Creating Hip Hop Music on the Computer

I

Iceberg

I know I causes some forum problems with my many "one subject hip hop questions" but I have changed my ways starting with this thread. PLEASE FORGIVE ME! (SOBBING)

I have all the basic information on how to create Hip Hop Music with hardware but recently I was wondering if it would be easier and more affordable to create hip hop music on the computer with computer software.

I working with a E machine moniter, and a new Hewlett Packard HP Pavition 6735 PC. I want to have software to create the hip hop beats from the ryhthm tracks to the added sound effects,in any shape or form I can. Add my lyrics and put this all on a CD. My budget is $500. I've consider ACID Hip Hop 2.0 but I don't know.

Hi Iceberg!! :):)

no problem for the problems in the forums, its the past! as long as you remember what peopel told you it's cool ;)

ok as for what you are asking: you should get the demo of REASON 1.0 at the propperlehead site.

REASON is a great program. it is quite complex, but you will be able to compose about any genre of music with it. You can sample classical music, loop this sample in the sampler, and then add some basses on the top with the SUBTRACTOR synth, and then compose your oown drumbeats with the REDRUM drum machine (you can even import custom WAV files for each percussion!).

The program has its own little sequencer so you dont need any other software to make music.

doesnt this sound good? it is the best way to start making music without spending too much money at first.

By the way, th edemo is OK but it doesnt let you save or export yoru song and you have to restart the program every 20 minutes. Get the free demo, see if you like it, and the buy the box version (full). it is worth the price.

you will COMPOSE music.. in ACID you DON'T compose, you just put together WAV files.. not as good.

Have fun!!

and hey.. pelase hit "POST REPLY" to talk more about this, dont post a new thread ;)

take care!

[Edited by ManoOne on 01-27-2001 at 01:02 PM]

I'm impressed with its featuresm and would likw to know how much it hit for.

I've got 2 admit i didn't think it I would go the computer route and I'm comparing hardware to software. U said in the over veiw that you need a midi keyboard and I was wondering could I use my Yamha DJX keyboard I use my freestyle.

While I was waiting for U to reply I was looking in the composing forum and I person asked what do U need to start a basic home studio. Somebody replied and said U basicly need the following: sequencer, a master keyboard, sampler, syths, drum machine,some sort of recoder ( for me a 4-track), mixer, and effects. I know U answered this for me before but I would like to know what all these can do for me INVOLING HIP HOP MUSIC. In other words how do I use these to create strictly HIP HOP music. I want to create a "Cash Money sound" but also create a club bouning sound on certain beats. I also want to insert sound effects that dealling with the song. For example if I'm rapping about the poloce I want serins in the background. I know this is alot to write about but I plan to buy to equipment one at a time. Right now I'm starting with $500
and want something to start me out with making the beats and recording.

for something cheaper (i think?) the d-lusion drumstation is a good buy...i made a really phat hiphop beat on it....

haha ;) Iceberg that could have been one of mine post i was talking about making a full hardware studio lol

u can get lots of good stuff 2nd hand, i'd recommend this.

keep the DJX u can use that as ur Master keyboard.
If u don't want to use reason u could do this:

U will need a software squencer, try Cubasis VST or Cakewalk Home studio, these will be good enough for u to learn on.
Audio editor ie try cooledit this very u can edit samples and FX downloaded from the net and put them in ur songs.
SO there's about $200 gone, also since ur in school u get discounts so use them.
Right what next, a mixer try something small, a 6 channel one, u'll need a mic too.
Right sounds? this is difficult, i not sure what to say here

yeah.. dlusion drumstation.. well

I'll stay with what I said at first.. If iceberg buys Reason, he will have a sequencer built-in, plus all ther other toppings,a nd will not be limited to drumbeats (drumstation IS limited to drum beats) and will be able to compose complex melodies and add effects on the fly.

Furthermore, iceberg can use his MIDI keyboard as a controller to play all the samples and sounds in realtime with the keys (not using the yamaha's sounds, but reason's sounds).

I think it would be great. Go get the demo for now, and see if you like it. The full version is not that expensive. I think you would be confused if you start going into cubase and external midi devices.

Also, you cna quickly export your whole song as an audio file and put it on CD or send it to your friends.. neat.

I am usually a huge defender of hardware, but i have the feeling that Reason can be used to compose great hiphop. For a beginner this is quite a dream.

Thanx 4 all your help. This is one of the few forums that reply back. Any ways I'm about 2 give you my sitution 2 help U better understand.

I'm a 13 year old rapper/trying 2 be a DJ. I've always wrote down lyrics and free styled but never put down real tracks. This past Christmas I went looking for a keyboard to create hip hop beats. I ran into the Yamaha DJX craze in which I thought it was perfect 4 me. It still is but I want more in which to be the producer and make the beats to rhyme over. I then began my jorney into the REAL music equipment such as Drum Machines, SAmplers, etc.

My goal is to create my own Hip Hop studio in my basement or on the computer, for me to create beats, from the ryhthm track to the added sound effects, rap over it and create demos to sell and get my name out. I also want 2 create a DJ system to also create mix tapes.

My question 2 U is want do I need in terms of hardware to create a BASIC Hip Hop studio, like keyboards, sequencers, samplers,etc and how do they work 4 Hip Hop production. I want a Mannie Fresh from CASH MONEY Records sound, a Timberland sound, or a Neptunes sound at a affordable price. I plan on getting started in April on my birthday and has $500 to spend.

And 2 end this long reply I'm definnty getting Reason but I want 2 compare it with hardware first. Thanx 4 all your help and hopefully in 5 years tops U'll C me on BET, MTV and any other channels.

Iceberg said:
My question 2 U is want do I need in terms of hardware to create a BASIC Hip Hop studio, like keyboards, sequencers, samplers,etc and how do they work 4 Hip Hop production. I want a Mannie Fresh from CASH MONEY Records sound, a Timberland sound, or a Neptunes sound at a affordable price. I plan on getting started in April on my birthday and has $500 to spend.
And 2 end this long reply I'm definnty getting Reason but I want 2 compare it with hardware first.

man... ok..

I ALREADY replied to this question in several of your past threads.. Seriously man, please read the past threads... I remember giving you exact prices and advices.. I told you about the great KORG ELECTRIBE S, which is a drumbox with sampling capabilities (meaning you are not limited by the factory sounds and can create drum beats recording drums you want).

Anyway.. I am quickly repeating some LONG posts I did to help you out a while ago.. So as for comparing hardware vs. Reason, just compare the past help you got, and the help here

by the way, last night, I tried Reason a bit more, and hooked my keyboard controller to it, after tweaking the Audio Driver settings a bit, I got some GREAT results. This is a great software, I realize it more and more.

BUT hey.. you will have to learn a LOT in order to understand Reason, just as much as if you bought hardware (i mention this before you get frustrated opening the program).

take care

Thanx Mano One!

Hopefully in April I'll be opening that new Reason.

But I still may need to compare hardware. The Reason seems better because if I get hardware I may have to start with machines like the Dr. Groove and the Dr. Sample. I know their weak but man that's my budget. Anyways I'm done with the Hip Hop beats questions and I'm ready to start asking questions about my DJ career.

Oh yeah one more question, can I rap over the beats ANY KIND OF WAY on Reason and make a CD. Holla Back.

wait a minute... the Dr stuff is NOT GOOD man.. really. You just like the name or what?

you said you have 500USD, the KORG ELECTRIBE S IS 499USD! that's your budget.

also Reason is LESS than 500USD!

Also.. you can open Reason NOW!
Download the TRIAL/DEMO version man!
You dont have to wait to try it. But you cant record in the demo.

See man I am trying to help but it's hard because you dont seem to read everything people tell you. Just remember that peopel here know all this stuff, and that they are trying to help you, sharing the knowledge and experience.

Anyway.. As for your last question: you have to first compose the instrumental of your song (no vocal) in reason, then you have to export a WAV of this music, but adding voice over your music is a bit more complicated.. You can start a new thread for this WHEN YOU HAVE TO DO IT (not now.. you have already a lot of questions opened).

Sorry about all the confusion man. Its that I don't want to make another mistake like I did with the Yamaha DJX (long story). The other reason I name the Boss machines is because I've chated with other people who has said they could work.

Any ways I went 2 the mars music web site
( my local music store) and checked out the korg machine.
So I create Hip Hop beats on this.

Sorry about the primitave questions.

ade said:
keep the DJX u can use that as ur Master keyboard.
I did say keep the DJX as the master

Hey Mano i am not too familar with Reason, so don't be too hard on me, i was only suggesting alternative things for Iceberg than Reason. ie many paths to reach one destination

The UK price is a lots for Reason approx $600, thats why i recommend alternatives ;)

i gotta try this reason.....i wanna see if its as good as u say it is....$600? drumstation has only drumbeats but costs less than 10 times the cost of that........

It's $ 399 USD.

You know, I am surprised myself...

Today I played a bit with the demo, and plugged my MIDI controller to it.. And after a few minutes, I made a church organ sound, using the SUBTRACTOR synthesizer.. I thought it was limited to "bass" sounds, but I was wrong.. it actually sounds pretty decent, and best of all, I got a very short latency delay (20 milliseconds or so). I still prefer my VIRUS B sound, but hey for a soft synth it's very good.

Anyway, long story short, I do like the program a lot. I dont think I will use it much in my music, but for someone who starts, it is a DREAM! If I had this a few years ago, I would have been crazy about it.

[Edited by ManoOne on 01-28-2001 at 05:54 PM]

yes so u should be but thats the UK for u, ie £1 = $1.4
Stupid me the UK price is £299 and not £399 as i thought

anyway its still $50 more here for no known reason :mad:

mmhh that's weird.. you can buy it in USD on their site man, so it's the same price everywhere. they'll ship it to you

these money conversions can be confusing
;)

I've been playing with Reason for about two weeks now and at first I was sorta skeptical, then after reading the manuals it has and learning how to use some of the hardware that it provides (which all almost work exactly like most hardware pieces do) I must say, even if you are thinking/planning on getting hardware get Reason first, espescially if you already have a keyboard that you can use for midi input.

If nothing else it is less than the cost of a low end sampler and it will teach you everything you need to know about the hardware counterparts of the program.

I too am planning on getting a yamaha A5000, and a novation supernova II, but until i can save up the $6000 these pieces will cost me I will be happily using reason and getting near professional results out of it, which for what it sounds like, this is more than you will need for quite some time.

/.v

Back