Creating melodies, do I need a keyboard?

uheclipse

I'm getting into scales and chords but it is ****ing hard to play the proper notes on my computer keyboard. The only other way to use the proper keys and scales for me is by clicking them into the piano roll. Is there an easier way to use my computer keyboard?

Should I just go ahead and buy a midi keyboard? I was planning on saving up and buying a nice one but i think I might as well just buy a decent one for less.

get a midi keyboard controller - you will be thanking yourself for years to come..... - also get the best that you can possibly afford, cheap is cheap and will break over time

Abso-dudeli-utely you should get a midi keyboard! There are no downsides having one compared to clicking your way forward or hitting your computer keyboard.

Sometimes I think that when you do all with the mouse. The creation seems more more valuable because you put more time into perfecting your beats. but i use what ever i feel at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I think that when you do all with the mouse. The creation seems more more valuable because you put more time into perfecting your beats. but i use what ever i feel at the moment
tbh i think clicking in your whole beat is boring and uninspiring. i mean whats the fun of just clicking notes in the piano roll? id rather play them out, even if i only have my computer keyboard.btw thanks guys i just ordered a m audio 49 keyboard

If you are having trouble writing melodies, especially if you are not a experienced piano player, you should definitely check out the VST Cthulhu. It basically allows you to play chords pressing one note on the key board with many different presets of chords. Its a trick many producers including deadmau5 use.

Also, buying a midi keyboard that can transpose notes will allow you to play in different musical keys while only using white keys in Cmajor to make things simpler to unexperienced piano players. This is something that Madeon and Porter Robinson have admitted to using.

Hope this helps!

Well you definitely don't need a midi piano just to get good chords/scales(especially if you don't even know how to play a piano).I used the keyboard for about 3-4 years before getting a piano.Even though I don't know how to play fully,It's still way funner than using the keyboard...and just cause it's cheap doesn't mean anything I got a Alesis midi piano for $50 and it works just fine if you don't have big money don't worry about getting the best of the best.

A MIDI controller/keyboard makes life much easier. It's not essential, but pretty darn close to it. :)

When I shopped for one, one of my problems was choosing the right size. Common are 25, 32, 49, 61 and 88 keys. 88 is full piano size and huge, so this is probably only for people who know what they get. 61 is still huge and probably more than what most hobby producers need, but it's often recommended. A 49 full-size key one was bigger than I thought, but it is a happy compromise between size and number of keys (four octaves without needing to slide them up or down). 49 is also the smallest size that I feel you can comfortably play on with two hands, if you opt for learning some keyboarding. It's not difficult.

Personally, though, I felt it (M-Audio Keystation 49es) was too bulky for what I wanted it for, so I ended up buying a M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32, which isn't the cheapest model, but it had everything I wanted and was still affordable (around $100/€80). It's great for what I do with it (punch in notes, emulate a kalimba, etc.), and its size is perfect to sit next to a laptop. Also very portable, unlike my 49 keys one.

Read reviews before you buy something. It's better to spend a few extra bucks than buying something twice. (Like I did because I didn't realize how large a 49 keys controller is!)

If you don't have much to spend, you can probably find something dirt cheap on your local craigslist. That's what I did and it definitely beats not having one at all.

Back