Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need to know how to play a instrument to make EDM?

Thanks

Do I really need to know how to play a instrument to make EDM?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I really need to know.

Thanks
    No but knowing how to play an instrument helps in any genre.

My Stone's Throw Beat Battle 414 submission. Check it out!

Thanks
    knowing how to play at least one instrument helps in that you are not struggling to get your ideas solidified in a daw - you know what you want to happen and can translate that into a notation of some form
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Knowing how to play the keyboard certainly won't hurt.
    Chillout from the vibrations of our universe

Thanks
    Just learn the keyboard! Really, your performance and quality will raise!!!

Thanks
    Well it makes recording your midi input easier and faster.Basically learning how to read music and practicing the recognition of notes speed you up a lot.And then it feels more like a videogame if that makes any sense to you, more fun when you can kinda tell what you press before you press.If you can remember what button on a 360 controller does without looking at it, you can do the same with a pianokeyboard

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yousefgunz View Post
    I really need to know.
    No, you don't need to know how to play piano or understand music theory. Sure it helps, but if you're into edm, you probably don't want to worry about putting in multiple hours a day learning how to read music, ear training, or transcription. You just wanna have fun and dick around with effects until you stumble upon something that sounds good to impress your friends, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheaper View Post
    Only on future producers could someone ask about melody and have two posts which don't mention anything about notes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpthrust View Post
    No, you don't need to know how to play piano or understand music theory. Sure it helps, but if you're into edm, you probably don't want to worry about putting in multiple hours a day learning how to read music, ear training, or transcription. You just wanna have fun and dick around with effects until you stumble upon something that sounds good to impress your friends, right?
    Ouch! :O Allthough I most of the time would agree with that, (listening to most electronic music out there today, it seems that's what it's about) I just have to say that electronic music can be just as musical as anything else.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallengard View Post
    Ouch! :O Allthough I most of the time would agree with that, (listening to most electronic music out there today, it seems that's what it's about) I just have to say that electronic music can be just as musical as anything else.
    I agree, but, lets be real here, if you need to ask, "should I learn an instrument to make ___", you didn't have any intent to do so in the first place. Furthermore, EDM as a genre is all about immediate gratification and having fun-thats why most kids are drawn to it in the first place. No one expects for someone into EDM to want to do unfun things like spend a weekend practicing scales and classical pieces. EDM producers with any real musical ability came to it from a different genre.
    Last edited by Pumpthrust; 04-21-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheaper View Post
    Only on future producers could someone ask about melody and have two posts which don't mention anything about notes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpthrust View Post
    I agree, but, lets be real here, if you need to ask, "should I learn an instrument to make ___", you didn't have any intent to do so in the first place. Furthermore, EDM as a genre is all about immediate gratification and having fun-thats why most kids are drawn to it in the first place. No one expects for someone into EDM to want to do unfun things like spend a weekend practicing scales and classical pieces. EDM producers with any real musical ability came to it from a different genre.
    I hear what you're saying. I started making electronic music quite a long time ago, and I have spent countless hours being frustrated and neck deep in tedious tasks and personal challenges. So I would be one of the guys who expect people to do a lot of unfun stuff, unless you are going for that mainstream sound that anyone with half a brain can do. But this is the turn that electronic music has taken lately and we can all just deal with it. Hopefully it gets better again!

Thread Information