggest learning what you want to learn regardless of how hard it is. And you CANT deny that beginners go with FL because it's just that, easy for beginners.

By all means if you are doing it as a hobby FL studio is the PERFECT daw for you. You can't deny that. If you want it to be more than a hobby I would never suggest putting any time into FL studio because although it is a complete daw, I believe there are other daws worth putting time into. But again, this conversation isn't about WHICH daw to put time into. It was about taking FL down off the pedestal (that SOME people have it on)

I wouldn't be making this thread if I hadn't seen it said to the point that I finally decided to make the thread haha.

And of course there are a handful of famous producers who use it. I already said that its capable of making a full production. So obviously some of these guys are gonna make it big.

And I would argue that just because ITS EASIER for a beginner to use doesn't make it THE BEST for them. To me, defining the best daw for you would be something that you can get comfortable with and then eventually do sooo much with it. Once you are past the learning curve its not gonna matter how easy it was to learn. Its only going to matter what you can do with it now. I wouldn't suggest the easiest route for ANYONE. I would suggest learning what you want to learn regardless of how hard it is. And you CANT deny that beginners go with FL because it's just that, easy for beginners.

By all means if you are doing it as a hobby FL studio is the PERFECT daw for you. You can't deny that. If you want it to be more than a hobby I would never suggest putting any time into FL studio because although it is a complete daw, I believe there are other daws worth putting time into. But again, this conversation isn't about WHICH daw to put time into. It was about taking FL down off the pedestal (that SOME people have it on)

I feel you. I predominantly use FL so I just had to put my two cents in.

The Best Daw is whatever daw you are most comfortable with and gives the easiest workflow to get the job done plain and simple. This is getting so old, having pro-tools, or Reason or Ableton or whatever else is not going to turn you into a super producer, it does not matter what you use, it is how you use it. It is not the machine, it's the person behind the machine, You said pro tools is the industry standard which it pretty much is now, but guess what? in the 90's, most producers didnt even wanna phuck with pro tools or software period because they were used to using hardware and analog sound and didnt want to learn something new. So like i said it is whatever your most comfortable with. People need to stop jumping on bandwagons and going by what's most popular rather than what works for them

Last edited:

How do you record an acoustic drumset using an Apollo interface with FL Studio, can it be done?

Last edited:
I'm an Ableton 9 and Propellerhead 7

Although I'm no Fl Studio user, I am somewhat responsible for the sales of their program and can vouch for its demand. More beginners come into my store looking FL Studio and Reason than any other program. The biggest problem I see is the limitations associated with using only 1 program as the brains and body of their DAW. To me, a Digital Audio Workstation is the entirety of any sound process or recording work area. Instruments and the way they're played are also needed to make great sounding beats. Outboard processors are used for more than their function or sound. Instruments and Hardware Sound Processors take a ton of burden off of computer processors when Recording or beat making software is running; therefore, choosing the right combination of hardware, software and skill determines the level producers are on.

The reason som producers fail to separate their sound from the sound of others is obvious. They're making the same sounding music with the same software at the same time. Personally speaking, I like the fact that so many people think that one program can make them rich and/or famous. It leaves room for me to get the gear and opportunities they miss, capitalizing on what they refuse to see. Other, more skilled, producers know that software in combination with hardware and engineering knowledge. That along with business skills and experience are requirements of success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back