"Crackling sound during playback in DAW"

3lackrose

Progressing Apprentice
Hello, i'm new to this forum and i would make a decent presentation but i didnt find any Greetins section or such so far. I'm not even sure if this is the suited area to open this thread, but anyway..

I used to write music in Midi Editors during 90's, and used Guitar Pro 5 for some years until i decided to make a great step and improvement in terms of sounds and started to "work" on DAW not much time months ago, and i have a lot to learn obviously.

Even if i don't have mastered what my DAW can do, i started to work on some pieces and eventually encountered some issues.

There is this "crackling" sound that occurs when i use some strings soundfonts, more specifically when start to play too many of them. The Cpu Usage display doesn't show any overwork, and the song playback doesn't seem to slowdown, and even if i turn down the volume of those soundfonts it still crackles in the same way.

It could be my laptop not being enough powerful to support multiple soundfont sampling/playback, or some clipping stuff but maybe someone can help me out to identify what is the source of this issue.

You need to incresses your audio buffer, you might be able to do it within the software or your sound cards controll panel. You didn't really give much nfo on what your using so thats the best advice I can give you.

If your using a stock sound card using ASIO4All drivers would help ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver

hello, thanks for the fast reply! i've already tried to increase the buffer (you mean the buffer lenght?) but no matter how much i tweak there, it doenst change anything :\ i'm using a focusrite Sapphire as audio card, and FL studio as DAW anyways.

EDIT: Seems like it is a specific issue that occurs when multiple istances of the soundfont player are used, i'm doing some research at the moment to solve it. Thanks all.

Re EDIT: Apparently seems like that if you turn off a "multiprocessing feature" on your DAW settings fixes this kind of problem. I'm not sure what it does exactly, but as long as it sounds all fine t guess it's ok.

Last edited:
hello, thanks for the fast reply! i've already tried to increase the buffer (you mean the buffer lenght?) but no matter how much i tweak there, it doenst change anything :\ i'm using a focusrite Sapphire as audio card, and FL studio as DAW anyways.

EDIT: Seems like it is a specific issue that occurs when multiple istances of the soundfont player are used, i'm doing some research at the moment to solve it. Thanks all.

Re EDIT: Apparently seems like that if you turn off a "multiprocessing feature" on your DAW settings fixes this kind of problem. I'm not sure what it does exactly, but as long as it sounds all fine t guess it's ok.

Yeah there are some of the older machines that use pseudo multi-processing in their cpus (P4 hyper-threaded) - they don't play so nice and you have to turn the feature off. I also had a similar problem with a Core 2 Duo with Cubase 5.5.2 and had to set prefs so that only cpu was used for processing and one was used for system related activities otherwise it was crap all the way.

Good luck with it.

I've also noticed whenever you export the beat, the crackling and popping aren't in the actual .mp3 .. it's just that your D.A.W is eating up too much CPU

Back