Did I choose the right software & hardware + few questions

AnnaKl

Hi,

my name is Anna and I have just finished my university degree and finally want to start producing music (I wanted to do so since my childhood but never had time and money)

I already have read a lot through about all available tools. And wow it is a lot!

Anyway. Right now I have decided to go for Ableton Live Suit (since I still get student discount) and likely Ableton Push 2

But google could not help answering one simple question:

1. Is this setup the right one for producing electronic music?

I have a particular style I want to reach: YouTube

2. I am really wondering if I put my money best with that setup?

Because as far I have figure out Ishome for example only uses a Korg NanoController :D which I could get used for 20$

I really would appreciate some competent answers which pushes me in the right direction!

I am not even sure if this here is a nice communities I can go for to get friendly answers for newbies or if this is for more advanced ones?

Last but not least:
I have studied all tracks from Ishome and I noticed that she often uses the same/similar sound snippets (i dont even know yet if this is the right term)

3. Where would I get also such sound snippets?
4. Can I create something like the wind instrument here with ableton live YouTube or do I need some more software tools and if so, which?
5. Where do I get usually vocals from like this: YouTube or this YouTube

I would appreciate a lot if you would answer these 5 questions.

Ty

Last edited:
Good day Anna,

I can associate exactly with what you are going through. I went through the exact same route! I am just a couple of years ahead of you. So, let me attempt to answer some of your questions.

Firstly, regarding the software. Choose the one which comes naturally to you. Download the trial versions of the DAW’s you are considering and try them out for a DECENT while. Do not be overly eager and please do not be convinced by some Youtuber’s opinion. As an example, consider Voxengo SPAN, it is a VST Plugin which can be installed in any DAW (Alberton, FL Studio,….) just like almost all the VST’s out there. The point I am trying to make is that all of the DAW’s out there roughly do the same thing and use the same VST's with very little deviation, so choose the one you like. Additionally, the style of music you make is not controlled/governed by the DAW, that is entirely on you.

Secondly, let's talk about the controller. I regretfully bought a keyboard with a beat pad, nicely collecting dust because I too am now using a KORG nano (severe lack of desk space:)). The controller is completely dependent on what you are planning to use it for (performing live / production / …).

I heard a lot of dronal and ambient synth sounds combined with a relatively simple (and hugely effective) drum pattern with a BPM between 100 and 124. The instrument you pointed out, sounds like something which can be obtained from the brass section (Search DSK-Brass for a free VST). Add EQ and a decent reverb, then you will probably have something similar. The ambient synth and dronal sounds can be found in the PAD section of most synthesizers. For some inspiration, you could listen to Marek Hemmann ~ You Know (HUGE fan here). Completely different sound I know, but listen to the mostly kick-snare-kick-snare drum patterns combined with dronal and ambient synth sounds. I know it is dependent on your style, consider using the choir section and string section for some additional emotion.

The vocals used are so heavily processed, you can probably record any person and remake that sound. Search for someone on Fiverr. You can correct the pitch, again add a decent reverb and EQ (Remember delay). Try singing it yourself? If you fail at least you know what to look for in someone else. Lastly, do some vocal chopping.

I really hope this helped you.

Kind regards

TS

Hi TiernoSoldado,

wow your answer is incredibly helpful to give me a direction where I have to look and what to try to reach my destination.

I have already tried some DAW's the last days and the most intuitive for me where FL Studio, Studio One and Ableton.

Ableton then convinced me since it looked to me it is the most developed one and has the biggest community which could be beneficial in the end. Anyway, I have alread bought Ableton Studio and I like the UI very much.

Very interesting that you also use the Korg Nano :) I am really struggling with all these controllers out there. And only from pictures the Nano look so much smaller than the Push 2 that I am really wondering how much more sophisticated the Push 2 would be.

Checking youtube it looks to me that -when I have fully understood push 2- it improves the workflow by a lot.

Your technical suggestions about how to achieve which effect is very valueable to me. I'll check out each as soon as I have the Push :)

Or would you strongly recommend to not go for the push and instead go for the nano controller?

Ty

Last edited:
I am glad it helped,

The most important thing in music is that you like and enjoy what you are doing. If you use a controller you like the look and feel of, that will be translated to the music. I will recommend attempting to use the stuff you have before buying anything.

The controller is a difficult one. For some people it is life-changing and for others not. I use my controller literally just while attempting to generate some form or pattern/sequence I like. I then use the DAW to recreate it. I am of the opinion that it is better to firstly master(roughly) the sound on the DAW, then play it on the controller. Let me just explain that by the hand of an example. Let’s consider the sound you pointed out. If you were to recreate something similar, the first thing to do is choose some VST with a descent brass section. Then adapt the sound with some EQ and effects to your liking. When that is done, you’ll pay it on the controller. Please do not over complicate that part. (For myself, the work in the DAW is more important than the work on the controller. DAW= the cake; Controller = icing)

If I am understanding you correctly the sophistication of the controller refers to the set of features included with the controller? Regarding that, I view it as money in the bank. It is better to have than not.:p

Again not a clear answer from me, hopefully another view which could help you in your decision.

Kind regards,

TS

Back