Fl Studio: Channel volume or Mixer volume? Which should i adjust?

uheclipse

Hey guys, im trying out FL Studio and i dont know which volume i should be adjusting. There is a volume knob in the pattern and theres also volume adjustment in the mixer. From what I can see it seems that the channel volume and mixer volume are not the same, and both can be adjusted differently.

What do most of you FL users use for volume adjustment?

Most [used it longer than everything before switchin remember all the details still]

the channel volume and main volume seem to be used by everyone.
mixer channel is extra volume or below low

Hey guys, im trying out FL Studio and i dont know which volume i should be adjusting. There is a volume knob in the pattern and theres also volume adjustment in the mixer. From what I can see it seems that the channel volume and mixer volume are not the same, and both can be adjusted differently.

What do most of you FL users use for volume adjustment?

The key is to realize:

- The channel volume knob affects the individual instrument's volume BEFORE it goes into the effects on the channel.
- The mixer volume knob affects the mix channel's volume AFTER it is processed by the effects on the channel.

In addition, it's easier (for me, at least) to make subtle changes with my mouse using the mixer fader rather than the gain knob.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I actually answered a similar thread yesterday, so I'll just copy paste it here:

The difference is that the knob in the step sequencer sets the input volume for any plugins on the channel, while the volume fader in the mixerchannel sets the output volume.

I'd recommend you to only use the knobs in the step sequencer to make sure you have a good input volumes to your plugins (especially if you have any analog-style plugins), and not using it to mix the sounds volumewise.
The reason why is that you probably have a bunch of plugins inserted on the mixerchannel, and if you change the sequencer knob, you may drastically change the sound, and not to mention that it probably won't deliver as precise volume changes as you would with the mixerfader.​

You need to understand the signal chain of FL.
plugin's internal level -> channel level -> mixer level -> bus level -> master fader level -> master control on transport bar

if at any point the signal is clipping, you should turn down the stage BEFORE it. repeat until you get a clean signal from start to end.

I usually put all my channel volumes to 100 to make sure my sounds have full energy, then i mix and level with the mixer volume.

I usually dont touch those options in the channels. I'll do everything in the mixer, Just more of my workflow/preference thing.

Back