Which computer to get?

J Son

Sup guys? What type of computer should i get if i plan on making music, and creating beats? I'll be buying a FAST computer..Is a laptop a good choice? Are there requirements i should seek?

Please be informative.

EDIT:
Willin to spend around 500..600 at most.

Last edited:
Dang, can't believe i forgot to include that in my original post.

Well around 500, or 600 at most.

im not really a computer tech typa dude. But make sure you have alot of Ram. Laptops are good, if you plan to be moving around alot. I dont use laptops anymore for my music, i have a custom built desktop that i invested about 1500 into it. That wasnt my first one though, my first computer was a 400 dollar dell desktop that worked great for my music, until i stepped my game up and bought more equipment. Then that poor dell couldnt hold up anymore! But do you plan on getting anything else? like midi keys? or do you have that stuff? If you have to get everything on 500 the budget will be tight!

I'd recommend getting a custom built desktop. You'll get more bang for your buck that way. And it will be fully upgradable.

Stay away from laptops in that price range. Definitely look into building your own pc.

Don't buy a laptop based on wank factor bullshit like portability if you are not likely to use it that way, because once you connect a whole bunch of external shit to your laptop any idea of moving it around will just die in the ass and you will end up using it like a desktop without the benefit of power and expandability.

Desktops just shit on laptops for studio use, faster processors, loads more memory and you can easily install additional hard drives dedicated to audio and sample streaming, expansion slots so you can install cards (audio interfaces, graphics etc) you can put huge windmills and heatsinks in them to make them quiet and if you find you do need a bit of wank factor bullshit you can always add blue neon lights to them.

Exactly! After you set up its not really portable. Unless your rocking it all in a case but even then you can put a desktop in a case. Even a mac mini would be a better solution.

Exactly! After you set up its not really portable. Unless your rocking it all in a case but even then you can put a desktop in a case. Even a mac mini would be a better solution.

Even without the need for components to work efficiently from battery power Apple's more affordable machines are similar to laptops in the way they are designed, the Mac Mini has a slow hard drive and the graphics will rob system memory.

All in one systems are IMHO less than ideal because a non-modular design makes them like laptops in terms of expandability, for example if you want to increase your track count buy adding a hard drive dedicated to audio you would have to connect it using what could be your computers only firewire port and as far as I know you can't daisy chain firewire hard drives and audio interfaces leaving USB as your only option, with a modular desktop you can add a few hard drives and use firewire, USB and PCI to connect an audio interface. Laptops and all-in-one computers are OK for the way most people use computers but for what we do they are a bit of a shit idea.

Ahh i see, desktop it is. How much ram would you guys suggest i have atleast?

I intend on purchasing the following items listed below

Midi keyboard
Microphone
Pre Amp
Interface..
Studio Monitors

That's essentially it, I'm sure i should be able to purchase something that can get the job done in the 500-600 price range. So my primary question is, how much ram would you guys suggest i have? 600 isn't EXACTLY the most i CAN spend, just the most I'd LIKE to spend..

Get at least 4gb of ram. You can add to that later on if you need to.
For your budget, I'd recommend going with Intel core i5 (quad-core ones) as your processor. Maybe ASUS P7P55D-E for the motherboard. 1tb hard drive, if you can afford get two. Average priced video card, you won't need something that is meant for gaming. And a power supply with enough output for your system (don't go super cheap if you want it to last).

And of course, you'll need a case and a monitor.

There are probably members on the boards who know a lot more about these things than I do and could give more insight on this.

Ahh i see, desktop it is. How much ram would you guys suggest i have atleast?

I intend on purchasing the following items listed below

Midi keyboard
Microphone
Pre Amp
Interface..
Studio Monitors

That's essentially it, I'm sure i should be able to purchase something that can get the job done in the 500-600 price range. So my primary question is, how much ram would you guys suggest i have? 600 isn't EXACTLY the most i CAN spend, just the most I'd LIKE to spend..

for 600 I 'd look into building your own pc, you'll get far more for you money as well. 4 gb of ram min but 8 would be ideal.

Back