Does FP have real musicians?

MuSickJunKeyz

phenomusician
when i say real musicians i mean cats that actually play an instrument like piano (not just playing a melody on a keyboard) or the bass (not just playing a random bassline on a keyboard) or sax or something.

and if so, do you gig? like play at clubs or shows?

most people on here just got a copy of software and are making one-fingered productions on their keyboard.

are there any real musicians who have mastered their instrument?

(now i know that those who aren't will be offended, but it's simple, if it doesn't apply to you, don't worry about it)

I play guitar, bass, piano, drums, trumpet and a little sax, though I'm primarily a singer. Worked in the clubs professionally for 15 years before getting into production about 12 years ago.

I'm not offended in the least. :lol:

Whats the point of starting this kind of thread? is it for attention? because we both know how its going to go.

By definition a musician is someone who plays/writes music. Doesn't matter if you click in with a mouse, you play a a keyboard or record live instruments with a 4 track recorder. Your a musician.

I believe my sampler is an instrument.....and i believe i mastered my craft....now im on to learn keyboard.....then imma move onto bass and incorporate everything i've learned....as of playing the ACTUAL instrument i'm not really trying to learn that....I rather learn how to keep everything in key and just use a fantom or such for instrument SOUNDS.

noblewordz said:
Whats the point of starting this kind of thread? is it for attention? because we both know how its going to go.

By definition a musician is someone who plays/writes music. Doesn't matter if you click in with a mouse, you play a a keyboard or record live instruments with a 4 track recorder. Your a musician.
ok we seem to have missed what i said...i gave a definition then a disclaimer that if it didn't apply to you don't get offended and move on.

but let me clarify:
a pianist
a bassist
a saxophonist
a guitarist
...something you had to get training for.

by the way hackenslash where are you from?

Last edited:
there are a few musicians on here. Hitz, Str8klownin, I heard as20gp was ill on the keys, J-Traxx....

MuSickJunKeyz said:
ok we seem to have missed what i said...i gave a definition then a disclaimer that if it didn't apply to you don't get offended and move on.

but let me clarify:
a pianist
a bassist
a saxophonist
a guitarist

by the way hackenslash where are you from?

I didn't get offended.

I can define a pilot as someone who "presses buttons and ish, nahh mean son". Doesn't make the definition a correct one.

You don't have to get training to play any of those instruments. Jimi Hendrix didn't have any kind of training, and could play better than most people that do.

noblewordz said:
Jimi Hendrix didn't have any kind of training, and could play better than most people that do.

true...well with that being said does anybody play an instrument for real?

I play piano (I read also), still getting the guitar underway, and most importantly (to me that is) I sing ( gospel is my first love, but I have been classically trained, so everything from jazz to opera, I've done it).

Obi the incredible plays drums or guitar every sunday at his church. Also he ha played tons of shows and weddings. He's more than decent on both. He also play keys but he's not as good as I am on the other 2 but I can get through a service without messing up....

*waves hand*

Pretty nice on the piano myself. Drums was the first instrument tho.

I'm the illest on the block on a Recorder...son still got my original beige plastic joint from the first grade...I can blow a mean melody, son!

Ive been playing the drums since i was 11 and I'm 23 now, so i would definitely consider myself to be a musician in the classic sense, but like someone said earlier i consider my mpc to be be a real instrument to... i mean think of the last time you let someone that was definitely not a musician, and by that i mean they couldn't even catch a beat to save their lives play with your keyboard, mpc, groovebox, ect. ok, so now would you not think at least to some capacity that you were a legitimate musician, i guess I'm talking in a general since but mainly to those who make beats and have been told they weren't a musician or don't think they were to begin with

seems to be alot of musicians on here. I wonder how many people incorporate these skills in their beats. Cause i hear alot of straight samples on here. Might not be none of these people tho. I do play Keys and a little bit of drums and guitar. havent played either of those in a while tho cause i dont own them. But i played the keys on "American Gangster" the title track on Jay Z's album. And on some other stuff too. But i can play much better than you hear on anything i've done so far.

I play sax (mainly alto sax) but lately I have been learning keys and bass guitar. I really dont have a clue how many folks on here are "real musicians" but I always thought that FutureProducers was focused on Producers, not the musicians. In a sense, today's production is now focused on one or two folks banging out hits on a workstation but personally I feel it should a more collective effort. Musicians are the key to this but also a clear direction of what you want the work to be and what you dont want it to be.

Seriously, I can play basic guitar (over a decade messing around)...mainly rhythmn. Played in a couple crappy bands...I get by, but bring in better musicians to complete my visions.

I noodle on the keys, but I wouldn't go so far as claim I;m a keyboardist--or a guitarist for that matter, but I am a musician

I can play stuff on stuff that makes noise :)

seriously I've been playing guitar for a bit, drums for a bit, keys for a bit, sax and trumpet I used to play and could pick up again if I had the time. violin when I was very young and that is still helping to this day. I would love to have a band but haven't been lucky on that front, and I've been djing for 14 years which I'm starting to understand counts a lot...

but let me clarify:
a pianist
a bassist
a saxophonist
a guitarist

I can play piano, organ, guitar, and bass, I've never had training in any of them.

Back