difference between quantizing and swing

getsamples

whats going on world im new at this so please bear with me i have an mpd 18 and fl 9on my mpd it has half of it swing and the other half quantize can someone plzz tell me the difference thanks gang:cry:

look up the definitions.

Generally quantisation will quantify the sound however you instruct it and swing is a rhythmic terms which will loosen up the pattern.

quantization is the process of rounding the note to the nearest time value set...1/16 1/8 1/4 1/32 I've been producing for over 4 years and never used swing or know what it does...maybe its time I look it up..lol
but quantize will sometimes give you a computer type of perfect sound that is really.........IDK gay sounding...I dont like it its too perfect for some things

^it can be a little too perfect sometimes lol. I like to also play it a little more live sometimes.

But.. quantizing is a great great tool in general... especially if you have some latency and it causes what you played to be off beat when you do the playback. You can just hit the quantize button and you're good. Also... nobody is perfect, but sometimes you really want things to be on beat.

Swing pretty much adjusts your timescale so that your notes play at a different rhythm. It's like.. imagine having a steady hip-hop beat w/ a sound every 1/4th of a bar. You can apply swing to your session and turn it into a "reggae" type beat.

I hardly ever use swing. If I want something to be in a certain rhythm, i'll just play it that way. But some people love it as a tool, b/c they find great rhythms to their music that they wouldn't have found otherwise. It can definitely liven things up.

Swing can be heard in swing music. The drums are playing 8th notes but there is a lot of swing to the point where some are closer to others.

Quantizing doesn't have to be completely perfect. In most programs you can specify a percentage or "strength" of the quantization - so instead of moving every note to the closest 8th note (for example), you could quantize @ 50% to move them halfway towards the closest 8th. It can also mean applying a "groove pattern" - ie. a rhythm "extracted" from a real drum pattern or a sequenced one, so while quantizing is often thought as a tool that "makes things robotic", it can be a whole lot more. Simply put, it's an useful tool.

Swing in the sequencer world is theoretically a subset of quantization, since it's moving notes around in a predictable pattern (which might sound more "loose" but it's strictly mathematical in fact). 16th note swing just moves every other 16th note forwards by the specified amount, resulting in that shuffle feel.

Quantizing doesn't have to be completely perfect. In most programs you can specify a percentage or "strength" of the quantization - so instead of moving every note to the closest 8th note (for example), you could quantize @ 50% to move them halfway towards the closest 8th. It can also mean applying a "groove pattern" - ie. a rhythm "extracted" from a real drum pattern or a sequenced one, so while quantizing is often thought as a tool that "makes things robotic", it can be a whole lot more. Simply put, it's an useful tool.

Swing in the sequencer world is theoretically a subset of quantization, since it's moving notes around in a predictable pattern (which might sound more "loose" but it's strictly mathematical in fact). 16th note swing just moves every other 16th note forwards by the specified amount, resulting in that shuffle feel.

This ^^ = helpful

Back