Coming at it from the "musical" side

Pelpro

Hey everyone, hopefully it's not too much trouble to give your two cents. I've had a look around at the site and FAQs and it's lots of great information.

Maybe in contrast to some people, I'm coming at electronic production not as a hardware/software guy who just needs to figure out the whole technical music thing, but more the other way around. I've played instruments and dealt with music theory most of my life and now I really want to try more electronic based styles. The thing is, I don't really think in terms of genre, and I'm not looking for a setup geared exclusively towards electronic/EDM. I want the option to blend fairly raw beat and synth styles with potentially instrumental packs, or even combining a workflow with Sibelius (music writing software for acoustic/orchestral styles). So this could be orchestral sounds, video game-style music in all its diversity, perhaps live recording at some point, all in addition to electronic/trance.

The number one thing I think I need is a suitable DAW recommendation. I guess there's other considerations such as plugins and samples but presumably that comes later. Basically, is there one DAW choice that gives me better versatility? Something I should steer away from? Or anything I'm missing? Thanks a lot for taking a look.

Back