conecting stereo outs to soundcard?

T

the80sboy

I recently accquired a Virus A synth. This is my first piece of hardware so I'm clueless. I see stereo audio outs from the Virus; but how can I record in stereo using my sound blaster live platinum? Does this require a mixer? And if so; where do I plug the mixer in to on the sound card; the Line in 2/ mic?
Any suggestions or recomendations would be great! Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Soundblaster Platinum, but you'll definitely want to plug it into the line input. If the input is labeled mic, there is usually a gain boost associated with it. If line and mic are the same slot there is usually a box you need to toggle in the software to differentiate between the two.

Just remember for synths you want to go line input. You'll need a mixer if you plan on hooking up more than 1 synth. Honestly if you want to get pro sound you'll need a better soundcard. Look into the Delta 44 by M-Audio. It has 4 ins and 4 outs. (2 stereo ins, 2 stereo outs) You can get one brand new for about $240 and it offers great sound for the money. I started with one and got really good results. My only complaint about the card is that it colors the sound of what you're recording slightly. This can be fixed with proper EQ.

this is a question about connectivity right?

if i'm not mistaken, the inputs on the soundblaster live platinum are 1/4" (small) stereo jacks, so you will have to find a cable with 2 large mono jacks on the one end (for the virus L/R outs) and 1 small stereo jack on the other; might be hard to find; easier to find is a cable with L/R hi-fi plugs (white/red) on the one end and stereo mini jack on the other (see pic), there are adapters available from hi-fi plug to large jack that fit the white and red plugs, so they connect to the jack outputs of the virus.

rkg128.jpg

Thanks to you both! Just the info I needed.:D
I just looked at the cables from the Musician's Friend website and found this:
339009.t.jpg

Looks like I'll connect the audio jacks to the Virus; then connect RCA to the SPIDIF IN. I may end up getting a different sound card later on; just wanted to get things going first.

Last edited by a moderator:
the80sboy said:

Looks like I'll connect the audio jacks to the Virus; then connect RCA to the SPIDIF IN. I may end up getting a different sound card later on; just wanted to get things going first.

umm....no. the virus outputs are analogue. SPDIF is digital. this will not work. do as tripton says, buy a 2xmono jack to 1xstereo minijack lead and you'll be sorted.

Cool; thanks for setting me straight!
Something like: Stereo Y-cable Mini Male-Two QTR Mono Males

333053.t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back