Does FP have real musicians?

I play drums. i used to play tri-toms in a step team back in the day but now i play full kits. On one of my next youtube videos ima incorporate playing the drums in that track...should be a fun watch!

www.youtube.com/teshan3000

Xabiton said:
where are these straight samples? most everything i hear are keyboard based tracks.

Im talking about the beats that have the dope musical elements in them. Not a lead synth thats played with 2 fingers. Anything you hear with a nice rich complex instrument is a sample for the most part. I heard a couple of dudes really kill some keys. But besides that most of the stuff is pretty simple.

uNDefineD said:
dead wrong. you cannot tell me a guy who operates a glorified stereo is a musician.

as for me, i play the drums, guitar and keys, and i (attempt to) sing.
RESPECT THE DJ'S... DJ's made this thing called hip hop what it is... where do you think sampling came from... It is an art, and its pressure...

Canei said:
Im talking about the beats that have the dope musical elements in them. Not a lead synth thats played with 2 fingers. Anything you hear with a nice rich complex instrument is a sample for the most part. I heard a couple of dudes really kill some keys. But besides that most of the stuff is pretty simple.

Some 2 finger leads have lead to bangers... i dont see the difference with someone banging the pad of a MPC playing a sample... I feel like if you are versatile enough to incorporate all aspects of production then thats when your a beast... I feel like producers get caught up in what they do and if you can actually play a little better than another cat, then you degrade a persons way of making art....

what you feel is hot may not be hot to another person... thats the BIG mistake that people make... people like what they like... new or old....

I really think the quality of music will come from the time you spend on the track... the actual, production, mixing, tweaking of the track...

And remember simplicity sells :D

Last edited:
I can still seduce a lady on the sax, even though I havn't messed with it since I pawned it 13 years ago. I was perfection. First chair was my seat in high school. The black ghetto Kenny G. I can play a lil bass and do basic lil shyt. Never played the drums, but I can knock on your door and have your head bobbin on your way to open it.

zionproductions said:
I'm the illest on the block on a Recorder...son still got my original beige plastic joint from the first grade...I can blow a mean melody, son!

LOL

I dont have my ORIGINAL recorder from third grade but I bought another one a few years back....

Actually...Knowing how to play the recorder enabled me to teach myself how to play the sax. The finger positions/notes are exactly the SAME....

:cheers:

901_Rice_Street said:

So what you're saying is you suck?

I do guitar, bass, drums, trumpet, a little bit of keys, and pretty much whatever else anybody asks me to do.

Guess I'm not a REAL musician, I'm a FAKE musician. How can I get a REAL musician? Is there a certificate I can get? I guess those FP idiots give those certificates away.

If you play the piano, then you're a piano player/pianist, if you write music, then you're a music writer, doesn't matter if your write it with 2 notes or 2000 notes - there is no such thing as REAL musician and FAKE musician.

rocsta said:
- there is no such thing as REAL musician and FAKE musician.

so true, but there are labels for musician such as beginner, experenced, good, not so good, great, funky, soulful, amazing, s#cks etc.

look at solderboy he is actually a musician, i hate the fact but it is true. if we could compare the times solderboy made tons of more money than mozart. who is a better musician? a 13 year old kid would think solderboy is a better musician than mozart. this where talent comes in, anyone in there right mind knows mozart was a bad boy.

the best way to approach this is do "your" own thing. whether is sampling, playing runnings, two fingered melody, using a mouse just make music. if you are making music for others to enjoy than you are a musician. it took a while for me to swallow this pill because i have spend tons of hour practicing but it is what it is.

i use to think two fingered melody showed no talent but if you listen to duke ellington he wrote allot of two fingered melody songs and one would consider him a great musician.

last point, this is why "cutting" (which you guys/gals call battling) is so important for musicians. this how one musician indicates to another that thier skill are not up to par. so, what keeps me going musically is "cutting" that next musician who "thinks" they are nicer than me.

that should be "your" approach as a musician too, because it will make us all better.

:sing:

in my opinion, there is only "one" which "I" consider a great hip-hop artist and that is mary j. my definition of great is a musician who can perform any style of music better than avg and mary j can. timbo, pete, neptunes, etc are great/good at what they do but they are not in the same class as mary j musically.

again, this just my opinion.

Last edited:
I consider myself a musician. I started with Bass 16 years ago. Started Acoustic guitar about 14 years ago. I've been in several bands from grunge to blues. I got into Hip-Hop about 8 years ago and started producing beats on an MPC 2000XL and ASR 10. I'm now focusing mainly on a rock band I'm in.

You can check us out at:

My Hip-Hop group is: DepthFinder
www.Myspace.com/DepthFinder

my rock band is: Sway Breezy
www.MySpace.com/SwayBreezy

neverenoughfunk said:
i use to think two fingered melody showed no talent but if you listen to duke ellington he wrote allot of two fingered melody songs and one would consider him a great musician.

There's quite a difference in not being able to come up with anything else than "two-finger melodies" and honing your craft until all you need is that.

Ya there's a big difference. And duke ellington may have done 2 finger melody but his left hand was doing bass and rythm. I'm pretty sure anybody here doing 2 finger melody on a keyboard can't do both at the same time...

I've been playing the piano since I was about 6 ( I'm 20 now), the best investment my parents ever made (teacher)...

krushing said:
There's quite a difference in not being able to come up with anything else than "two-finger melodies" and honing your craft until all you need is that.

there is no question about that but that individual that has "not" honed his/her skills and creates a "two finger melody" for someone enjoyment is a musician. not in the same class as duke but a musician just the same.

again, i hate to admit it but solderboy is a musician.

does he have "real" skills? no

does he create music for others enjoyment? yes

therefore he a musician.

wow, that was painful to type. :cry:

I studied piano from the age of 4 until 14 which provided the foundation for me to read and understand music. I switched to guitar and have played in a band for 6 years. When I bought the drum kit for the band 2 years in I decided that I'd learn those too. Somehow I became a funk-style drummer but I am a guitarist pure and simple. I write all my songs on my 12 string guitar or my Gretsch depending on the style. I play my own bass lines because I can never make the keys play a bass line well enough. I like the slide effects of a bass guitar with your fingers.

I also studied Music Technology one year in college and Radio Production at another college, so I have progressed from reel to reel and an Atari 1040ST to using SONAR and Reason as my workhorses.

So, I guess the point is yes I am a musician. It's no longer my day job though.

Last edited:
I used to play the blues harp a lot. Never got really good at it, though.
Can hit some grooves on the drums, have a bass guitar which is collecting dust in the corner (but also got played a lot) and know some basic keyboard stuff.
My instrument of choice, though, is my computer. That's the one I've mastered to a degree I consider advanced.

Back