Eric B:The Business of Hip Hop

​What does he know about the business of hip hop? He ain't been hot since the 80's.

Which is one reason why people should pay attention to what he is saying.

And what he is saying does hold merit. Read your paperwork, have a lawyer or two go over it, work on solo albums and not mixtapes, know the difference between producers and beatmakers.

Which is one reason why people should pay attention to what he is saying.

And what he is saying does hold merit. Read your paperwork, have a lawyer or two go over it, work on solo albums and not mixtapes, know the difference between producers and beatmakers.

​Yes, but why listen to him? Why not just talk to an entertainment attorney?

I don't like when these old school rappers or DJs try to "school" people. Anything that they say is something I have read in a book written by a music executive, a manager, or a lawyer.

These guys need to stop acting as if they have answers. The industry has changed light years beyond anything they can imagine. They are no more knowledgeable than some Chingy, Jim Jones, Huey, Nelly, Jibbs, Lil Scrappy or any other artist that was hot and fell off a few years ago.

Last edited:
Yes, but why listen to him? Why not just talk to an entertainment attorney?

Because a lot of people won't do/act unless someone they hold in high regard, or who has been held in high regard, tells them to do something. And even then the possibility of doing it is questionable. Then you have the fact that a lot of people in music simply are not concerned with business. And his advice was for people to talk to attorneys.

I don't like when these old school rappers or DJs try to "school" people. Anything that they say is something I have read in a book written by a music executive, a manager, or a lawyer.

Well his take was pretty much in line with what the music exec, manager and lawyer who is honest and open to business would say, which is, learn the business.

These guys need to stop acting as if they have answers. The industry has changed light years beyond anything they can imagine. They are no more knowledgeable than some Ching, Huey, Nelly, Jibbs, or any other artist that was hot and fell off a few years ago.

LOL, on the real bro, that's not how he was coming off.

Last edited:
Attorney's don't hold all of the keys, only some. There are more responsibilities associated with releasing music than an lawyer has time for. Tons of musicians use the money earn from previous successes to invest in new releases for artists like: Kendrick Lamar, Future and other new entertainers. After all, nobody know the cost of running a music production better than an active producer with a successful track record. Do what you want, I pay attention to our music predecessors and try to absorb their wisdom because thats what works for me.

You are going nowhere with that mindset.

Prove It

where's your business? how much revenue has it generated this year? what did you do that's different from what others have done, or are doing? Show us the success you've generated, then maybe i'll consider changing mindsets.

Unless you can prove your place in the music business, I'm done entertaining you're replies.

Easy fellas.
The point of the vid was just to share knowledge.Dude has been in the business for a long time and
a lot of us hold him and others in high regard.To dismiss someone like E,is kind of naive.
In school would you dismiss your English teacher because she didn't invent the English language,or
your science teacher because he didn't win a Nobel Peace Prize or your math teacher because she
didn't invent the abacus.(You get what i mean)

Knowledge is knowledge,take it or leave it.

Peace

I didn't hear him say anything irrational or anything that doesn't apply to the biz but to each his/her own.
Peace

To be honest, I didn't even watch the video until a minute ago. I just felt like hating because I haven't accomplished what I want to yet.

I may get there, but I got a lot of hate and jealousy until I get my break. That's how the game is played out here.

I been sipping that....
haterade.png

Back