Difference between bassline and sub-bass

M

mkamsi

Whats the difference between a bassline and sub bass?
Is it required to add both in a song?
If yes then how?
If not then why?

There are usually one or two differences between a bass and a sub bass. 1) The sub bass can be an octave (or more) below the bass. 2) The sub bass often has fewer harmonics than the bass; for example, it might use a pure sine wave or square wave, while the bass is created around a saw wave and has higher frequencies present. I've heard some tracks where the bass is playing something that's almost an arpeggio right up around C3, while the sub bass is playing a more standard bass part down around C1.

Songs (and tunes) have been around for thousands of years without a sub basss, so no, they're not necessary. But they're used a lot in modern EDM genres.

The simplest way to add a sub bass is to take the bass part, duplicate it, and move the duplicate down an octave. It usually comes out better if you write the sub bass part from scratch or adapt the bass part so that it doesn't simply play the same notes as the bass, depending on the genre. For example, in old-school 80s trance you can just have the sub play the same note as the bass on the first and third beats of the bar, but not play the other notes. This can work well whether it's a straight base (beats 1 and 3) or a 'Melbourne' style bouncing bass (beats 2 and 4).

There are usually one or two differences between a bass and a sub bass. 1) The sub bass can be an octave (or more) below the bass. 2) The sub bass often has fewer harmonics than the bass; for example, it might use a pure sine wave or square wave, while the bass is created around a saw wave and has higher frequencies present. I've heard some tracks where the bass is playing something that's almost an arpeggio right up around C3, while the sub bass is playing a more standard bass part down around C1.

Songs (and tunes) have been around for thousands of years without a sub basss, so no, they're not necessary. But they're used a lot in modern EDM genres.

The simplest way to add a sub bass is to take the bass part, duplicate it, and move the duplicate down an octave. It usually comes out better if you write the sub bass part from scratch or adapt the bass part so that it doesn't simply play the same notes as the bass, depending on the genre. For example, in old-school 80s trance you can just have the sub play the same note as the bass on the first and third beats of the bar, but not play the other notes. This can work well whether it's a straight base (beats 1 and 3) or a 'Melbourne' style bouncing bass (beats 2 and 4).

I must say that is clear and to the point explanation.
Thanx a lot bro

Dimension X nailed it.

If you held a gun to my head and said to describe it in one sentence I would say the difference is you can hear bass on your tiny phones speakers but not sub bass.

I must say that is clear and to the point explanation.
Thanx a lot bro

You're welcome. DimensionX added the bit I left out. You can usually hear the bass as it has some mid and high frequencies in it. The sub bass doesn't have so many but can shake your walls.

Back