External hard drive or cloud storage or both?

Hey guys :)

Just joined this forum so this is my first post :)
Pretty soon I'm gonna be moving into a new flat and I want to get into music production as well as mixing. I've figured out a lot of the hardware I wanna get already but when it comes to storage, I'm not really sure. I'm thinking of getting a regular external hard drive to take with me but also keeping a backup on a network drive in the flat plugged in via ethernet so I can access all my music from any device at home. Also, might use some kind of cloud service to have an extra backup.

Any suggestions on particular models? I want somethhing affordable but I don't want to cop out on quality

western digital all day and twice on sundays - toshiba as the next - Seagate and maxtor (a seagate brand name) have died terrible short lives in my experience and also reported widely by google in terms of their server farms

I would caution you against solely relying on cloud storage as if the company goes bust (or if they get shut down for piracy related offences as in the kim-dot-com debacle in NZ) you will lose your data

nas storage via ethernet/tcp-ip networking is good and if you can set up a virtual private network connection you can also access your files from anywhere in the world

at dealnews.com or slickdeals.com there is an INTEL 530 Series 480 GB for $240. And a Intel 530 Series 240 GB for $120 about.

Get what suites your needs. External if you plan on switching computers and plus it might be more easy to retain your work on a clean install.

infinity i would suggest only using the cloud for files under 50mb unless you have that google fiber it's useless to use cloud man.

And then harddrives last for what?a decade?you could save up for a couple 1-4tb harddrives, download everything you need to and call it a day.

nas storage via ethernet/tcp-ip networking is good and if you can set up a virtual private network connection you can also access your files from anywhere in the world
This is a good solution. I use a NAS box with RAID 1 for all my important stuff. As stated above, wouldn't put all my trust in cloud storage services.

Last edited:
agreed

- I have 3 NAS boxes right now and soon to commission a 4th

- currently have 4Tb of NAS storage

- no RAID in the formal automatic sense, but I do ensure data redundancy across the various drives

- at Christmas each year I do major backups to dvd (and this year to bluray) of all new work to ensure that I have additional means of recovering work if needed

Intel is actually the best in the industry and are the most reliable. Not all SSD's are fast. Some are only 200 mb/s while INtels are fast and reliable at the same time, the 530 series ranges in the 500 range of 500 mb/s. Youre getting a better performance for the money. Why buy an SSD unless it's fast? Might as well get the best, fastest, most reliable ones if they are just tens of dollars more. Actually 12 dollars more in this case.

Last edited:
except that a SSD does not provide the capacity that regular hard drives do

go back and reread the original statement of intent and subsequent questions, which do not suggest that ssd is a factor to be considered here given the need for portable and network storage access

Hey guys :)

Just joined this forum so this is my first post :)
Pretty soon I'm gonna be moving into a new flat and I want to get into music production as well as mixing. I've figured out a lot of the hardware I wanna get already but when it comes to storage, I'm not really sure. I'm thinking of getting a regular external hard drive to take with me but also keeping a backup on a network drive in the flat plugged in via ethernet so I can access all my music from any device at home. Also, might use some kind of cloud service to have an extra backup.

Any suggestions on particular models? I want somethhing affordable but I don't want to cop out on quality

An Intel 530 Series is fast and quality. Does this answer your question?

Is 240-480 GB large enough?

From what I understand the 530 Series is much more reliable than the 520 Series. The only problem I have had with my 520 Series is that I used incinerator on it and it damaged it. A big no no. Don't incinerate on an SSD. I don't know if it is possible ona 530 series but I think they do run smoother and more fluidly from what I was told.

One other suggestion I have is to buy what I have now. A Seagte 1TB Hybrid SSD. It has an 8GB SSD onboard and a 7200 RPM 1TB HD. It runs smooth but not much more of a noticeable difference than my hardrive. A 33% increase is hardly noticed but perhaps it might be the increase your looking for. I can't wait to get another SSD. It screams so fast and it will be nice for fast load up of drums and DAW stuff.

I hope I have helped offer a valuable answer to the question as the SSD are actually fast and reliable and are now large enough and cheap enough to accommodate lots of information.

Dont install omnisphere or komplete those will take up too much of that space.Actually, if speed is a concern, you could alway use the ssd as an install location and use the gigantic drives for the actual storage/backup purposes.
a 120gb ssd could be used just for programfiles while the harddrive could be used solely for storing backups and large external files.
You could even install the programs to an external drive, but if you already installed it to the primary it wont work because of the registry item still being there.
From what I attempted, seems like even the non-portable programs can run off externals if the spot's cleared beforehand.

there was never a question asked about ssd, kkk, anthony has a bee in his bonnet about them that is all

an ssd has a shorter lifespan than a hdd of similar size: a hdd of adequate size to handle large projects is at least twice as large the ssd's suggested at a minimum

the question is what can I use for portable storage (take and use on different machines so that my projects are accessible) and what should I use for home storage: NAS and what size etc

an ssd does not go into the TB range and is overly expensive for the sizes

If you dont have everything backed up in 3 DIFFERENT places, you dont have sh*t.

At least thats what Dr. Dre likes to say haha. Makes sense to me.

there was never a question asked about ssd, kkk, anthony has a bee in his bonnet about them that is all

an ssd has a shorter lifespan than a hdd of similar size: a hdd of adequate size to handle large projects is at least twice as large the ssd's suggested at a minimum

the question is what can I use for portable storage (take and use on different machines so that my projects are accessible) and what should I use for home storage: NAS and what size etc

an ssd does not go into the TB range and is overly expensive for the sizes

NAW naw N.a>W. I don't think so.

SSD FHL or Hell. WhuT

Back