Don'T FroNT!! What are you rollin in?!

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:

Have your windows gone out on you yet? $300 a pop to fix. First my right rear one went out, and more recently my left rear one just went out. Somehow the motor gets disconnected from the window. I think it's because the windows seal so tight. It makes for a quiet ride, but man does it suck to get them fixed.

the problems i've had with my windows were the following: a clamp to secure it in place broke two winters ago and the window "fell" into the door, staying open until i got it repaired..

of course this happened on a saturday afternoon at 20 degrees fahrenheit and the bmw dealer didn't open til monday

also the mechanism that opens the window a little (i guess thats only for convertibles, to seal the windows up properly) stopped working, so i had to start the iginition and let the windows down a little bit for being able to close the door each time or they'd hit the sealing/roof (when closed or with hardtop) and eventually even break the glass.. (one stopped working about 3 months after the other was repaired)

that was about 300 euro for each side for getting the windowmotors replaced

i also had to replace the whole cooling system, the whole breaking system, one of my shock springs broke (i still wonder how), i had to first seal up the gearbox, and eventually even replace it (that cost me about 3000 $ only hardware, not including the time of the mechanics) etc.

everytime it was at the bmw dealer i paid at least 800 euro (about 1000 US$) and i guess the max amount was at around 5k..

in the end i sold the car with approx. 140k km (approx. 87k miles) on it to a friend and he didn't have any trouble since (hehe, of course.. i already replaced more or less everything ;))

i still do have to admit, that the engine never had troubles and was running smoothly and fast (well, i did a little work on the EC) and despite of being a heavy convertible it took me 6.9 seconds from 0 to 100 kmh (60 mph) top closed and max speed of a little more than 250 km/h (about 160 mph) roof open (don't know the top speed roof closed or with hardtop.. probably a little more)

i actually think that the european bmw dealers are cheaper than those overseas, so i was even "lucky"

so.. no more bmw for me for the next few years, but i really loved the car!

here's a pic: click me (and yup, that's me in the reflection of the window making the picture)

I've really had no big problems other than the windows and an oxygen sensor once. For me it's just things like changing breaks ($1000) and stuff like that. Don't get me wrong. I love the car. The way it drives, and handles is great. Never had any major problem with the engine either. i have 110k miles on it, and it still drives like it's brand new. It's just oil changes cost $250, major tune ups around &600. Even though you only have to change the oil every 15K miles, it's still kind of pricy. The engine is absolutely amazing as well. It's probable one of the smoothest engines in the world.

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:
The engine is absolutely amazing as well. It's probable one of the smoothest engines in the world.

well, mine was a little older than yours, so the other repairs were simply an age-effect ;)

and regarding the quote - jup, that's what the 6 cylinder-bmw engines are known for

(well.. except for the 2001 M3 engines that had their pistons shooting through the heads.. i've had 4 friends with the exact same damage, but bmw eventually changed all the early 2001 m3 engines for no charge)

1976 Mercedes Benz 450SL convertible (with hardtop and rag).
1996 Isuzu Rodeo LS
1997 Saturn
2000 BMW 540 (with sport package)

The Benz basically lives in storage.
The Isuzu serves its purpose.
My girl pushes the Saturn.
And the 540… Well, you know how that go!

The Saturn is dying, so I may have to replace it soon.
And, I’ve been eyeing that 745. But, it may have to wait awhile, because money’s a little tight right now.

I empathize with all my co-BMW drivers. I had a 1995 M3 (black w/ luxury package). It was sweet! But, I would blow tires about once a month. And a full set would run me about $1,500 (US). I’m only (sarcasm) paying about $1,200 per set now, with the 540. But, those $200 oil changes are a killer.

It's all good I have a 96 Sentra, silver w/ a one two-toned door. and one rim, missing. Its all good when I sell my beats, this crazy women will be all on me when I roll in the Lamborghini.

Thats why i love being in the city, trains,busses,etc everywhere and on top of that women will suggest taking public transportation anywhere. In the burbs you get looked at funny if you suggest taking public transportation lol..but you have to be a fool to drive in chicago downtown area.

I'm ridin in a Ol' School 1989 Cadillac Seville wit 2 T.V's in the visors and PS2 up in that sh*t. Ridin on 15" 100 spoke wire wheels wit white walls(I Keep 'Em Clean Though) Light Blue Exterior with Navy Guts. Keepin it Gangsta Cuz

+48 said:
_968991_camel300.jpg

gotta stick to the stereo-types...

LOL

my cars ****ed so im looking for a new one. but with the cash..... i then think..... studio could put this money alot better uses... and i could roll in a **** car. but be on my way to a sick studio. or roll up in a bm and have the studio as is now. :( what to do? D

94 impala ss with some snap ons and a shift kit and its in the shop, don't buy one unless you are ready for headaches, but when it runs right, eleven years old well twelve now, as I said when it runs right the LT1 is a rumbler. Love it as much as my triton.

I was whippin 95 Honda hatchback until I got rearended 2 times in two day but my 15 Solor barirk was still bumpin but it now sits in my studio while I rock the bus pass

a '92 Chevy Burban (glass-house) as we call 'em down here. but its got missing wheel covers and a broken shock ... lets just say is all fuked up... and o yea it loves gas...

Back