Complete Beginner

ArtaxiasNegus

Hey all, I'm pursuing a career in professional audio production and/or engineering and I'm currently in college majoring in music. I have tested the trial/demo versions of a few DAWs (FL, Ableton, Cubase) and a friend has the full Logic Pro X that I occasionally mess around with. I understand the huge debate regarding which DAW to use, but after plenty of research I've learned several things; Ableton has a problem called 'plugin delay compensation', Logic only supports AU and no VST plugins, and that Cubase has some crash problems (especially on Mac).

I DO plan on purchasing Pro Tools after I graduate in a year or two and have a decent budget since it seems to be the best for post-production and is the industry standard.

1. Which DAW (Ableton, Cubase, or Logic) would you recommend I start with for editing, recording, mixing, and mastering?
2. MAC or PC?

Thanks in advance!

They're all equally full fledged DAWs. It's more of a matter of deciding which workflow you like and learning your DAW in and out. And that's something that takes time.

I use FL, but I can't say any one daw is better than the other.

Fasho, I tend to work more efficiently on linear designed DAWs so I'll just keep exploring them and see which one feels the best for me. Right on!

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm pursuing a career in professional audio production and/or engineering and I'm currently in college majoring in music. I have tested the trial/demo versions of a few DAWs (FL, Ableton, Cubase) and a friend has the full Logic Pro X that I occasionally mess around with. I understand the huge debate regarding which DAW to use, but after plenty of research I've learned several things; Ableton has a problem called 'plugin delay compensation', Logic only supports AU and no VST plugins, and that Cubase has some crash problems (especially on Mac).

I DO plan on purchasing Pro Tools after I graduate in a year or two and have a decent budget since it seems to be the best for post-production and is the industry standard.

1. Which DAW (Ableton, Cubase, or Logic) would you recommend I start with for editing, recording, mixing, and mastering?
2. MAC or PC?

Thanks in advance!

1. Studio One or Reaper.
2. Whatever you're used to. Audio Interface plays a huge role for stability too, no matter the OS :)

Cheers

Personally I bought and sold so many laptops and computers and at the end I chose mac because in order to have a PC function to its fullest capabilities you have to tweak it everytime you start it up like turning certain programs off etc where as mac everything is setup for you, which is limiting but not in anyways I have come across and Im doing both gaming and audio, plus ive dropped my mac and spilt all kinds of stuff on it and it still functions!! a plastic pc laptop would be another story..

And for choosing your DAW (after personal experience of trying them all) I choose ableton because it is so well laid out for great work flow, most other daws have a lot of sub folders and sub windows to (once again) setup just to get to the music), the PDC you speak of is actually being fixed in the current update of ableton. It's a slowly updated program and though many will tell you they don't update at all.

The biggest part of ableton suite is all the included packs and Max4Live which gives you an EPIC arsenal of tools including an amazing convolution reverb.

I wish you the best, I can't believe im on this side helping you but keep at it, you may get overwhelmed by how much information you take in and it's okay to take a break to give yourself room to breathe. Be careful about depending on others for their knowledge because their knowledge is based on their experience and what equipment they have (nevermind the patience some have and some do not to REALLY understand their tools and thus what their talking about). Being on a forum is a great idea and Im actually on 8 of them and post the same thing across them cause I get different answers on each one.

Don't take yourself seriously and please please remember your doing this to have fun

(also something that is REALLY helping me right now is this video absolutely outstanding knowledge and wisdom beyond music here: https://vimeo.com/36301689)

Much love friend

Wise words, bro, I really appreciate your insight rather than simply giving me step-by-step guidelines because you're right, we are doing this to have fun and creativity should never be sacrificed. I've settled on Ableton Live because (it's simply the best one), as you say, the workflow is great and I love not having to open multiple windows to start producing sound. Plus, I am having a bunch of fun with the trial version so I can only imagine how much I'll enjoy the full version with plug-ins and all. Thank goodness for the PDC being fixed because I was starting to worry, so right on for the heads up. I wish you the best as well and maybe one day I can give you advice/insight on musical matters.

Peace!

Back