Copywriting Beats

Chi2OK

Hey all,
I am relatively new to the business side of producing. I have been involved in music for a few years, but just now am deciding to make some money out of it. I have been selling some beats to local artists and friends for $30-$50, but can't you charge more for your beats if they are copywrited? Can you copywrite them? How do you go about it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MT

Once your work is in fixed form, you have a copyright in it.
Registering your copyright with the US Copyright Office provides certain legal benefits in the even of a copyright infringement lawsuit, but it is not necessary or required - your copyright is automatic once you create something in a fixed form.

Songregistration.com - It's legit, as far as it does exactly what it says it does. Helpful though? I don't see how, and none of the testimonials are from anyone who has actually USED the service in court.

There is some misleading info in the FAQ's too... One answer suggests that it's fine and dandy to register through their site first, and if a copyright infringement lawsuit becomes likely, then register with the US Copyright Office (again, a prerequisite for protecting your copyright in court). Problem with that is, in some cases, waiting until you file for a lawsuit to register with the US Copyright Office will effect what remedies you have available.

They also suggest that registering with the US Copyright Office offers no evidentiary benefits. Wrong. Any registration made within 5 years of publication is prima facie evidence that you are the owner of the copyright. That means that you do not have to prove that you made it, it's a given. If the defendant wants to argue that you're not the creator, the burden is on THEM. And how likely will they be able to prove something if it's not true?

Back