Coming up with a producer name

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidrhymes

Please post any tips you have for coming up with a dope name, i really like the artist name "flume"..

Thanks for the advice..

If you need to ask for help in conjuring a producer name quit producing, in all honesty inspiration is everywhere and this should be considered when choosing any sort of name in an effort to brand yourself.

If you need to ask for help in conjuring a producer name quit producing, in all honesty inspiration is everywhere and this should be considered when choosing any sort of name in an effort to brand yourself.

that's just stupid. Most good names are taken and coming up with a cool name is one of the hardest things to do, which is why you have all these rappers called lil ___ and producers with lame names like ____ beats. Stop being delusional.

Last edited:
You might want to lookup names before you nake them official.I think I have seen a guy named flume with about 100k+ fans and he is a electronic producer..

Dynamite D
The Gravy Potato
G-Murda Yung Snupe
Lil Hamsta
Mickey Danger
Heavy Crevasse
Midi Murder
Zeus Tha Deuce
Flapjack Frank & the Furious Fifteen
Flute Toots McGee
Jupiter Horizon
Django tha Destroya
The Dapper Corgi Collective
Dyno-Might

that's just stupid. Most good names are taken and coming up with a cool name is one of the hardest things to do, which is why you have all these rappers called lil ___ and producers with lame names like ____ beats. Stop being delusional.

I find "Lil ___" somewhat irritating because at first glance, it seems as though there's no reason for it to be there.
On further thought, however, it's clear that it exists as a trade description.
Through common usage, it has come to mean, "Hi, my name is ___, and I am a rapper."

In addition, "___ Beats" might sound uninspired, but it serves the purpose of description: It directly indicates what you do.
If I simply went by "Salem" (as many people shorten it to) rather than "Salem Beats",
people would have a hard time finding me on Google because there's a lot of cities and other things out there named "Salem".

"Lil ___" or "___ Beats" creates a context.

The most crucially identifying information exists within the "___" section.
What you put there isn't so important so long as it's unique and memorable:
You make the name into something "cool" by doing cool things that people will inevitably associate with your name.

Imagine that Walmart was the name of one rickety little convenience store that's located in the middle of the Nevada desert with maybe 3 customers per day.
Everything is falling apart, they don't make much money, the paint is chipping, etc.
Associate the name with failure, and the name doesn't carry the same ring to it, does it?

Walmart only sounds like the name of a powerful company because it is one, and without this context, the name actually sounds pretty stupid when you think about it (What is it, a home improvement store that sells only walls?).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
My name is Clay. I thought about it for......i'm just playing I always use this. I heard some big name DJ/producer say he just used his xbox gamertag. I wouldnt use it if it was something like "ilikebigbootys123" then again....lol maybe.

Ive only seen two posts by you, and in both you were telling the OP that maybe they need to quit producing.
Not the way you should be goin about this.

But to the OP its really up to you. Example, Run from Run-DMC used that name since his mother or g-ma use to call him Run since he would run at the mouth. So just think of something that sums you up.

Yeah, I agree with the guy who said Flume is already taken. You don't want to copy someone who's already a household name.

I was once in a blues rock band called "Jiveturkey Sandwich" We were all initially happy with the name because it sounded cool and was fun to say. Eventually we tired of the novelty and changed our name to "Free Booze."
Moral of the story: Don't pick a name just because it sounds cool in the moment. Pick a name that reflects something about yourself and/or the music you make. I picked my producer name based on the real name of a comic book character that is a sarcastic, mouthy ******* not unlike myself. The name choice also highlights my geek nature IF the person is into comic books. When I hear Flume I think "Log Flume" Regardless of it's taken status, are you or your music an old school ride at an amusement park?

I honestly think genre plays a huge role in choosing your alias..

You should look at all the artists within your genre, and build your name in a way that not only reflects the common theme to each name, but also has meaning to you. It's not something that you can easily conjure up, so don't stress yourself out. It will come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back