Compression Tips

D

dj ali haeri

I know, I know, 'not another post about compression', but I really need all your help on this one. I recently finished a track, and I compressed specific parts, like the drum track, and bassline, and then ran everything into another compressor. I'm using Wave's RCL (Renaissance Compressor --DX Plugin). Anyways, everything sounds right for once. Everything is equal, in place, not bleeding, and not 'upstaging' any other part of the song, the bassline is clean and heard, it bumps loud, and doesnt crack, bleed, or any other screwed up sound on 'lesser' speakers like computer monitors, or on a low volume. Is this right? Have I finally compressed a song near-perfectly (at least)? I just wanted to know what are some good signs/tips to know whether you got a completely compressed song. I'll try to put up a link of the song within the next couple of days to give you guys a good idea of what I did. Thanks a lot. -Ali

Do you think the compression does the trick?
Does your mother say that the bass is too forward?
The reason that I ask is thus:
If the people listening to your music do so without mentioning something being too offensive or distant then you can usually assume that your compression is succesful. Look for peaks and listen for drop-outs. None? Good - you have succeeded.

In addition: Listen to a track that you think was compressed well. Does yours sound of a similar quality? This is a good comparison method and if you are happy, then you have passed test one. Test two is pleasing your audience.

Stmoo

Ahh! makes a LOT of sense. So far no one has been complaining. Cheers, mate! -Ali

Back