Does the terminology of music matter when they got pictures everywhere?

KonKossKang

Ozagas
piano-chords.jpgmusic_piano_chords_illustration-o.jpg

Found these a while back and also looked at band's scale chart.
Is learnin those nicknames[those are a lot of nicknames] gonna benefit or that doesn't matter?
The pictures show every note in the chords so... I mean...is that strictly just for terminology reasons?

Piano scales - learn how to play scales on piano too found that on google months back.

I can understand why sheet music is important though because that actually works better than saying the letter/numbers and that's only the letters number not the tempo/duration/nuances/how hard to strike each note etc sheet music makes more sense than that but the chord nicknames...eh.

By terminology do you mean the abbreviations of the chords? D7? Dsus2? Etc? If you dont plan on reading sheet music i wouldn't say its too important as long as you can recognize any variation of it. Lots of cultures notate differently.

Id say the most important one to recognize is the dominant 7th chord since its the defining chord which tells you what key you're in..which is always labeled A7, B7, etc... just the letter and the 7, not to be confused with Dm7 or Bm7..so if you ever need to figure out the key of a piece just look for the dominant chord. And whichever scale has that dom as its 5th chord, thats your key.

The rest may vary a little bit but usually you can just look at it and recognize what it his if you have basic knowledge of chords and somewhat understanding of the abbreviations.

Not super important, but easy to learn.

Last edited:
I've literally tried to find every excuse in the book not to learn none of that but it just keeps comin back to that 24/7...omfg.
So the only answer seems to just be "stop being reluctant to learn what could possibly be a huge shortcut later on"
Eh...-_- it just...ah. I don't... dam I'm just unsure of how much of a benefit it'd be to learn the stuff beyond scales and those chord combos.

I'm just trying to find the "you don't have to learn all of this complicated stuff to have an easier time with piano in general" answer lol.
But it's just not gonna be that simple is it, ah...I might have to just suck it up.

The simplest way - imo - is to learn how the chords are constructed, instead of trying to memorize a shitload of different key combinations. It might sound more theoretical at first, but it's gonna be much easier in the long run...

The simplest way - imo - is to learn how the chords are constructed, instead of trying to memorize a shitload of different key combinations. It might sound more theoretical at first, but it's gonna be much easier in the long run...

I could be wrong but i think all he's talking about is how the chords are notated when written on sheet music.

Like a C major 7 would be written Cmaj7 , he's wondering if he would have to remember that its notated Cmaj7. At least thats what I was answering to..

But if you are talking about having to remember key combos for each individual chord, i agree with krushing. If you just learn the 'shape' or the intervals between each finger(easiest way for me to do it, might be a bad habit though?) that go into building the chord, then you can just do it by look without having to think about the key combos.

I think building chords on the piano roll for awhile actually teaches you how chords are put together pretty good, at least for me it did. Because when I'm doing it like that i build based on how many piano roll slots are in-between each note, so it was a good way of getting used to how many intervals/half steps i need between each finger. Helps with playing in real time and not having to think about what notes to press when you start thinking of chords as how many keys are between each finger. Then you just need to know the root note and the rest is just a 'shape'.

Someone more experienced at playing should tell me if this is a bad habit to get used to haha.

This is a hard thing for me to articulate as I am still a young padawan in the game and I just got done smoking rock cocaine in a 1984 Buick Regal with a crippled 55 year old Puerto Rican broad who speak no english.
Musicianship is like sobriety-the longer you put it off, the harder it will be to attain later on.

I doubt the rest of theory because learnin sheet music, makes notation software somewhat of an alternative to keying :O
Or piano rolling.Or overdub and it has me doubting learning more else.

The usual shapes is like one or two notes apart and since all of the octaves the same it'd make that easier wouldn't it tho?
I look at the chords on that huge list like a bunch of combos tbh the picture's not the problem, mortal kombat has some crazy ast notations too but beside the point it seem like the only way is just practice or hit random notes :/

Can someone without Aspergers please tell me what the hell KKK is talking about? I don't wanna waste what few brain cells I haven't smoked away trying to figure it out.

How in the world did you know I have aspergers :O
Oh wait... hahaha ok ok I see it now.
Blessed with the based confliction I tell ya.

Only did muscle relaxers just once for sure, wow and that was a long time ago not last week :/

Here's the breakdown:

1) Learn as much theory as you can
2) Put it to good use until it's so natural you don't think about "using theory"
3) ???
4) PROFIT!!!

...but seriously, I don't think there's anything not worth learning. If you really understand the fundamentals extremely well - and judging from how you talk about it, it sounds like there's still work to be done there - you probably won't need to learn much else if simple pop music is what you want to do. But the thing is, when you absolutely understand all the "regular" stuff, you'll probably want to learn more, because you'll start to see patterns and possibilities where previously none were to be seen.

Probably just one of them things man lol. I think I'm gonna have to just rely on overdubbing. Like a random chord then the sequence play again add another chord and just keep building like that.

What I've learned though, is that for those who do choose to learn as much as they can about music theory, you will be able to do things faster.
Unfortunately I got into this hobby for the beatmaking and sound design mainly but still. Although I do feel like attempting to learn all of reason if possible.

initial claim was "do I need to remember those "nicknames"?"

answer no because they are not nicknames but real names: you do need to remember the real names as each chord and scale when having a different naming note is different when you play it and when you write it out

more succinctly: the charts and diagrams are no replacement for real, remembered knowledge: knowing what makes a chord a major or a minor 7th is far more important than having a diagram on your wall that perhaps will let you get past the next bar in your music

Dam. That makes sense too, didn't think of that either. There's so much in the field I can't learn all of it even if I wanted to lol.
Although there's a few things I can definitely handle, this ain't one of em :/ maybe down the line I might attempt learning slightly more theory it but there's still a lot of hidden stuff I do not understand in my software too :O

Ok so I'm starting to assume we aren't just talking about the chord abbreviations as they're notated.. I thought thats all you meant. If you were talking about actually knowing the names of the chords then yah. Whoops. I wasnt meaning on telling you those weren't important. My point was more along the lines of that krushing was saying - once you know the actual names of the chords, the abbreviations become obvious so you dont have to put effort into learning what they are... but in order to get to that point then yah, you need to know what chords are named obvs.

I'll research the actual names instead of the nicknames then along with the images, might have to learn some more theory after all.

I'll research the actual names instead of the nicknames then along with the images, might have to learn some more theory after all.

those aren't nicknames they are the real names - Dm7 means D minor 7th; as with any language there are abbreviations to allow you to say the same thing with fewer symbols

so yes learn the full names and their abbreviations but never think of them as nicknames as they are not that

I will also have to study those numbers after the names because I'm assumin people call them like that because of the circle of 5ths, I think it go like this:
C-G
D-A
E-B
F-C
G-E
A-E
B-F
C-G again.

Startin to think it's actually another shortcut like scales and the more I read these.
Tempted to just use this as another shortcut and just think of it like [Circle of 5ths 4ths 3rds 2nds 7ths 6ths] if those don't already exist.
I'm startin to think that after c if a b hits after it, that's gonna be a 7th?
If this is another way of saying a note after...oh. Dam.

C7 means C-E-G-Bb: the distance between C and Bb is a minor 7th; the triad (C-E-G) is a major triad

Cmaj7 means C-E-G-B: the distance between C and B is a major 7th; the triad (C-E-G) is a major triad

Dm7 means D-F-A-C: the distance between D and C is a minor 7th; the triad (D-F-A) is a minor triad

Dm-maj7 means D-F-A-C#: the distance between D and C# is a major 7th; the triad (D-F-A) is a minor triad

see these for a more detailed coverage of chord construction and naming

Bandcoach ~ Keys, Scales, Chords: A Key Independent Approach to Chord Building

Band Coach ~ Keys, Scales, Chords: Name that chord

Back