Do you have tools or instruments?

infradead

Only an industry needs "tools", music and medicine, which are both arts, use "instruments".

If you have "tools" and you do not produce results desired by someone else, you are considered inept or lazy and the fault is yours.

If the "instruments" of surgery fail, the doctor is not blamed IF they did their very best in an uncertain and difficult circumstance. This is more like creating art and composing music.

Up to the point where music became big business, it was not treated as a craft where "results" are expected and predictable. It did not use "tools' to produce these predictable results. (and certainly not "weapons" for an "arsenal" of War)

It used precious "instruments" for a personal journey of discovery and enrichment with an outcome that is unknown. The fact that the destination is unknown, is what makes the journey exciting.

Music is for your personal enrichment, you are not obligated to produce music that anybody else likes, or even recognizes as music (consider the original reaction to "The Rite of Spring").

The attempt to produce art which is "popular" has led to all my artist failures. The Wiard is not intended to be popular. I can accept that you dislike it, but please don't think I'm obligated to produce "tools" for a process that I do NOT want to be industrialized.

-Grant Richter

My modular synth is an instrument. I am always learning how to play it and what can be done on it.

Instruments both for my music and my exploits in wood; I have too many of each and thus pursue very expensive hobbies on my road to enlightenment

Back