Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which computer to get?

Thanks

Which computer to get?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Sup guys? What type of computer should i get if i plan on making music, and creating beats? I'll be buying a FAST computer..Is a laptop a good choice? Are there requirements i should seek?

Please be informative.

EDIT:
    Willin to spend around 500..600 at most.
    Last edited by J Son; 06-11-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: cuz i can *****

Thanks
    it all depends on how much you have to spend?
    SEL MORE BEATS >>>>> ProducerOnFire.com

Thanks
    Dang, can't believe i forgot to include that in my original post.

Well around 500, or 600 at most.

Thanks
    im not really a computer tech typa dude. But make sure you have alot of Ram. Laptops are good, if you plan to be moving around alot. I dont use laptops anymore for my music, i have a custom built desktop that i invested about 1500 into it. That wasnt my first one though, my first computer was a 400 dollar dell desktop that worked great for my music, until i stepped my game up and bought more equipment. Then that poor dell couldnt hold up anymore! But do you plan on getting anything else? like midi keys? or do you have that stuff? If you have to get everything on 500 the budget will be tight!

Thanks
    I'd recommend getting a custom built desktop. You'll get more bang for your buck that way. And it will be fully upgradable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jyri View Post
    i'd recommend getting a custom built desktop. You'll get more bang for your buck that way. And it will be fully upgradable.

true!!!!

Thanks
    Stay away from laptops in that price range. Definitely look into building your own pc.

Thanks
    Don't buy a laptop based on wank factor bullshit like portability if you are not likely to use it that way, because once you connect a whole bunch of external shit to your laptop any idea of moving it around will just die in the ass and you will end up using it like a desktop without the benefit of power and expandability.

Desktops just shit on laptops for studio use, faster processors, loads more memory and you can easily install additional hard drives dedicated to audio and sample streaming, expansion slots so you can install cards (audio interfaces, graphics etc) you can put huge windmills and heatsinks in them to make them quiet and if you find you do need a bit of wank factor bullshit you can always add blue neon lights to them.

Thanks
    Exactly! After you set up its not really portable. Unless your rocking it all in a case but even then you can put a desktop in a case. Even a mac mini would be a better solution.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
    Exactly! After you set up its not really portable. Unless your rocking it all in a case but even then you can put a desktop in a case. Even a mac mini would be a better solution.
    Even without the need for components to work efficiently from battery power Apple's more affordable machines are similar to laptops in the way they are designed, the Mac Mini has a slow hard drive and the graphics will rob system memory.

All in one systems are IMHO less than ideal because a non-modular design makes them like laptops in terms of expandability, for example if you want to increase your track count buy adding a hard drive dedicated to audio you would have to connect it using what could be your computers only firewire port and as far as I know you can't daisy chain firewire hard drives and audio interfaces leaving USB as your only option, with a modular desktop you can add a few hard drives and use firewire, USB and PCI to connect an audio interface. Laptops and all-in-one computers are OK for the way most people use computers but for what we do they are a bit of a shit idea.

Thread Information