Do you listen to everything through your studio monitors

ndnsoulja

Im about to buy some studio monitors and i was wondering if you guys listen to everything through your studio monitor or does that wear them out? when i say everything i mean like everything you do on ur computer, i.e. listing to music, watching movies, stuff besides producing, basically using them as computer speakers as well?

Im asking so i don't do anything to ruin the monitors i buy.

i pretty much use them for everything personally, but I have found that dedicating one computer to music ONLY is your best bet. I just bought an iMAC after having problems with my pc (which i was using for a variety of things including music)...and i refuse to do ANYTHING on it but music. But more than likely the problems from using it for a variety of things will be related to PC problems rather than monitor problems. Watch your levels and dont blow em...u should be good

monitors are a beast when it comes to what they can handle. and the best way to ckeck how your mix's should sound is other music. i was listening to the new fididdidy cent yesterday thinkin damn that mastering dude took out any and all headroom. it gets you thinkin. and for your ears sake dont turn em up that loud all the time. only when doing an important mix. the speakers may be fine but your ears will feel it.

The best way to keep yourself acquainted with your monitoring chain is to listen to EVERYTHING through them. The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between.

i use mine for everything. listening to music, mixing/tracking, movies, computer stuff. as long as you dont bump anything too hard you're good.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
The best way to keep yourself acquainted with your monitoring chain is to listen to EVERYTHING through them. The good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between.

Nicely put. The more stuff you hear going through your own monitors, the better it will be. It don't matter if its a a track you made, a movie, or a cd. There is no way a certain type of sound can ruin any type of speaker unless you A. play too loud, or B. Play TOO loud out of the monitors frequency range. It also could depend a lot on the monitors you are using. If you use the wrong "monitors" and listen to everything on them and they really dont give you that totally flat sound you want when monitoring music, it could do more bad then good. Not saying that it could damage your speakers in anyway but, For example, say you use cheap monitors that dont have a totally flat response. After you listen to a lot of stuff through them, weather it be music or movies, you will get accustomed to the way you think your tracks should sound. Most likely, if you are watching movies on your computer and the sound is coming out the monitors, the production company that made the movie will have monitors 10 times better then yours and the mix will be perfect on those monitors. so basically, the movie will sound great on ANY speaker you play it on. Now say you imitate that exact sound on your monitors that the movie sounds like, but you are using very cheap ones. It might sound good on those monitors you are using, but on every other type of speaker, it might sound horrible. I'm trying to explain it the best i can but maybe other people can shed some light on this, but what it comes down to is, the more you hear out of your own monitors, the better it will be. Monitors are the most important part of any studio IMO. Do you have any idea on what kind of monitors you would like to get?

Last edited:
I use mine as my regular computer speakers as well as mixing. I know these speakers very well because of it. I still want a pair of HS80s then I can play Diablo 2 on those :D

Back