Dont know what to do

Kfs743

Hey guys, i am 18 years old and i started learning about music producing 2 months (or 1 month) ago.
Next week i am joining the army that mean that i will have my computer with the fl studio just once in 2 weeks and my phone for 30 or 20 min every day for 8 months.
My question is , should i keep watching videos and tutorials in youtube everyday for 20 min or it wont benefit me. Also, my dream is to be successful dj like martin garrix but i am 18 yo without any experience and i dont know what to do... i really want to success but it feels like i wont make it

Take things slowly. Yes, you will not be spending much time with music for awhile, and trust me, when you get free time, you’re probably going to want to sleep. But that’s OK. Take your time. There is no game buzzer for “making it.” Think slow and steady; you have a lot to learn.

Are we talking about the U.S. Army? If so, what will your MOS be?

GJ

Take things slowly. Yes, you will not be spending much time with music for awhile, and trust me, when you get free time, you’re probably going to want to sleep. But that’s OK. Take your time. There is no game buzzer for “making it.” Think slow and steady; you have a lot to learn.

Are we talking about the U.S. Army? If so, what will your MOS be?

GJ
The Israeli army XD
I really want to success in it.
martin garrix, avicii, david guetta etc. They all started at very young age and had a lot of free time for it. I am 18 and i wont have free time until 21 (or maybe 20) but I want to use the 20 min that i will have to exrecise but i dont know how to do it with a phone bwcause i wont have my computer . It always been my dream but i never believed in myself, even now my friends are laughing at me that i want to be a music producer instead of software engineer.
I think that there is kind of game buzzer because i dont want to live with small salary trying to become a music producer and dont secceed.

You are 18, being in the military is not a death sentence that people make it out to be

Forget about the mass media definition of success as it drives many people to suicide (see RIP Avicii : WeAreTheMusicMakers regarding Avicii's death) and there are many things that one has to do in music to sustain themselves (marketing/promo, etc.) not solely for themselves but to the desire of employers (and their higher ups whom they answer to) so in that regard music business is like any other as everyone answers to someone in a way (esp. if they are signed). Making music a career is not literally creating 24/7 w/nothing else to be done. Live life holistically and realistically outside music so you can put something spiritually into your music.

Examples of people who are in the military but still make music are: “No 9 to 5, No Plan B”: Smitti Boi Explains How He Risked It All For A Career In Music

FPs own

https://www.futureproducers.com/foru...rs/431261.html

https://www.futureproducers.com/foru...rs/450093.html

Life works on the basis of reality not dreams. Dreams imply fantasies which don't always come true.

You ain't Martin Garrix, Avicii, etc. you are you and there can/should only be one you.

You should be in college/university/trade school at your age but you (or did your parents) choose/chose the Military which can be a mature choice equal to attending college, university and/or trade school.

You have your whole life to make music if you leave out the fantasy of making it according to how mass media sells the dream which implies that you do little to no work for what is perceived as immense financial success.

Last edited:
You will be fine. Slow and Steady wins the race. Do you play any instruments? I was an Army Bandsman for almost a decade. Serve and play at the same time is a good way to go!

GJ

You will be fine. Slow and Steady wins the race. Do you play any instruments? I was an Army Bandsman for almost a decade. Serve and play at the same time is a good way to go!

GJ

No i dont play XD
I am gonna be in the tanks lol :P

Last edited:
My advice would be to get a hold of some good old-fashion books to read, covering important theory related to the music production process. Believe me, there is a lot of theory to learn that will greatly benefit you when you get back to having access to the software you'll use to actually do some production!

Some of the best books I've read on these subjects include:

• Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio by Mike Senior
  • The Mixing Engineer's Handbook
  • Music Theory For Computer Musicians

Reading books might not be the most exiting thing to do, but if you're interested in getting good at what you do, it's worth it!

My advice would be to get a hold of some good old-fashion books to read, covering important theory related to the music production process. Believe me, there is a lot of theory to learn that will greatly benefit you when you get back to having access to the software you'll use to actually do some production!

Some of the best books I've read on these subjects include:

• Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio by Mike Senior
  • The Mixing Engineer's Handbook
  • Music Theory For Computer Musicians

Reading books might not be the most exiting thing to do, but if you're interested in getting good at what you do, it's worth it!
Hey and thank you very much for your help!
Where can i get these books?

Just google the titles, and you'll get places to purchase according to where you live!
Amazon is always your friend. They have all the titles I believe.

Just being overly helpful:

Music Theory For Computer Musicians:
Music Theory for Computer Musicians: Michael Hewitt: 8580001270159: Amazon.com: Books
The Mixing Engineer's Handbook - Fourth Edition: The Mixing Engineer's Handbook: Fourth Edition: Bobby Owsinski: 9780988839182: Amazon.com: Books
Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio 2nd Edition: Amazon.com: Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio (Sound On Sound Presents...) eBook: Mike Senior: Kindle Store

Resource site with tons of material for the last one: Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio (Cambridge Music Technology)

Also, if you want to learn how to create your own synth patches, and not just be a "preset guy", I'd recommend reading up on the basics of synthesis (subtractive, FM, wavetable etc), so that no matter what synth you use you can always make a killer patch that sounds awesome.

The following books are pretty old, but still golden and relevant when it comes to listening to a sound and re-creating it using software synths.
I've read both and they're not very hard to get through, and if you're allowed to bring an iPad or a eBook reader, you can get these very cheap on the Books Store on iOS or Mac or through Amazon as a Kindle Edition for around $3-4 per book:

How to Make a Noise: Analog Synthesis Amazon.com: How to Make a Noise: Analog Synthesis eBook: Simon Cann: Books
How to Make a Noise: Frequency Modulation Synthesis: http://tinyurl.com/y4b5fhys

Also used copies in paper form sells for around $4.

Then when you've read these you go get this one, and do all the exercises, recreating all the sounds in your synth of choice:

Keyboard Presents: Steal This Sound https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Presents-Steal-This-Sound-ebook/dp/B00IISACL8

Also an old book from 2011, but the exercises are still just as relevant.

Good Luck!

Just being overly helpful:

Music Theory For Computer Musicians:
Music Theory for Computer Musicians: Michael Hewitt: 8580001270159: Amazon.com: Books
The Mixing Engineer's Handbook - Fourth Edition: The Mixing Engineer's Handbook: Fourth Edition: Bobby Owsinski: 9780988839182: Amazon.com: Books
Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio 2nd Edition: Amazon.com: Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio (Sound On Sound Presents...) eBook: Mike Senior: Kindle Store

Resource site with tons of material for the last one: Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio (Cambridge Music Technology)

Also, if you want to learn how to create your own synth patches, and not just be a "preset guy", I'd recommend reading up on the basics of synthesis (subtractive, FM, wavetable etc), so that no matter what synth you use you can always make a killer patch that sounds awesome.

The following books are pretty old, but still golden and relevant when it comes to listening to a sound and re-creating it using software synths.
I've read both and they're not very hard to get through, and if you're allowed to bring an iPad or a eBook reader, you can get these very cheap on the Books Store on iOS or Mac or through Amazon as a Kindle Edition for around $3-4 per book:

How to Make a Noise: Analog Synthesis Amazon.com: How to Make a Noise: Analog Synthesis eBook: Simon Cann: Books
How to Make a Noise: Frequency Modulation Synthesis: http://tinyurl.com/y4b5fhys

Also used copies in paper form sells for around $4.

Then when you've read these you go get this one, and do all the exercises, recreating all the sounds in your synth of choice:

Keyboard Presents: Steal This Sound https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Presents-Steal-This-Sound-ebook/dp/B00IISACL8

Also an old book from 2011, but the exercises are still just as relevant.

Good Luck!

Oh wow thank you :D
I have another question
My dream is to be a dj like marshmello/martin garrix/mesto/etc..
I am 18 and i started 1.5 months ago to learn music production(and i have just the basics of usint dj controller). Is it too late for me? Or that i still have a chance to be like them(not at the top but at leasr a successful one XD )

Oh wow thank you :D
I have another question
My dream is to be a dj like marshmello/martin garrix/mesto/etc..
I am 18 and i started 1.5 months ago to learn music production(and i have just the basics of usint dj controller). Is it too late for me? Or that i still have a chance to be like them(not at the top but at leasr a successful one XD )

Hey, you're just a kid. Not too late in any way. Dedication and hard work will get you anywhere you want to go, and don't forget to network and get your stuff out there.
Social media like Instagram and Twitter is important and SoundCloud and BeatStars.com are great places to start uploading your stuff when you get to that point.

If you only choose ONE of the first three books, then I personally think it should be: The Mixing Engineer's Handbook - Fourth Edition.
It has a wealth of useful information and interviews with mixers like Jimmy Douglass (Snoop Dog, Jay-Z, Ludacris, Missy Elliott etc), John Gass (Usher, Babyface etc), Andrew Scheps (Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Justin Timberlake etc) and many other influential people sharing their tips and tricks.

Even if live performance / DJ'ing is your primary goal, mixing is an essential skill, and an important stepping-stone on the path to create your own music.

Hey, you're just a kid. Not too late in any way. Dedication and hard work will get you anywhere you want to go, and don't forget to network and get your stuff out there.
Social media like Instagram and Twitter is important and SoundCloud and BeatStars.com are great places to start uploading your stuff when you get to that point.

If you only choose ONE of the first three books, then I personally think it should be: The Mixing Engineer's Handbook - Fourth Edition.
It has a wealth of useful information and interviews with mixers like Jimmy Douglass (Snoop Dog, Jay-Z, Ludacris, Missy Elliott etc), John Gass (Usher, Babyface etc), Andrew Scheps (Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Justin Timberlake etc) and many other influential people sharing their tips and tricks.

Even if live performance / DJ'ing is your primary goal, mixing is an essential skill, and an important stepping-stone on the path to create your own music.

I saw that the book is 40$. Is it worth the money?
My English level is not so high, I dont speak English at my country, is it still worth the buying? Can i still understand everything?
P.s thank you for your help

Last edited:
I saw that the book is 50$. Is it worth the money?
My English level is not so high, I dont speak English at my country, is it still worth the buying? Can i still understand everything?
P.s thank you for your help

Yeah, I guess the paper format is quite expensive. If you're allowed to bring an eBook reader, an iPad or something, I paid around $25 for it as an eBook. If you search the darker corners of the web, you'll probably find it as a torrent or something, not that I encourage this, but just mentioning it if it's a last-resort kinda thing and money is stopping you from pursuing your passion and all...
Maybe you can get it used on Amazon. Depending on where you live the shipping might get expensive though...

Still think it's worth it, but hey, there might be cheaper books out there that covers much of the same stuff, just don't know from personal experience. I learned a lot from that book at least.
You might want to go for the books on synth sounds first, they come much cheaper. Learning to create great sounding synth patches is also a very important skill.
I think you'll be able to understand these books, even though you're not a native English speaker, but, they are books covering sound engineering topics, so it's not like reading a magazine article...

Both books on mixing are pretty expensive, but consider it an investment in your future.

Back