Does FP have real musicians?

neverenoughfunk said:
there is no question about that but that individual that has "not" honed his/her skills and creates a "two finger melody" for someone enjoyment is a musician. not in the same class as duke but a musician just the same.

again, i hate to admit it but solderboy is a musician.

does he have "real" skills? no

does he create music for others enjoyment? yes

therefore he a musician.

wow, that was painful to type. :cry:

I dont know if I agree with you......

I play SEVERAL instruments.....

Just about ALL brass & Saxes
Keyboards
and am currently teaching myself to play Bass....

AND

I can READ music TOO...
do I consider myself a musician.....no, not really

Why......because, with the exception of the saxaphone....(and the Tuba...LOL) I dont play ANY of them well enough that I could be PAID for it!

I am a SINGER (Been PAID for that!)
I am a SONGWRITER (Been PAID for that!)
I am a PRODUCER (Been PAID for that!)

but I am NOT gonna sit here and FRONT like I am a musician because I will only end up EMBARASSING MYSELF!

Just like someone who tries to speak a little spanish....and when someone (WHO REALLY SPEAKS SPANISH) starts SPEWING words at them a mile a minute, they sit there with a DUMB @SS look on their face because they dont understaqnd what they are saying....LOL

DO YOU.....

DONT FRONT......Just DO YOU

PEACE

I think it's pretty pointless trying to draw a line between who's "real" and who's not. It's obviously always going to be a hazy competition; there's always going to be people that can be completely masterful on their instruments but never really want to do it professionally - on the other hand there's a myriad of bands on MTV that aren't exactly skilled with their toys, but have been able to offer a suitably marketable package to the record company. I've never considered myself a musician, even though I've done some paid work, played a bunch of instruments most of my life and have multiple ongoing bands and projects - I can take the role of a musician, but that's the extent of it.

BigBrotherMotown said:
I dont know if I agree with you......

I play SEVERAL instruments.....

Just about ALL brass & Saxes
Keyboards
and am currently teaching myself to play Bass....

AND

I can READ music TOO...
do I consider myself a musician.....no, not really

Why......because, with the exception of the saxaphone....(and the Tuba...LOL) I dont play ANY of them well enough that I could be PAID for it!

I am a SINGER (Been PAID for that!)
I am a SONGWRITER (Been PAID for that!)
I am a PRODUCER (Been PAID for that!)

but I am NOT gonna sit here and FRONT like I am a musician because I will only end up EMBARASSING MYSELF!

Just like someone who tries to speak a little spanish....and when someone (WHO REALLY SPEAKS SPANISH) starts SPEWING words at them a mile a minute, they sit there with a DUMB @SS look on their face because they dont understaqnd what they are saying....LOL

DO YOU.....

DONT FRONT......Just DO YOU

PEACE

:victory:

by the way i like the music on the myspace page.

krushing said:
I think it's pretty pointless trying to draw a line between who's "real" and who's not. It's obviously always going to be a hazy competition; there's always going to be people that can be completely masterful on their instruments but never really want to do it professionally - on the other hand there's a myriad of bands on MTV that aren't exactly skilled with their toys, but have been able to offer a suitably marketable package to the record company. I've never considered myself a musician, even though I've done some paid work, played a bunch of instruments most of my life and have multiple ongoing bands and projects - I can take the role of a musician, but that's the extent of it.

now, that is well put there. :cheers:

I am a guitarist, mainly play metal, wrote several songs, but I also practice a lot of Classical guitar as well. I've never had music theory though or anything like that, you can play instruments that you don't necesarry have to go to training, the two major ones is, Piano and Guitar (including Bass). I mean really if you have an ear for music you can listen to the songs and just transpose it. But I also play little piano, but not near as much as guitar.

neverenoughfunk said:
i forgot the artist name but he did a show where he just sat a the piano for 3 minutes without playing a note and the name of the song was silence, is that really music? yes, because a rest is very musical.

John Cage was his name. The piece is named 4"33', actually.

But his point wasn't that a rest is still music, although that's definitely a valid interpretation. His point was that there's no such thing as silence. The "music" in the piece is actually the shifting of the audience in their seats, breathing, the closing of the fingerboard lid, etc.

Original topic: Back when Rock and Roll first started, "classical" musicians didn't consider rock performers to be "musicians", in much the same way that guitarists and drummers today don't consider current electronic musicians to be "real" musicians ("Electronic Musician" is probably the best description to encompass what everyone here at FP is into in one form or another. Hip Hop/Dance/House/CurrentPopMusick is all "electronic" music now. Hip Hop at it's heart, being based on turntables and samples and reappropriation, is electronic music).

But we can still have distinctions without belittling anybody. Surely we all conjure up two different images if I describe a guitarist as "Classically trained" or "Self-taught." Who would be better? Who cares, we have different kinds of respect for both. In the same way, you'd probably conjure up two different images if I describe a musician as "traditional" or "electronic". To me, the traditional/electronic is the distinction. Traditional instruments are, at least at their core, able to be played without any kind of electricity. Electronic instruments are ones for whom electricity is inherent in their musical-ness. (Hopefully, you see how something like an electric guitar still falls on the traditional side without having to explain too much. Elec guitars are still basically just regular guitars with electric amplification)

So instead of asking "who's a real musician?" maybe we should be asking "who can play a traditional instrument?" And of course, inherent in that statement is the notion that they also play the instrument in a traditional way. Because that's really the point of these questions, obviously it's silly to try and draw distinctions between totally different forms of art. Playing turntables is almost nothing like playing a guitar (And I've done both for years, to answer the OP's question). I don't think there's any sort of criteria by which you could judge one better than the other, other than the fact that they both make music. Musically, their operating procedure and raison d'etre are completely different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hosey said:
So instead of asking "who's a real musician?" maybe we should be asking "who can play a traditional instrument?"

i think i asked the question correctly. judging by the replies, most of us know what i mean by a real musician.

MuSickJunKeyz said:
i think i asked the question correctly. judging by the replies, most of us know what i mean by a real musician.
Only because people know what you meant, doesn't mean that it's correct what you said. When I say "who is you?", you would immediately know what I mean but it's still not correct and uneducated.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/musician

2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

I think it's funny how the people who play a traditional music instrument are raising their hands saying "yes I'm a musician", while other people are arguing over what the definition of a "musician" is.

Even though I hate to admit it, I feel that anyone who plays music for other people's enjoyment is a musician regardless of venue or complexity. Like a DJ for example, what is the difference between a DJ spinning records of other people's music for a crowd and a conductor directing a symphony playing music made by other people a hundred years ago for a crowd? Neither the DJ or the conductor wrote or play the music, but they are directing the music to entertain an audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I consider myself a pianist before anything. Before I considered myself a producer, I was a pianist. I've developed a love for music from playing the piano. I'm classically trained (17 years now) but I think I can play pretty much anything, as long as it doesn't involve really complex jazz substitutions when I'm soloing. I do have recordings of myself playing (there's one on my Soundclick of me playing a movement from Mendelssohn's D minor Piano Trio), but none of them are really that good.

out of all these musicians are anyone of you guys/gals in the union?

what type of crowds have you played before (50, 100, 1000, 10000)?

what is the biggest venu have you played?

could you entertain a group of people for 45 minutes with your skills?

if an artist called you to the stage would you be able to sit in?

if an artist called to a studio could you play something in 11/4?

do you know how to read charts (reading charts is different reading music)?

can you write charts?

can you transpose songs to other keys?

can you create arrangments?

do you know the different between a bosa nova, shuffle, bebop, swing, etc?

or can you only do what you do?

what is the biggest venu have you played?- some Hotel/Restuarant, and some Recitals.. not to major though

could you entertain a group of people for 45 minutes with your skills?- ehh maybe.. i have before, played in a resturant for an ill minute

if an artist called you to the stage would you be able to sit in?-yupp

if an artist called to a studio could you play something in 11/4?- hmm that would take some time.. but yea

do you know how to read charts (reading charts is different reading music)?- yea most def

can you write charts?- naw workin on it

can you transpose songs to other keys?- yeaa easy

can you create arrangments?- yupp

do you know the different between a bosa nova, shuffle, bebop, swing, etc?- yeaa, except boss nova.. never really fuked it

or can you only do what you do- i shall ALWAYS do what I do

BUT.. just because you may not kno all this.. doesnt mean ur any less of a musician..

there are people out there that can read and write charts for years and days and sound stale and stagnant.. and there are people out there who can just play what sounds good, and it sounds better..

as20gp said:

what is the biggest venu have you played?- some Hotel/Restuarant, and some Recitals.. not to major though

could you entertain a group of people for 45 minutes with your skills?- ehh maybe.. i have before, played in a resturant for an ill minute

if an artist called you to the stage would you be able to sit in?-yupp

if an artist called to a studio could you play something in 11/4?- hmm that would take some time.. but yea

do you know how to read charts (reading charts is different reading music)?- yea most def

can you write charts?- naw workin on it

can you transpose songs to other keys?- yeaa easy

can you create arrangments?- yupp

do you know the different between a bosa nova, shuffle, bebop, swing, etc?- yeaa, except boss nova.. never really fuked it

or can you only do what you do- i shall ALWAYS do what I do

BUT.. just because you may not kno all this.. doesnt mean ur any less of a musician..

there are people out there that can read and write charts for years and days and sound stale and stagnant.. and there are people out there who can just play what sounds good, and it sounds better..

that is why my first question was about the union (i see you did not answer that one) because when one hires an union musician 9.9 times out 10 that person has skills to perform exactly what an artist wants. a artist would not hire a classical musician for a funky band if in his/her resume/bio they have no experience in a funk band. that does not make any sense at all.

in most cases where an union musician is hired he/she cant play what they want but what they are hired to do. that is why there are charts, so that everyone is on the same page.

i have an question, how can you write an arrangment but not charts? they work hand in hand. if you could read a chart how come you can not write one? that does not make sense to me either.

its not that i CANT write charts, its just that i havent really tried, which is why im workin on it..

hopefully i can perfect it when i go to Berklee

Back